Top Spring Training Battles

39 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

After game 2 (Spring totals):

2B battle:

Isan Díaz: 0-1 (0-3, K)
Jazz Chisholm: DNP (1-2, HR, 1 RBI)

5th SP:

Trevor Rogers: DNP
Nick Neidert: DNP (2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 K, 0 BB, 0 ER)
Daniel Castano: DNP (2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 K, 1 BB, 1 ER)

4th OF Spot:

Magneuris Sierra: DNP (0-2)
Lewis Brinson: 0-1 (1-3, HR 2 RBI)

*7th and 8th RP:

Adam Climer: DNP
James Hoyt: DNP
Zach Pop: DNP
Paul Campbell: DNP

26th Roster Spot

Eddy Alvarez: DNP
Tommy Eveld DNP (1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K, 0 BB, 0 ER)

*I would say that Anthony Bass, Yimi García, Dylan Floro, Richard Bleier, John Curtiss, and Ross Detwiler are givens in the pen.

If there are any other players that you think I missed, just shoot me some names. I don't think that any of our top 30 prospects not listed have a shot unless there is an injury.

I don't see anyway, barring injury, that Alvarez and Eveld sniff this roster.  

Also,  I don't see Campbell or Pop making it either unless Hoyt doesn't make the roster.   Brinson will platoon with Dickerson and Mags is the 4th OF.  Barring any trades of course but none of these players have much trade value IMO.

3 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

Also,  I don't see Campbell or Pop making it either unless Hoyt doesn't make the roster.   Brinson will platoon with Dickerson and Mags is the 4th OF.  Barring any trades of course but none of these players have much trade value IMO.

I believe Pop will start the season on the injured list so that's not a big deal for now.

Campbell could, either as Starter #5 or a long reliever.

And no roster limits for pitchers so we could carry 9 relievers ...

5 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

Alvarez and Eveld are the only guys worth mentioning for the last spot. Keep in mind the 26th spot will almost certainly go to one of the "losers" for the other battles so they are still long shots. I would have also mentioned guys like, Lewin Díaz, Monte Harroson, Jesus Sanchez, etc for that  spot as well if it wasn't for the fact that the team will want to give those guys full playing time in AAA over bench in the bigs.

Both Campbell and Pop have decent numbers in the minors and are rule 5 picks, so they are certainly in the conversation. I can definitely see them going with them over Cimber and Hoyt.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

After game 2 (Spring totals):

2B battle:

Isan Díaz: 0-1 (0-3, K)
Jazz Chisholm: DNP (1-2, HR, 1 RBI)

5th SP:

4th OF Spot:

Magneuris Sierra: DNP (0-2)
Lewis Brinson: 0-1 (1-3, HR 2 RBI)

*7th and 8th RP:

Adam Cimber: DNP

26th Roster Spot

*I would say that Anthony Bass, Yimi García, Dylan Floro, Richard Bleier, John Curtiss, and Ross Detwiler are givens in the pen.

If there are any other players that you think I missed, just shoot me some names. I don't think that any of our top 30 prospects not listed have a shot unless there is an injury.

Can one of the mods fix my typo on Cimber's name?

Edited by FishFan95
11 minutes ago, Michael said:

I believe Pop will start the season on the injured list so that's not a big deal for now.

Campbell could, either as Starter #5 or a long reliever.

And no roster limits for pitchers so we could carry 9 relievers ...

Yes, but what are the odds that Campbell beats out both Neidert and Rogers.  Nor should a decent spring bump him ahead of either one of them.  

Just now, Rydawg said:

Yes, but what are the odds that Campbell beats out both Neidert and Rogers.  Nor should a decent spring bump him ahead of either one of them.  

The odds are decent considering both Neidert and Rogers have options and Campbell has to make the team or get offered back to the Rays.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

You ever consider doing that to the Called it thread, Ol’ buddy ol’ pal. 

Nah you'll have to dig that up. 😛

I'll consider it!

Mish on the Herald's Fish Bytes podcast summed up my point about spring training competitions... most of the time the team already knows who they want in these supposed competitions and spring training is them looking for validation of the decision they've already made, changes can come from that but it's not a pure competition. For 2nd base specifically Jazz is the guy because he's a Jeter picked player. Isan will get every opportunity but Jazz is the man barring a total meltdown. 

36 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Mish on the Herald's Fish Bytes podcast summed up my point about spring training competitions... most of the time the team already knows who they want in these supposed competitions and spring training is them looking for validation of the decision they've already made, changes can come from that but it's not a pure competition. For 2nd base specifically Jazz is the guy because he's a Jeter picked player. Isan will get every opportunity but Jazz is the man barring a total meltdown. 

Good.

I knew I liked Jeter for a reason.  

Though this is essentially the Marlins would prefer Rojas playing over Diaz, tbh. 

Just now, SonOfJack said:

If Jazz isn't starting on Opening Day, I am going to be pissed.

Why? I mean if the result of ST is Jazz blows it and Isan rakes wouldn't that be the right move?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Why? I mean if the result of ST is Jazz blows it and Isan rakes wouldn't that be the right move?

It would be the right move and I would be pissed Jazz blew it.

• Like 1
Just now, SonOfJack said:

It would be the right move and I would be pissed Jazz blew it.

Base case scenario - everyone makes the roster!

Rosters expanded to 300, right?

• Banana 1

After game 3 (Spring totals):

2B battle:

Isan Díaz: DNP (0-3, 1 K)
Jazz Chisholm: 0-2, K (1-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 R 1 K)

5th SP:

Braxton Garrett: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K, 3 BB, 0 ER

4th OF Spot:

Magneuris Sierra: 0-2 (0-4)
Lewis Brinson: DNP (1-3, 1 HR 2 RBI, 1 R)

7th and 8th RP:

Adam Cimber: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 0 ER

26th Roster Spot

I decided that I will place all of the guys who played in bold for clarity.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

It is true that they already have certain guys in mind, so these are not true battles in the sense that Spring stats will determine the starters. I understand that, but I am hoping that this thread will still stir up interesting conversations and get us excited for the upcoming season.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

It is true that they already have certain guys in mind, so these are not true battles in the sense that Spring stats will determine the starters. I understand that, but I am hoping that this thread will still stir up interesting conversations and get us excited for the upcoming season.

Oh man in no way was I discouraging your thread and the conversations it can create. I'm all for lively topics here.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Oh man in no way was I discouraging your thread and the conversations it can create. I'm all for lively topics here.

It's all good. I'm not trying to come across defensive. So hard to convey tone in text form...

Anyway I too love the lively conversations and I'm glad that we can all contribute.