Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

If the Marlins finish at or close to .500, does it hurt or help the rebuild?

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Doing well. I would expect him to return to Miami soon, though they may be hesitant to change the current lineup.

So kinda like last time he was in AAA in 2017.  

Guarantee they dont bring his ass back when they are doing well.

Barring an injury.

9 hours ago, Das Texan said:

So kinda like last time he was in AAA in 2017.  

Guarantee they dont bring his ass back when they are doing well.

Barring an injury.

MATTINGLY ACCEPTS YOUR CHALLENGE...and immediately brings Brinson in to pitch with a 3-2 lead in the 8th

OBrien has no business ever being on an MLB team again.

I agree it’s a positive since it lets you identify what needs to be fixed. You certainly do have to trade away veterans with upside. However someone said earlier to trade Guerrero and Anderson. I don’t see why you trade controllable arms. Urena and Conley sure, but part of a rebuild also includes rebuilding your bullpen. Guerrero at least shouldn’t be traded. Anderson maybe since he’s older. 

5 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

I agree it’s a positive since it lets you identify what needs to be fixed. You certainly do have to trade away veterans with upside. However someone said earlier to trade Guerrero and Anderson. I don’t see why you trade controllable arms. Urena and Conley sure, but part of a rebuild also includes rebuilding your bullpen. Guerrero at least shouldn’t be traded. Anderson maybe since he’s older. 

Guerrero is 28. Not super young. The fact that he’s controllable should also increase the return value. He’s the best relief asset we have at the moment. I’m 100% on board with dealing him (relative to market value of course) 

On 6/5/2019 at 7:08 AM, SilverBullet said:

This question came up in another thread and I thought it was an excellent topic. No need to say "Don't bother it will never happen anyways"... if it did somehow happen, does the Marlins finishing at or close to .500 actually help or hurt the rebuild at this point? 

Baseball is so much different than the NFL and the NBA where  the best talent drafted goes to the teams with the losing record … I understand Houston stockpiled talent by being a bottom dweller for so many years but in reality it is about  franchises being able to scout talent and develop them properly...That is why the Dodgers and Yankees always have abundance of talent year in and year out

You can find premier talent in the 20th round if you are able to develop it properly. The Marlins under Mike Hill , under Loria's ownership were absolutely the worse. Miami being  Miami should have been a primal attraction to the Latin American talent and overseas talent but for some reason  that pretty much totally ignored  that market because of refusing to spend an extra buck here and there. I was happy they pursued Victor Victor although I am not convinced that he will ever be a star player in the Majors. I know Mike Hill is still around but it is more than obvious he is not making the decisions reference the draft anymore

It doesn't matter if the Marlins are a sub  .500 team or a .500...They are starting to develop their scouting. We surely will in 2 or 3 years know if the organization apparent turnaround is legit

1 minute ago, Edwin Velez said:

I was happy they pursued Victor Victor although I am not convinced that he will ever be a star player in the Major

Based on what, his rough season in A-ball this year? Did you think he'd be a star player before that? If so, it is way too early to think differently. If you never thought he'd be one, why?

2 minutes ago, Edwin Velez said:

Baseball is so much different than the NFL and the NBA where  the best talent drafted goes to the teams with the losing record … I understand Houston stockpiled talent by being a bottom dweller for so many years but in reality it is about  franchises being able to scout talent and develop them properly...That is why the Dodgers and Yankees always have abundance of talent year in and year out

You can find premier talent in the 20th round if you are able to develop it properly. The Marlins under Mike Hill , under Loria's ownership were absolutely the worse. Miami being  Miami should have been a primal attraction to the Latin American talent and overseas talent but for some reason  that pretty much totally ignored  that market because of refusing to spend an extra buck here and there. I was happy they pursued Victor Victor although I am not convinced that he will ever be a star player in the Majors. I know Mike Hill is still around but it is more than obvious he is not making the decisions reference the draft anymore

It doesn't matter if the Marlins are a sub  .500 team or a .500...They are starting to develop their scouting. We surely will in 2 or 3 years know if the organization apparent turnaround is legit

You know as bad as the loria regime was. They did draft Stanton yelich fernandez luis Castillo paddack Moran. And I’m sure I’m missing a few. The problem was everytime we were near 500 we’d trade away the top prospects for some fringe player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

The problem was everytime we were near 500 we’d trade away the top prospects for some fringe player. 

Yep, so we just need to hope this regime is smarter when it comes to that

27 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Based on what, his rough season in A-ball this year? Did you think he'd be a star player before that? If so, it is way too early to think differently. If you never thought he'd be one, why?

I actually have not been paying attention to Victor Victor this season yet I am sure  he will come around...I just looking at what he brings to the table tool-wise does not scream to me Super Star. There is no way to know but he will surely be a Major League Ball Player just not a top tier major leaguer. I think the Marlins feel the same way because they drafted Outfield talent heavily this year. I get the impression they know their Outfield talent is deficient or at least not up to their satisfaction

21 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

You know as bad as the loria regime was. They did draft Stanton yelich fernandez luis Castillo paddack Moran. And I’m sure I’m missing a few. The problem was everytime we were near 500 we’d trade away the top prospects for some fringe player. 

Just for clarification purpose Beinfest drafted Giancarlo and  Yelich even though  was drafted by Hill most of the legwork was most likely done under Beinfest. To which after that you can see a difference  drafting style to which the Marlins seemed to be drafting the same players  just with different names