SilverBullet

2019 MLB Draft, Marlins pick 4th, select OF JJ Bleday

Cheap Jeter wasn't at those games to scout any players. He went to those games just because he wanted to watch baseball and those collegiate games are cheaper tickets than any mlb games. That's all. It's merely a coincidence that the Marlins drafted people from those games.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

Is it a stupid question to ask whether Bleday can play 1B? I just feel like the Marlins have way too many OF in their system. They need more IF and pitching depth. Catching I think we’re ok for now. Ik Bleday is L/L so defensively, he can only play 1B or OF. 

Misner has experience playing 1B. The draft is all about Best Player Available. So many of these guys never pan out.  It would be a losing battle to draft simply based on need. Keep in mind, there is still an international signing period and trade deadline to add layers to the infield depth in the org. MLB draft is best player available 

• Like 3

teams really enhance their prospect pool by finding those later round gems anyway.  the MLB draft isn't like any of the other major sports where you have a handful of rounds and you're done.  My only concern with Bleday would be that hitch he has in his swing - I think Harold Reynolds also pointed it out.  I didn't go digging to find older video of him but I do wonder if that's the primary cause in his giant power spike and how that same hitch will translate to MLB.  Overall though, he was the player the marlins should have taken at #4 so good job not screwing that up!

The Mizener pick i knew nothing about but i cringe when i hear a guy is the best "toolsy" player. I know those guys just never seem to pan out for the Marlins. Here's hoping both of these guys really do pan out and the whole rebuild is accelerated that much faster.

Arizona had an  interesting night as they took a slew of high ceiling high school kids, who, if they do well will really boost their own mini-rebuild that much faster too.  No, I'm not a dbacks fan but I do live out here in Phoenix so I kinda keep tabs on them to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

Is it a stupid question to ask whether Bleday can play 1B? I just feel like the Marlins have way too many OF in their system. They need more IF and pitching depth. Catching I think we’re ok for now. Ik Bleday is L/L so defensively, he can only play 1B or OF. 

They only have too many OF if they all pan out, and that's no sure thing.  Take what you can get, and if they do all work out, you can either shift guys around (move one to 1B, for example), or trade him somewhere for something else you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

teams really enhance their prospect pool by finding those later round gems anyway.  the MLB draft isn't like any of the other major sports where you have a handful of rounds and you're done.  My only concern with Bleday would be that hitch he has in his swing - I think Harold Reynolds also pointed it out.  I didn't go digging to find older video of him but I do wonder if that's the primary cause in his giant power spike and how that same hitch will translate to MLB.  Overall though, he was the player the marlins should have taken at #4 so good job not screwing that up!

The Mizener pick i knew nothing about but i cringe when i hear a guy is the best "toolsy" player. I know those guys just never seem to pan out for the Marlins. Here's hoping both of these guys really do pan out and the whole rebuild is accelerated that much faster.

Arizona had an  interesting night as they took a slew of high ceiling high school kids, who, if they do well will really boost their own mini-rebuild that much faster too.  No, I'm not a dbacks fan but I do live out here in Phoenix so I kinda keep tabs on them to.

I had the same concerns on Bleday, but like you said, he was BPA. He was the right pick, and now it’s up to our developmental staff to make sure we maximize his value. Verdugo and even Bellinger to an extend have a similar load. It works for some guys, and doesn’t for others. Time will tell

I am personally ecstatic. We did something we never do. We took two low floor picks in the first round. Followed by a young defensive shortstop. Literally the only position that doesn't have to hit. We did it!! This is what a draft should look like!

What a great day. 

Man the Marlins have sucked at this for so so sooooo long!!!

Only the first rounders fly to Miami and are shown around ? or maybe all three 

5 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

Only the first rounders fly to Miami and are shown around ? or maybe all three 

Stalker