Jump to content

Bleday is a possibility in 2021


SonOfJack
 Share

Recommended Posts


If the team is contention and he's producing in the minors, he could be a great addition, if on the other hand the team isn't in contention I'd prefer they wait and keep his service time down so they don't have to start the arbitration clock.

Either way he'll be in The Show for good come 2022 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, fanofthefish said:

ither way he'll be in The Show for good come 2022 

The video game? He'd only be in it for as long as he remains an active player unless he makes a name for himself and ends up as a diamond dynasty card I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, fanofthefish said:

If the team is contention and he's producing in the minors, he could be a great addition, if on the other hand the team isn't in contention I'd prefer they wait and keep his service time down so they don't have to start the arbitration clock.

Either way he'll be in The Show for good come 2022 

Nah, none of that. If he's doing well, he deserves to be up here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as service time is a thing teams will find ways to manipulate it, it just won't be as blatant. And to be honest, why shouldn't they manipulate it? If a team is good enough to contend for the postseason holding back a player for a month and a half to two months isn't gonna hurt their playoff chances. You shouldn't just dick around a guy sending him up and down randomly but delaying a guy's debut by a month is fair enough within the construct of the rules. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe service time shouldn't be counted so finite by days. If a season is counted regardless of what date the player is called up that would change things. But the way it is now, coming up in May is very different than coming up in April even though it's only a month apart and that's part of the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Maybe service time shouldn't be counted so finite by days. If a season is counted regardless of what date the player is called up that would change things. But the way it is now, coming up in May is very different than coming up in April even though it's only a month apart and that's part of the problem.

I think Foolish Baseball mentioned it but he had the idea that service time should begin as soon as you're on the 40-man roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Guarantee you this idiotic way to manipulate salary by the owners is going to be changed.

Its dickish.  

Its all about business and its dickish.

 

Its why the players are going to strike, its 'all about business'.  

I agree with all of this but at the same time, I fully understand why teams currently manipulate. No reason not to take advantage of the rules in place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael said:

I think Foolish Baseball mentioned it but he had the idea that service time should begin as soon as you're on the 40-man roster.

I don't think that's a fair way to do it.  So you have guys on the 40-man that aren't with the major league club because there are other guys already there, but you're going to lose control of that guy when he's not even playing on the team?  Doesn't make sense to me.

 

 

The simplest way to do it is to start the clock if he comes up at all during the season.  Whether that's in April or September.

 

A season counts as a season - none of this complicated 84.36432569 days = clock starting formula.

 

That approach may suck for the team finance wise, but it'd encourage them to bring up a guy earlier if he's truly ready, and/or leave them down if they're not.  If a team leaves a guy down the whole season, they're going to get the extra year of control (as they would have in the current system by keeping him down a month or whatever), but the team doesn't get the added performance/help of said player on the field for that year if they choose to do that.

 

I don't think there's any perfect way - and as someone said, teams will find workarounds regardless of what's put in place.  It's about picking the "best of the bunch" I guess.

Edited by rmc523
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't think that's a fair way to do it.  So you have guys on the 40-man that aren't with the major league club because there are other guys already there, but you're going to lose control of that guy when he's not even playing on the team?  Doesn't make sense to me.

It forces the team to not hold their top prospects down though. But, they'd just keep em off the 40 then ... so eh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Michael said:

It forces the team to not hold their top prospects down though. But, they'd just keep em off the 40 then ... so eh.

Like I said, regardless teams will work around the rules to their benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...