Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

If the Marlins finish at or close to .500, does it hurt or help the rebuild?

This question came up in another thread and I thought it was an excellent topic. No need to say "Don't bother it will never happen anyways"... if it did somehow happen, does the Marlins finishing at or close to .500 actually help or hurt the rebuild at this point? 

• Like 1

Helps.  Their specific needs would be more obvious and they’d be closer to contention in that scenario. They could bump the off-season spending up to this coming off-season instead of the next off-season. 

• Like 5

I say helps for the same reason @SonOfJack says, plus it builds the winning mentality the team needs going forward (believe I said that in the other thread, too).

Kinda fun that this current run of games is making us even consider this possibility. lol

• Like 4

I am not saying this will keep up because I still doubt it, but I am getting deja vu of 2006 currently.

I echo @SonOfJack   If this team pulls together and finishes with that record it will be due to great contributions from players that we want to be a part of the future.  That is the rebuild taking place before our eyes.  We aren’t going to get top five picks for three years and then flip a switch and go worst to first.  Yea it happens but I wouldn’t count on that happening.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I am not saying this will keep up because I still doubt it, but I am getting deja vu of 2006 currently.

Mattingly manager of the year and then gets fired anyways? Tbh this isn't out of the question. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Mattingly manager of the year and then gets fired anyways? Tbh this isn't out of the question. 

I've been saying the team reminds me of the 2006 team for a little bit now. Started specifically when the team got the first win against the Mets to start the six game streak and we were 11-31 at that time (after the first game). 11-31 was the worst record the 2006 team got to, and this current team actually was 10-31. Through 58 games, 22-36 right now, one game better than the 2006 team. 😄

If this team gets to .500 and doesnt trade off the veteran pieces it accomplishes nothing but gives you lower draft positions and lower draft pools for next year.

If you trade off veterans and still reach .500 then its a good thing.

• Like 1

I think another top 5 pick would be preferable tbh

12 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

If this team gets to .500 and doesnt trade off the veteran pieces it accomplishes nothing but gives you lower draft positions and lower draft pools for next year.

If you trade off veterans and still reach .500 then its a good thing.

Which veterans do you have in mind?  Castro, Granderson, Prado, Romo?   I could see pinching a prospect in exchange for Romo.  Not sure any of the others would fetch anything significant. 

• Like 1