Top Spring Training Battles

FishFan95

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm not sure everyone is looking at this thing the right way. This competition between Jazz and Isan is only to determine who is the 2B to start this season. No matter what happens with that decision, Jazz is the starting SS in 2022, if not earlier. It's not like Isan is taking long term playing time away from Jazz. If Rojas wasn't still on the team, Jazz would be the SS on Opening Day '21 and Isan would be the 2B. The competition is just for the short term and in the long term the questions are about Isan and Isan only, I don't think there's many questions about Jazz's role down the line.

This shouldn’t be about Isan vs Jazz like you said.  It is however about Isan  hitting rock bottom and how to get it fixed for ‘22.  We also shouldn’t assume that sending him down would be the end of career either.  Keeping him in the majors because he has nothing to prove in AAA is just an excuse that could backfire. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

This shouldn’t be about Isan vs Jazz like you said.  It is however about Isan  hitting rock bottom and how to get it fixed for ‘22.  We also shouldn’t assume that sending him down would be the end of career either.  Keeping him in the majors because he has nothing to prove in AAA is just an excuse that could backfire. 

And just because he's proven he can play in AAA doesn't automatically mean he's ready for the majors either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

And just because he's proven he can play in AAA doesn't automatically mean he's ready for the majors either.

Sending him down doesn’t mean he needs to prove himself again.  Nothing should be assumed on how he does if he is optioned down.  It’s just to pump the breaks is all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Ooh boy, watching Connor Scott and Victor Victor Mesa slap around MLB pitcher Giovanny Gallegos -- it gives me palpitations! Those are two outfielders not even on the OF prospect scene for the Marlins right now, and there's a real chance they would have been Top 10 prospects in the 2017 farm system.

I do not miss the days when our first round pick immediately became our #1 prospect (Kolek, Garrett, et al).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I'm sure he could crack the roster of a shit team, like the Marlins of 2018 or the present day Cardinals. But the Marlins have added and added -- Dickerson, Marte, Duvall, Aguilar (pushing Cooper to part-time OF). It's a good problem to have. Good teams call up prospects when the prospects are destroying the minors, not when the team has a gap.

Prospect status technically evaporates for Harrison after this season.  At this point, I'm not really sure you can consider him a prospect really given his age.  

At this point Harrison is teetering very close to the bust status.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Not really sure why everyone is assuming Diaz will automatically be the 2b for the Marlins in 2022 and doesnt get passed on the depth chart....

LIke by a Jose Devers (forcing Jazz to remain at 2b) or even a Nasim Nunez.  

Like Harrison, Diaz is entering the stage of being too old to consider a prospect at this point (forgetting completely he has no rookie status anymore)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Not really sure why everyone is assuming Diaz will automatically be the 2b for the Marlins in 2022 and doesnt get passed on the depth chart....

Like Harrison, Diaz is entering the stage of being too old to consider a prospect at this point (forgetting completely he has no rookie status anymore)

It was hypothetical, that if Isan is optioned, he still may have a chance to retain 2b in ‘22 or earlier.  Of course it’s circumstantial.  Silver and I already said nothing should be assumed.  That doesn’t mean you can’t game plan for it though.

I was going to put Isan down as my “you’re busted” pick, but I feared the pitch forks and went with Alfaro.  When  Isan left the team (for a long stint) last year,  it begs the question to his commitment to baseball IMO.  I even went as far to say that he may be traded and that didn’t go to well.  I still root for Isan in every AB.  

4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Jose Devers be looking like he's hungry for a spot. He's gunning for one for sure.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

While ST win loss records don't matter this as a whole is pretty nice....

So is it just a coincidence or is it a sign of a shift in team culture? Or a little of both? Or nothing at all? Maybe this entire organization is actually taking things more seriously?

Maybe they should wear the blue uniforms for regular season games

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

While ST win loss records don't matter this as a whole is pretty nice....

So is it just a coincidence or is it a sign of a shift in team culture? Or a little of both? Or nothing at all? Maybe this entire organization is actually taking things more seriously?

I think there's at least a modest correlation with the improved minor league talent. Prospects play almost 50% of the spring games, so it follows an improved farm system should positively impact the spring record.

At least that's my theory.

• Like 3