SilverBullet

2019 MLB Draft, Marlins pick 4th, select OF JJ Bleday

48 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

I’m ok with that too. Although I hope they pick a college guy.

Yes, I would 100% prefer that. Abrams has been scouted to be a pretty good hitter with elite speed, though, so, leadoff type guy.

I want Vaughn.

Picking within the top 5 is almost as good as picking first in the sense that you are basically guaranteed to get someone considered a great pick so to blow that opportunity on some chicanery where you're going below slot for some creative drafting in later rounds would be really stupid.

Last year when they picked like 8th or 9th it's more understandable as you aren't guaranteed to get the quality at that point so I can see the temptation to get creative but I just feel like we're picking too high to pass up on Vaughn if he's there. If all the draft previews say "These are the top 5 guys" and you have a guaranteed shot at one of them why wouldn't you take one?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Do not take a HS project please. I don’t care how high his ceiling is. Get a “sure” thing this time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know this is a thread about the draft this year, but the Marlins are now 4 games ahead of the Orioles and on pace for the 4th overall pick in the draft next year. The Mets are as many games out of the Wild Card race as the Marlins are out of the #TankForTork race.

18 hours ago, LHPMarlin said:

I went to Vandy so that’s one reason I want it to be Bleday.  Another is we need help sooner rather than later.  Having said that, this regime has talked constantly about defense and athleticism.  They seem to devalue power hitters because of the size of the park.  And they’ve seemingly concentrated on “five tool” guys in so many of their recent acquisitions.  So, if there is a raw, athletic, five tool high school player available who struggles to hit breaking balls, that’s probably who they’ll take.

I agree it'd be a very Marlins thing to do, but we don't need any more of these guys.  I'm tired of seeing those guys coming back in seemingly every deal.

11 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Do not take a HS project please. I don’t care how high his ceiling is. Get a “sure” thing this time. 

This.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

I'm starting to think there's no way Vaughn is there at 4. The White Sox might screw us over.

after reading the MLBTrade rumors even the Orioles seem to be on him