Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

If the Marlins finish at or close to .500, does it hurt or help the rebuild?

Let's all take a deep breath. Pitchers will stop throwing Anderson breaking pitches. Harold Ramirez's high babip will crash back to earth. Starlin Castro is not a 115 wRC+ player. 

Urena has done what he always seems to do, find ways to win games. I don't trust it, and I hope they move him.

Jorge Alfaro still does not hit the ball in the air enough considering how little contact he makes.

Now that that's out of the way. I agree it would be positive if we had a winning record of around .500. Personally it would be more positive if we manage to move guys like Castro, Granderson, Rojas, Urena, and Walker, for real prospects. Record is less important to me. Potential impact players both in the minors and on the big league roster is what matters. 

If we do move all of those guys AND have a winning percentage around .500 then yeah, wow. That would be amazing. We could potentially have a young and exciting team with a lot of potential going forward.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Edwin Velez said:

I actually have not been paying attention to Victor Victor this season yet I am sure  he will come around...I just looking at what he brings to the table tool-wise does not scream to me Super Star. There is no way to know but he will surely be a Major League Ball Player just not a top tier major leaguer. I think the Marlins feel the same way because they drafted Outfield talent heavily this year. I get the impression they know their Outfield talent is deficient or at least not up to their satisfaction

OR they are just taking best player available and trying to infuse as much talent as possible within the organization. The draft is all about identifying and selecting guys that have a shot to make it to the big leagues. If you’re drafting for position need, you’re doing it wrong. 

Regarding VVM - No one said he’s going to be a super star. If that’s your expectation, that needs to be adjusted. I understand the hype around him as the “top international prospect”, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be a superstar. They invested 6 million total for both Victor Victor & Victor Jr. That’s a multiyear # mind you. 

VVM doesn’t have to be a superstar for that to be a valuable addition. If he turns out to be an average big leaguer, that’s surplus value. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

We could potentially have a young and exciting team with a lot of potential going forward.

This is all we really need to take from this hot streak. That we do have pieces in place to have a future. Just gotta know how and when to push them to the next level.

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This is all we really need to take from this hot streak. That we do have pieces in place to have a future

So pessimistic always. WS 2019 here we go.

1 hour ago, marlins_09 said:

OR they are just taking best player available and trying to infuse as much talent as possible within the organization. The draft is all about identifying and selecting guys that have a shot to make it to the big leagues. If you’re drafting for position need, you’re doing it wrong. 

Regarding VVM - No one said he’s going to be a super star. If that’s your expectation, that needs to be adjusted. I understand the hype around him as the “top international prospect”, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be a superstar. They invested 6 million total for both Victor Victor & Victor Jr. That’s a multiyear # mind you. 

VVM doesn’t have to be a superstar for that to be a valuable addition. If he turns out to be an average big leaguer, that’s surplus value. 

Agreed!

3 hours ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

You know as bad as the loria regime was. They did draft Stanton yelich fernandez luis Castillo paddack Moran. And I’m sure I’m missing a few. The problem was everytime we were near 500 we’d trade away the top prospects for some fringe player. 

Luis Castillo was actually acquired in Casey McGehee trade with the Giants in 2014, but I agree with your point nonetheless.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Edwin Velez said:

Just for clarification purpose Beinfest drafted Giancarlo and  Yelich even though  was drafted by Hill most of the legwork was most likely done under Beinfest. To which after that you can see a difference  drafting style to which the Marlins seemed to be drafting the same players  just with different names

I was always surprised Beinfest never got another GM job.