SilverBullet

2019 MLB Draft, Marlins pick 4th, select OF JJ Bleday

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Sounds like Bleday was their top choice.

Jeter and Co went to watch this kid play didn't they? did they do the same for the other top prospects ?

42 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

Wizard of Oz (Ozzie Smith) 2.0

Switch Hitter...Elite range   A+ arm.

He is also lightning fast

Fangraphs projects Bleday as the 60th best prospect right now. So below Sixto and above everyone else.

mlb.com

4) Marlins: JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt
Bleday entered the year as a likely first-round pick, although more in the middle of the first round. Scouts knew he could hit and play right field, but they wanted to see him show more power. Mission accomplished. Bleday led NCAA Division I with 26 home runs entering the NCAA Tournament without losing his ability to still hit for average (.353). He immediately becomes the best offensive prospect in the Marlins system.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

WOnder why Matthew Allan has slid down past the 2nd round... he was ranked 13

Maybe sign-ability issues. Still might see a team pick him and under slot their first couple of picks. could see the Cubs or Brewers do that. Perhaps that is why they Cubs went with the 99 ranked guy with the 27th pick.

Is it a stupid question to ask whether Bleday can play 1B? I just feel like the Marlins have way too many OF in their system. They need more IF and pitching depth. Catching I think we’re ok for now. Ik Bleday is L/L so defensively, he can only play 1B or OF. 

9 hours ago, Das Texan said:

marlins targeting pitching isnt a bad idea.

This line I agree on. Draft arms and trade for bats as needed.

8 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Manfred talking about the shift. Clearly the league has adjusted to the shift. At least they have adjusted to the way the Marlins use it.

Is that still the case though? Seems like it's been working better of late, but I don't have the data in front of me to confirm that. Mostly just going on the recent run. Feels like our pitchers are pitching more towards the shift behind them finally.

7 hours ago, el_gmac said:

Jeter and Co went to watch this kid play didn't they? did they do the same for the other top prospects ?

Not to my knowledge, no. Does not mean they didn't, of course, I Just don't know!

6 hours ago, Edwin Velez said:

Wizard of Oz (Ozzie Smith) 2.0

Switch Hitter...Elite range   A+ arm.

He is also lightning fast

Abrams fast? Faster?!