Harold Ramirez DFA

56 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

We should have offered Harold the contract the Padres gave Tatis. He probably would have said no since he's the greatest in baseball history, but what a shame 😞

Nothing we can do about it man.  This is a business.  Maybe we can trade him for Tatis. I heard he’s much cheaper actually.

Not a MOTY move. Thanks Mattingly!!

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

It’s a forgone conclusion at this point.  I look at it this way. If it can’t get any worse, but maybe it can get little better.

I like you. Really good way to look at it.

Also if Federico Polanco turns into anything, that was a byproduct of the Yelich trade, so that could turn into an improvement there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, canada-marlin24 said:

Like Harold but we’ll see how this goes. Harrison is 25 and already being talked about as needing more minor league work. 

Yelich trade keeps getting worse and worse. 

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=mil

Milwaukee's Top 30 at the time of the trade... Really no "big name can't miss" hitting  prospects here.  Brinson was their #1.  Corey Ray is very similar to Brinson if we had gotten him.  A 26 year-old who still hasn't made it (I wanted him to do well since I pulled an autographed card of his out of a pack of Bowman).  Another high-ranked prospect, Trent Clark is now 25 and with the Padres.  It's hindsight, but looking back we really shoulda traded Yelich to a team with a better farm system.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/?list=mil

Milwaukee's Top 30 at the time of the trade... Really no "big name can't miss" hitting  prospects here.  Brinson was their #1.  Corey Ray is very similar to Brinson if we had gotten him.  A 26 year-old who still hasn't made it (I wanted him to do well since I pulled an autographed card of his out of a pack of Bowman).  Another high-ranked prospect, Trent Clark is now 25 and with the Padres.  It's hindsight, but looking back we really shoulda traded Yelich to a team with a better farm system.

The problem was Milwaukee's system was the best out of teams that were interested.

If it can be believed, only two teams called about him.

3 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Kinda begs the question: Did we have to trade him when we did, or should we have waited until the next trade deadline and see if another suitor had a better deal?

Yeah probably should have waited another year and seen what else we could have gotten. Or deadline of 18.

1 hour ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Kinda begs the question: Did we have to trade him when we did, or should we have waited until the next trade deadline and see if another suitor had a better deal?

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

That gets into the whole "didn't need to trade him" aspect.

Right but I remember at the time thinking that was the best time to do it because his value was only going to go down as the years remaining on his contract went down. So while they didn't have to do it I think the justification was that he doesn't wanna be here and there is no better time to get the highest return than now so while it didn't work out, it was justified at the time. And yes like Michael said, it was one trade... there isn't one team that doesn't make some trades that don't work out. I'd venture to guess that most trades actually don't work out. You hear about the ones that do but how many countless trades never pan out but are also never spoken of again. We made the playoffs only a few years after that trade so I'll take it.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Right but I remember at the time thinking that was the best time to do it because his value was only going to go down as the years remaining on his contract went down. So while they didn't have to do it I think the justification was that he doesn't wanna be here and there is no better time to get the highest return than now so while it didn't work out, it was justified at the time. And yes like Michael said, it was one trade... there isn't one team that doesn't make some trades that don't work out. I'd venture to guess that most trades actually don't work out. You hear about the ones that do but how many countless trades never pan out but are also never spoken of again. We made the playoffs only a few years after that trade so I'll take it.

Just hurts even more because the Marlins had a history of dumb trades under Loria

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I still contend the team had to trade him; Yelich gave them no choice.

Derek Jeter comes in, preaching a new mentality, a new brand, a new path forward, but he keeps a star who grumbles to the media that he's not on board, that things are going in a bad direction? The folks around these parts would have complained until their keyboards broke. Imagine trying to get buy-in from the players, coaches, training staff, scouts -- anyone! -- if you keep saying "good things are happening" but your superstar is saying "this team is trending in the wrong direction; I wanna go."

Y'all can say all you want, "They should've just sucked it up and told Yelich to deal with it." But it's not about Yelich -- it's about the fellas he was in the clubhouse with, the young guys he would have been complaining to. Imagine how likely BA or Miggy or guys like Connor Scott or Sandy Alcantara would have developed or felt inclined to sign an extension if the team's de facto leader was in open revolt.

Denbo and them were hired to change the culture, create a Yankee-style culture here in Miami. Yeah that rubbed some people the wrong way, but it's hard to say it didn't work.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Is there a trade you are particularly pleased with right now? (no catch - I am just curious)

Edited by Major-Minor
extra word