Fish tanks removed from Marlins Park

Admin

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Are they gone? Or are they covered up? I recall them being covered during Fan Fest or something during a previous non-COVID offseason.

Either way, I don't really care too much. Only the rich folks really got to enjoy them, and when I finally got close, the coral and stuff looked sun-bleached and sad.

This move seems completely unnecessary but I'll say this, did anyone even remember there being fish tanks there past 2012 when everyone made sure to mention they were there? Do you know who got to enjoy or even see those fish tanks? The few dozen people who sat directly in front of them. No other person in the ballpark could even see those things. It was the kind of the thing you only noticed at Fan Fest when you could walk down to the front row and check them out. Ideally there would have been more fish tanks all around the ballpark so that they were more visible to everyone.

So maybe that went towards the idea of just getting rid of them.

The whole thing sounded fun when first announced but the execution was a bit underwhelming. I remember meeting a coworker at the ballpark in the first season there and she said to me "hey where are those fish tanks they were talking about?" I pointed to them "all the way down there" and she's like "What? That's it? I can't even see them!"

Yeah, I'm pretty unconvinced the tanks are gone. They might be, but I don't think this guy would know. First of all, he took a photo of the scrolling ads part of the backstop and thought he was looking at where the tanks were:

image.png.c92f064c1fa8fd69a53b40c503ddbd2a.png

Secondly, you can see the padding on the tank area comes out further than in the ad area, suggesting it's the padding that covers the glass.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This move seems completely unnecessary but I'll say this, did anyone even remember there being fish tanks there past 2012 when everyone made sure to mention they were there? Do you know who got to enjoy or even see those fish tanks? The few dozen people who sat directly in front of them. No other person in the ballpark could even see those things. It was the kind of the thing you only noticed at Fan Fest when you could walk down to the front row and check them out. Ideally there would have been more fish tanks all around the ballpark so that they were more visible to everyone.

So maybe that went towards the idea of just getting rid of them.

The whole thing sounded fun when first announced but the execution was a bit underwhelming. I remember meeting a coworker at the ballpark in the first season there and she said to me "hey where are those fish tanks they were talking about?" I pointed to them "all the way down there" and she's like "What? That's it? I can't even see them!"

I agree with this - the fish tank backstop is a neat idea, but as you correctly point out, nobody but the high rollers in that section can see them.  They should put one in the main concourse at the entrance (near where the bobblehead museum was originally) if they want to have one.

I'm sure it is/was expensive to maintain too.

20 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

It might not be something that we think about, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the cost of maintaining the fish tanks, plus someone or multiple people to take care of the fish, could run in the mid to high six figures per year. 

Marlins got to save all the money they can. 😂

Bingo!

Saves money baby!

Oh geez... media got a hold of this, which is still an unconfirmed report from a shady picture... and yet it's "OMG Marlins got rid of the fish tanks Jeter is ruining this team!!!!" Only with the Marlins does a team break a 17 year playoff drought and the media instead runs with "I can't believe they got rid of the fish tanks!"

• Like 1