Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Andre Fernandez: Marlins 2019 Draft Class Receiving High Praise

Article requires subscription to The Athletic to read, but it's worth it. $5 a month for top tier articles! (If you subscribe for the year)

https://theathletic.com/1012071/2019/06/06/the-marlins-2019-draft-class-is-getting-high-praise-from-scouts-and-analysts-heres-why/

Jim Bowden tweeted on Wednesday that the Marlins had the best draft class among all teams. Baseball America draft analayst Carlos Collazo said " ... on pure talent, you could argue they did better than any other team."

A good note: "Looking at the big picks, there isn't anyone I see in the first two days that they should have trouble signing." - Nick Faleris, Director of Amateur Evaluation at 2080 Baseball.

John Sickels: "Very solid draft ... balance between high-ceiling and high-floor players, offense and defense ... should improve both depth and breadth of farm system while helping medium- and long-term outlooks for the organization."

I won't say much about Bleday since I'm sure we've all heard enough of him, but the article does have a few paragraphs on him.

Some other notes:

- Scouts think the team's second pick Kameron Misner is too passive at the plate, which causes some of his struggles, but if he starts attacking pitches early in the count, could translate to success. Great eye at the plate.

- Nasim Nunez, third pick, has lightning fast speed, switch hitter but hits better from the right side although one scout said has a better looking swing on the left side, and was considered the best defensive shortstop in the draft by Baseball America. Questions on his offensive game at the pro level, but should be able to rise through the ranks due to glove and speed.

- Outfielder Peyton Burdick (3rd rounder) batted .407, slugged .729 with 15 homers, stole 24 bases and drew 60 walks while striking out only 35 times. Impressed Marlin scouts with raw power.

- First baseman Evan Edwards, fourth rounder, 1.059 OPS this year with 14 homers.

- Evan Fitterer and MD Johnson (5th and 6th round picks respectively) profile similarly, could be mid-rotation arms quickly. Both top mid-90s with their fastball and have decent secondary stuff.

- Few pitchers that project to be solid relievers (Bryan Hoeing for example).

- 10th round pick JD Orr (outfielder) stole 60 bases this year, drew more walks than strikeouts in his collegiate career.

- Infielder Nic Ready, 23rd round, won the college home run derby last year and set a bunch of school records at Air Force.

- Right hand pitcher John Baker (29th round) ... I'm mostly just mentioning him because of former Marlin John Baker. However, Sickels says "Baker racks up strikeouts despite so-so velocity." Worth a note.

- A lot of college seniors, quite a few players who could out-perform their signing bonus quickly.

All in all a solid read and great stuff going forward.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Michael said:

Article requires subscription to The Athletic to read, but it's worth it. $5 a month for top tier articles! (If you subscribe for the year)

https://theathletic.com/1012071/2019/06/06/the-marlins-2019-draft-class-is-getting-high-praise-from-scouts-and-analysts-heres-why/

Jim Bowden tweeted on Wednesday that the Marlins had the best draft class among all teams. Baseball America draft analayst Carlos Collazo said " ... on pure talent, you could argue they did better than any other team."

A good note: "Looking at the big picks, there isn't anyone I see in the first two days that they should have trouble signing." - Nick Faleris, Director of Amateur Evaluation at 2080 Baseball.

John Sickels: "Very solid draft ... balance between high-ceiling and high-floor players, offense and defense ... should improve both depth and breadth of farm system while helping medium- and long-term outlooks for the organization."

I won't say much about Bleday since I'm sure we've all heard enough of him, but the article does have a few paragraphs on him.

Some other notes:

- Scouts think the team's second pick Kameron Misner is too passive at the plate, which causes some of his struggles, but if he starts attacking pitches early in the count, could translate to success. Great eye at the plate.

- Nasim Nunez, third pick, has lightning fast speed, switch hitter but hits better from the right side although one scout said has a better looking swing on the left side, and was considered the best defensive shortstop in the draft by Baseball America. Questions on his offensive game at the pro level, but should be able to rise through the ranks due to glove and speed.

- Outfielder Peyton Burdick (3rd rounder) batted .407, slugged .729 with 15 homers, stole 24 bases and drew 60 walks while striking out only 35 times. Impressed Marlin scouts with raw power.

- First baseman Evan Edwards, fourth rounder, 1.059 OPS this year with 14 homers.

- Evan Fitterer and MD Johnson (5th and 6th round picks respectively) profile similarly, could be mid-rotation arms quickly. Both top mid-90s with their fastball and have decent secondary stuff.

- Few pitchers that project to be solid relievers (Bryan Hoeing for example).

- 10th round pick JD Orr (outfielder) stole 60 bases this year, drew more walks than strikeouts in his collegiate career.

- Infielder Nic Ready, 23rd round, won the college home run derby last year and set a bunch of school records at Air Force.

- Right hand pitcher John Baker (29th round) ... I'm mostly just mentioning him because of former Marlin John Baker. However, Sickels says "Baker racks up strikeouts despite so-so velocity." Worth a note.

- A lot of college seniors, quite a few players who could out-perform their signing bonus quickly.

All in all a solid read and great stuff going forward.

What I did truly appreciate about the draft is that they did take a nice blend of guys with high floors as the article suggested which means, in theory, they should be able to also contribute a lot faster as those guys are generally more a finished product.  They know this team needs an infusion of talent on the offensive side of the ball especially and this helped really replenish the farm in terms of offensive talent (despite the 900 outfielders we now have). Obviously everything is still kinda a crapshoot, not entirely, but all prospects are still unknowns until they get to the higher levels. But we shouldn't have to wait as long to see what potential a lot of these guys have.  Really hoping Nunez shocks some people and becomes at least average with the bat because his defense and speed combo are incredibly enticing. 

the signability side of the draft is important too - no, not going with a cheapjeter joke for once but it means they get to stick to their plan for the rebuild since their guys will likely sign.  the drafting and scouting done by this new group has been hands down the best part of the regime - from international to amateur.  still too early to really see returns but it sure does feel different than the loria regime.  almost like a real ball club!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

it means they get to stick to their plan for the rebuild since their guys will likely sign.  the drafting and scouting done by this new group has been hands down the best part of the regime - from international to amateur.  still too early to really see returns but it sure does feel different than the loria regime.  almost like a real ball club!

WELCOME ABOARD MY FRIEND!!! The next Jeter-Lovers meeting will be held next Thursday at 3:05 pm @SonOfJack's house. See you there!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

WELCOME ABOARD MY FRIEND!!! The next Jeter-Lovers meeting will be held next Thursday at 3:05 pm @SonOfJack's house. See you there!

I’ll give out the invites. Thanks. You’re getting a little too comfortable ever since I let you sit in the recliner 

• Laugh 2

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

but he has that restraining order against me.  this feels like entrapment.

• Laugh 1

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Will there be gift baskets? 

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

Will there be gift baskets? 

It’s not that kind of party.