Mariners CEO Kevin Mather sticks foot in his mouth repeatedly

This actually gives me an appreciation for guys like Jeter and Mike Hill who know how to talk to the media and not say much or too much, which, while it can be frustrating, is better than this guy who didn't know when to shut up...

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-ceo-kevin-mather-addresses-jarred-kelenic-team-finances-and-more-in-rotary-speech/

• Banana 1

9 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

What in the world possessed that man to think he should let all that out with that group?

The whole thing just feels like he felt that he was talking in private, like if he was talking to his wife at the dinner table, or to his best friend in the car. The odd thing is, I'd argue that he didn't say anything explicitly wrong, it's just that he said things he shouldn't have said out loud and poorly worded at that and it makes everyone running that organization now look awful.

He said what basically the majority of owners feel.

Old rich entitled white men.  

This is primarily why the players essentially said fuck you the owners on anything this winter.

This is going to be one hell of a brutal strike.

The thing that makes me laugh about the follow up to this... people go bananas with wanting to get the guy fired and they do that and they get an apology from Mather and from the Mariners but does that really change anything? I'm not saying everyone in the Mariners front office is as dumb as this guy but this guy peeled back the curtain and I'm sure there's a ton of people who think exactly the way he does in every MLB front office. This guy just was too stupid to hide it but the problem is still there.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The thing that makes me laugh about the follow up to this... people go bananas with wanting to get the guy fired and they do that and they get an apology from Mather and from the Mariners but does that really change anything? I'm not saying everyone in the Mariners front office is as dumb as this guy but this guy peeled back the curtain and I'm sure there's a ton of people who think exactly the way he does in every MLB front office. This guy just was too stupid to hide it but the problem is still there.

Bingo.

Basically revealed many owners true thoughts as seen by their actions through the years.

By the way... people ripped on Derek Jeter for saying he expected his team to win when the rebuild began in 2018 and 2019... they couldn't believe he would say this... they couldn't believe he wouldn't publicly admit to tanking...

Kevin Mather just lit the Mariners organization on fire for saying several things but one of which being that the Mariners weren't likely to make the playoffs in 2021 and confirming that they weren't trying to do so and were more worried about service time and stuff like that... basically confirming tanking.

How does Jeter get ripped for speaking positively about his team in public and for setting expectations high even if they seem to be a stretch? To me that's way better than flat out saying you're tanking. Also, it's about setting up a culture. The Mariners players now know they have no real goal to reach in 2021... the Marlins players were always told to expect to win and while that seemed ridiculous in 2018, that mindset is what set them up defy all odds just two years later.

Thank you Derek Jeter!

• Like 2

Lmao nothing but positives coming from this. 1) One less undeserving idiot has a job. I don’t even care that he had any of those feelings; I expect all these rich ass exec types are the same. He deserves to be fired for being stupid enough to admit this on a recorded meeting to people he didn’t need to admit it to lol. And 2) I get to laugh at someone else’s misfortune 

Edited by marlinsmaniac