3/26 vs Astros - 6:05 p.m.

6 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Trevor Rogers makes his final spring start

Does this mean that he is retiring after the season or do they plan on using him out of the bullpen in all future Spring Trainings?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

Does this mean that he is retiring after the season or do they plan on using him out of the bullpen in all future Spring Trainings?

Ask Don

1 minute ago, SirFishFan said:

Summer doesn't start until June 21st, so any games he starts in April and May will be spring starts.

this is like a @SilverBullet idiotic comment but smarter 

• Like 1

So as a fan of them fancified analytics, I know I shouldn't care about the batting order (studies have should that batting your cleanup hitter 9th and pitcher 3rd costs you only a few runs per year), but I've always been bothered by Dickerson batting leadoff (given his overly aggressive approach and lack of speed).

But then I had an epiphany, a literal thought in the shower. Dickerson is also the batter most likely to start the game with a 12-pitch marathon at bat, giving Marte and the rest of the hitters a chance to see all the pitcher's pitches -- to say nothing of how those kinds of at bats can frustrate or tire that pitcher 1 batter in, potentially putting the pitcher off his game.

I think this rationale makes sense in the realm of batting Miggy leadoff too. Both guys have solid OBP and a chance to stretch out the at bat with tons of foul balls.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

So as a fan of them fancified analytics, I know I shouldn't care about the batting order (studies have should that batting your cleanup hitter 9th and pitcher 3rd costs you only a few runs per year), but I've always been bothered by Dickerson batting leadoff (given his overly aggressive approach and lack of speed).

But then I had an epiphany, a literal thought in the shower. Dickerson is also the batter most likely to start the game with a 12-pitch marathon at bat, giving Marte and the rest of the hitters a chance to see all the pitcher's pitches -- to say nothing of how those kinds of at bats can frustrate or tire that pitcher 1 batter in, potentially putting the pitcher off his game.

I think this rationale makes sense in the realm of batting Miggy leadoff too. Both guys have solid OBP and a chance to stretch out the at bat with tons of foul balls.

Nice points.  While I would never agree to a pitcher in the 3rd spot, one downfall for that would be that a pitcher is more vulnerable the second and third time around so having your cleanup hitter batting 9th would be less beneficial as he may get 2 at bats while the pitcher gets 3.