Sign in to follow this  
taiwanmarlin

2019 draft picks signing information

7 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Someone should keep track of the amount the team has spend compared to how much they have to spend.

already have my spreadsheet working.....

2 minutes ago, MrAndMrsFish said:

already have my spreadsheet working.....

Excel or google sheets?

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

Excel or google sheets?

excel right now.....will upload in the next few days to google docs and share....pretty crazy numbers.

9 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

If I understand it right... They drafted college seniors and juniors who aren't gonna demand more money and so they sign those guys below value and that allows them to allocate the saved money to sign the first rounders to higher bonuses to ensure they sign.

It's either smart use of the money or it's just #CheapJeter... you decide which you want it to be.

can it be both? with a little more cheapness towards to 

14 hours ago, MrAndMrsFish said:

ok so figured out after the 10th round....the only money that counts twords the bonus pool is anything over 125K..so maldonado here signed for the max with it not affecting the bonus pool. Pretty good money for an 11th round pick considering the 9th and 10th round picks singed for a combine 3.5K

20 minutes ago, MrAndMrsFish said:

ok so figured out after the 10th round....the only money that counts twords the bonus pool is anything over 125K..so maldonado here signed for the max with it not affecting the bonus pool. Pretty good money for an 11th round pick considering the 9th and 10th round picks singed for a combine 3.5K

Thats generally how its been done in the MLB draft since going to the slot system.  You draft college seniors that basically have zero leverage late in the first 10 rounds, so you can use some of that money for other players to go over slot on.

Why the gap between the "really signing bonus" and the "slot value" would be so ridiculous "big" ? I mean, if a player was really worth the "slot value" then why would he accepts the huge discount in the signing bonus ? I believe the signing bonus was very important to the players in the financial aspects because the salary of the minor league was very low and only a few players would really earn the money of the major league. 

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Why the gap between the "really signing bonus" and the "slot value" would be so ridiculous "big" ? I mean, if a player was really worth the "slot value" then why would he accepts the huge discount in the signing bonus ? I believe the signing bonus was very important to the players in the financial aspects because the salary of the minor league was very low and only a few players would really earn the money of the major league. 

Because most are college seniors who will never be drafted again so they aren't able to ask for more. They either take it or leave it and never get signed at all. And even then the lower amount is a huge improvement of what they were getting before so they take it. Yes there's a huge gap between 100,000 and 300,000 but if you weren't making much before then even the 100,000 is an excellent amount at this point so they take it. 

• Like 2