Top Spring Training Battles

FishFan95

2 minutes ago, Iowa said:

...and who is our backup infielder? Alvarez? 

Diaz has nothing left to prove in AAA and should be a lefty off the bench. Maybe he'll get a chance to make extended starts if something happens to Berti throughout the season. Brinson probably making the team regardless IMO

I see your point about infielders, but the team doesn't want Isan or Jazz to be coming off the bench. They would rather them get regular time in AAA then part time at the big leagues. that's why one of them is ultimately penciled in as the starter.

1 hour ago, Iowa said:

It's pretty obvious Berti needs to be our everyday second basemen. Put Jazz in the minors, Diaz last off the bench and only plays 2nd when Anderson or Rojas need a day off

Isan Diaz can play ss or 3b?

Fuck I'd hate to see his sorry ass at ss.  Ever.  

10 hours ago, Iowa said:

...and who is our backup infielder? Alvarez? 

Diaz has nothing left to prove in AAA and should be a lefty off the bench. Maybe he'll get a chance to make extended starts if something happens to Berti throughout the season. Brinson probably making the team regardless IMO

It’s pretty clear you haven’t been following.

The backup infielder would be Sierra.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Guys, I think Das is right about Isan.

(Also, it's madness that any of you think Cimber should be in the minors. That dude is REALLY good at pitching. Floro has an option year remaining, by the way.)

Add Bender and I agree with this message.  

Jazz is pulling away from Isan as far as Spring numbers go, but we do have to realize that Spring stats don't really mean too much. I mean if they did, Brinson would be a fantastic major leaguer cause outside of this year his Spring numbers were fantastic. Ultimately, the team is going to make the decision based on how the players are carrying out their business and what they are seeing outside of the lines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Jazz is pulling away from Isan as far as Spring numbers go, but we do have to realize that Spring stats don't really mean too much. I mean if they did, Brinson would be a fantastic major leaguer cause outside of this year his Spring numbers were fantastic. Ultimately, the team is going to make the decision based on how the players are carrying out their business and what they are seeing outside of the lines.

But if Jazz and Isan were even remotely close on the off the field stuff, then Jazz has certainly earned the spot based on his Spring stats.

After game 17 (Spring totals):

2B battle:

Isan Díaz: 0-2, 1 K (2-22, 1 2B, 1 3B, 6 BB, 2 RBI, 2 R, 8 K, 1 HBP)
Jazz Chisholm: 0-3, 1 K, (5-26, 2 HR, 2 BB, 3 RBI, 3 R, 9 K, 1-2 SB)

5th SP:

Trevor Rogers: DNP (8.0* IP, 9 H, 13 K, 3 BB, 4 ER)
Nick Neidert: DNP (8.2 IP, 8 H, 10 K, 2 BB, 3 ER)
Daniel Castano: DNP (6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 K, 2 BB, 3 ER)

4th OF Spot:

Magneuris Sierra: 0-1, 1 K (4-19, 1 BB, 1 RBI, 1 R, 5 K, 0-1 SB)
Lewis Brinson: 0-0, 2 BB, 2 R (3-20, 1 HR, 3 BB, 3 RBI, 5 R, 4 K)

7th and 8th RP:

Adam Cimber: DNP (5.0 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 1 BB, 1 ER)
James Hoyt: DNP (4.2 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 5 BB, 3 ER)
Zach Pop: DNP (3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K, 1 BB, 0 ER)
Paul Campbell: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 K, 3 BB, 0 ER (3.0 IP, 0 H, 5 K, 3 BB, 0 ER)
Gio González^: 0.1 IP, 8 H, 0 K, 2 BB, 7 ER

26th Roster Spot

Eddy Alvarez: 0-1 (1-8, 3 BB, 1 R, 4 K)
Anthony Bender: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 K, 0 BB, 0 ER (6.0 IP, 1 H, 10 K, 0 BB, 0 ER)

*Excludes auto outs

^My thoughts on Gio's first Spring appearance:

Oh God Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

Edited by FishFan95

After game 18 (Spring totals):

2B battle:

Isan Díaz^: 0-2, 1 K (2-24, 1 2B, 1 3B, 6 BB, 2 RBI, 2 R, 9 K, 1 HBP)
Jazz Chisholm: 2-2, HR, 2 RBI, 1 R (7-28, 3 HR, 2 BB, 5 RBI, 4 R, 9 K, 1-2 SB)

5th SP:

Trevor Rogers: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 6 K, 1 BB, 2 ER (13.0* IP, 11 H, 19 K, 4 BB, 6 ER)
Nick Neidert: DNP (8.2 IP, 8 H, 10 K, 2 BB, 3 ER)
Daniel Castano: DNP (6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 K, 2 BB, 3 ER)

4th OF Spot:

Magneuris Sierra: 0-1, 1 BB, 1 K (4-20, 2 BB, 1 RBI, 1 R, 6 K, 0-1 SB)
Lewis Brinson: 1-1, 1 SB (4-21, 1 HR, 3 BB, 3 RBI, 5 R, 4 K, 1-1 SB)

7th and 8th RP:

Adam Cimber: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 K, 0 BB, 0 ER (6.0 IP, 5 H, 6 K, 1 BB, 1 ER)
James Hoyt: DNP (4.2 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 5 BB, 3 ER)
Zach Pop: DNP (3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K, 1 BB, 0 ER)
Paul Campbell: DNP (3.0 IP, 0 H, 5 K, 3 BB, 0 ER)
Gio González^: DNP (0.1 IP, 8 H, 0 K, 2 BB, 7 ER)

26th Roster Spot

Eddy Alvarez: 0-1 (1-8, 3 BB, 1 R, 4 K)
Anthony Bender: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 2 K, 0 BB, 0 ER (6.0 IP, 1 H, 10 K, 0 BB, 0 ER)

*Excludes auto outs

^Also for Isan and Gio:

The Simpsons GIF

4 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Isan should have arrived in November to prepare to not suck I guess.  

The red flag for me was when he elected not to play the majority of the Covid season.   I don’t think Isan sucks, he checked all the boxes in the minors.  I have a THEORY that he may not have his heart in the game, IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

The red flag for me was when he elected not to play the majority of the Covid season.   I don’t think Isan sucks, he checked all the boxes in the minors.  I have a THEORY that he may not have his heart in the game, IMO. 

Such a shame. I had high hopes when I saw him in AAA against the Aviators, here in Vegas. He had a couple hits. Excited to see how he'd do in the Bigs but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he bows out of baseball all-together within a year or 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QbanCastillo said:

Such a shame. I had high hopes when I saw him in AAA against the Aviators, here in Vegas. He had a couple hits. Excited to see how he'd do in the Bigs but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he bows out of baseball all-together within a year or 2.

Maybe more now then ever, he needs to prove himself in the minors, instead of this idea that he has nothing else to prove. 

It's reasonable that Isan Diaz may be hanging his head a little. After all, he is "competing" against a player with more defensive range, a better glove, better arm, far more footspeed, and of course much more bat speed.

I hear the nonsense about Isan Diaz having nothing to prove in the minors. Tell that to Harold Ramirez and Austin Dean, who both had superior OPS to Diaz on that 2019 Baby Cakes team. Fact is, Eddy Alvarez had the same OPS as Diaz on that club.

I'm just pleased that Jazz is starting to show signs of fulfilling his vast potential.

Ramirez had 120 PA in AAA in 2019.

Dean had 282.

Isan had 435.

It's not exaaactly an apples to apples comparison.

And while we're at it ... we need to unfortunately discard stats from 2019 AAA. They used the juiced MLB ball that season. Ty France nearly batted .400 in AAA that year. He had 27 homers in 73 games. France is a good hitter, but he's not Ted Williams up there. I have my doubts he even hits 27 homers over a full MLB season. Just as an example.

That should unfortunately cause more concern for Isan and, you know what, maybe he DOES have more to prove in AAA.

7 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Slightly in his defense here, he opted out after the team's outbreak, then he did try and return, and got injured within a few games of his return. He ended up really only "opting out" of half the season.

I'm not sure everyone is looking at this thing the right way. This competition between Jazz and Isan is only to determine who is the 2B to start this season. No matter what happens with that decision, Jazz is the starting SS in 2022, if not earlier. It's not like Isan is taking long term playing time away from Jazz. If Rojas wasn't still on the team, Jazz would be the SS on Opening Day '21 and Isan would be the 2B. The competition is just for the short term and in the long term the questions are about Isan and Isan only, I don't think there's many questions about Jazz's role down the line.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm not sure everyone is looking at this thing the right way. This competition between Jazz and Isan is only to determine who is the 2B to start this season. No matter what happens with that decision, Jazz is the starting SS in 2022, if not earlier. It's not like Isan is taking long term playing time away from Jazz. If Rojas wasn't still on the team, Jazz would be the SS on Opening Day '21 and Isan would be the 2B. The competition is just for the short term and in the long term the questions are about Isan and Isan only, I don't think there's many questions about Jazz's role down the line.

I know what this is, but I want Jazz NOW