Pitchers and Catchers Report

1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

Is this going to be more of a paper or will they be presenting slides?

One thing we know for sure is it's going to be on zoom and 1 of them is gonna mistakenly turn on a filter that makes them a cat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is off topic but I didn't know where else to put it.. but I just realized we got Beloit for High A?? God it would have been awesome if they ended up in the Quad Cities instead. Snappers.. bastards! 

Anyway, carry on

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Worth noting. Again, Paul Campbell was being stretched out to start games by the Rays, so it may be him.

We need a lot of solid depth in the pen for the first month or so until the starting pitchers have worked up some innings.

We will probably entertain the 6th man rotation with Neidert/Garrett or when Cabrera is ready.  I definitely think a 6 man rotation is the way to go. 

25 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

We need a lot of solid depth in the pen for the first month or so until the starting pitchers have worked up some innings.

We will probably entertain the 6th man rotation with Neidert/Garrett or when Cabrera is ready.  I definitely think a 6 man rotation is the way to go. 

Paul Campbell, dammit! Lol. (At the beginning.)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I mean it’s not like I guessed the winning lotto numbers, but I called this from the start. We’re gonna see a much different Jorge this season.

Indeed. Glad the last few games + playoffs lit a fire under him.

• Like 3
Just now, SongInTheAir said:

So Mattingly will consider a 6-man rotation but still can't figure out how to use an opener? Annoying. 

Since he doesn't know how to use an opener, I wonder who opens Mattingly's cans for him?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Since he doesn't know how to use an opener, I wonder who opens Mattingly's cans for him?

Depends on the contents, I think.

Can of snakes? Curtiss.

Can of fish? Bass.

Can of pinto beans? Renyel.

Other cans? All can Tara

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

So Mattingly will consider a 6-man rotation but still can't figure out how to use an opener? Annoying. 

Openers are what you use when you're not confident in your rotation. Watch -- the Rays might actually use the opener far less this year with their improved rotation. I mean, who on this staff needs an opener? I guess you could make a case for Elieser, but he was elite in his outings (albeit twice through the order). I'd rather have that elite business come at the front, then mix and match with the bullpen later.

14 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Openers are what you use when you're not confident in your rotation. Watch -- the Rays might actually use the opener far less this year with their improved rotation. I mean, who on this staff needs an opener? I guess you could make a case for Elieser, but he was elite in his outings (albeit twice through the order). I'd rather have that elite business come at the front, then mix and match with the bullpen later.

Definitely Elieser though.

If you can get two elite innings from an Opener then five elite innings by Elieser, I'll take it in that order. Having Elieser start with, realistically, 8-9-1 will help him push for a sixth inning as well. Suddenly, 8 innings gone, you've used just two pitchers, now use best pitcher for the coming situation.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Elieser would pair brilliantly with an opener, and I think Rogers would too. Sandy and Pablo don't need one, but Sixto could actually benefit from one as well. It allows your starters (usually the best pitchers on the team) to go "deeper" into the game because they get a late start. It also helps because by the time the starter has thrown 4 or so innings, you'll know if you want to keep him in (close game) or let him rest early (lopsided in either direction). There is a lot of benefit to the opener strategy besides just not trusting your rotaish. 

• Like 1

Honestly if I ran a team, I might do my best to fill the pitching staff with nothing but good to elite relievers pitching 2-3 innings per game.

13 relievers.

Maximum five a game (standard 9 innings).

Nobody pitches two days in a row.

Nobody pitches in more than 57 games.