Top Spring Training Battles

26 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Yikes. If Jon Berti is going to play 2B a bunch, I'd rather have Isan up. Jazz needs to be full time when he arrives.

He didn't specify Berti a lot at second base. Berti's a utility guy so he'll be all around.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Yikes. If Jon Berti is going to play 2B a bunch, I'd rather have Isan up. Jazz needs to be full time when he arrives.

Jazz will basically be full time.  Berti will fill in to protect Jazz from a lefty matchup and start for Rojas on his days off. 

No room on this team for Isan unfortunately. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Michael said:

He didn't specify Berti a lot at second base. Berti's a utility guy so he'll be all around.

Looking at the context Mish is talking there, it seems very clear he's saying Berti will play 2B a "quite a bit." I'm actually all for him getting the majority of 2B time in 2021 -- I suspect he'd outplay both the young guys. But 2022? I imagine both Isan and Jazz would outplay Berti.

So you add Mish's comment to what Mattingly said tonight:

I'm calling it now: Berti gets the most playing time at 2B this year. Jazz starts in Jacksonville and comes up the moment there's a 100% playing time share for him (injury/underperformance from SS, 2B, or even 3B).

48 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Jazz will basically be full time.  Berti will fill in to protect Jazz from a lefty matchup and start for Rojas on his days off. 

No room on this team for Isan unfortunately. 

Fortunately for the Marlins success that is.

25 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Looking at the context Mish is talking there, it seems very clear he's saying Berti will play 2B a "quite a bit." I'm actually all for him getting the majority of 2B time in 2021 -- I suspect he'd outplay both the young guys. But 2022? I imagine both Isan and Jazz would outplay Berti.

So you add Mish's comment to what Mattingly said tonight:

I'm calling it now: Berti gets the most playing time at 2B this year. Jazz starts in Jacksonville and comes up the moment there's a 100% playing time share for him (injury/underperformance from SS, 2B, or even 3B).

The only way that happens if an injury occurs.

Guaranteed. 

Just now, jeffreysfishfry said:

A MOTY would never send Jazz down now.  It’s not even debatable.  

The lineups lately do nothing but confirm that Jazz has the job at this point already.

Berti isnt even getting starts.  

No way will he be an everyday regular to start the season.  

Why would Mattingly be anything but coy at this point?  The competition is still 'ongoing' officially, but the daily lineups say otherwise tbh. 

• Like 1
Just now, Das Texan said:

The lineups lately do nothing but confirm that Jazz has the job at this point already.

Berti isnt even getting starts.  

No way will he be an everyday regular to start the season.  

Why would Mattingly be anything but coy at this point?  The competition is still 'ongoing' officially, but the daily lineups say otherwise tbh. 

It’s not even that Berti is behind Jazz either. It’s just that the utility role should be freed up to do that, play utility.  That is why we need an everyday 2b. No way Jazz is sent down. 

Just now, jeffreysfishfry said:

It’s not even that Berti is behind Jazz either. It’s just that the utility role should be freed up to do that, play utility.  That is why we need an everyday 2b. No way Jazz is sent down. 

It was always going to be Isan or Jazz to open the season at 2b.   But the awful first 3 weeks really of ST had to make the Marlins second guess that thinking.

Luckily Jazz has separated himself in the last couple of weeks now. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

Good eyes. I had to be subtle though, as there was a lot at steak, lots of skin in the game.

Thanks Spud. I thought that after I wrote that I would get Roasted, but thankfully there are a lot of couch potatoes here, so no one was peeling like doing that.

• Like 1