Fernando Tatis Signs Mega-Extension

13 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I haven't seen anything on the breakdown of the contract.

But with the other hefty contracts they have on the books (which I pointed out above), I can't see how it doesn't start small and increase heavily as the contract goes on.

Considering FTJ wasn't even in arbitration yet, this is very likely. But if he progresses like normal, it's probably mid-loaded to be honest. Ages 27-32 being the highest AAV.

20 hours ago, Michael said:

Considering FTJ wasn't even in arbitration yet, this is very likely. But if he progresses like normal, it's probably mid-loaded to be honest. Ages 27-32 being the highest AAV.

Yup, that's also a factor.

He made $555k last year.....could see it being maybe 600-750 for this year.

solid deal for both sides.  if he continues progressing this will be an absolute steal of a deal for the Padres in just a couple years.  If this is his peak? still a solid deal overall. I don't like super long contracts like this but that's likely how they were able to lower the overall cost per season for a guy who could end up being a top 5 player in MLB. 

it's a risk, but it's not like Tatis came out of nowhere, he was highly touted as a prospect and he lived up to the hype so the odds are solid this will be a solid deal barring some catastrophic injury, etc. 

anyway, Padres fans have to be elated with their future.

They finally put out the breakdown:

The Padres have announced their mega-contract with Tatis (via Twitter). Tatis will make $1MM in 2021, $5MM in 2022, $7MM in 2023, $11MM in 2024, $20MM apiece in 2025 and 2026, $25MM in 2027 and 2028, and then $36MM yearly from 2029 through 2034, per MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand (via Twitter).

As expected, it starts low and then skyrockets to 36M/year for the last 6 years.