All-star Game Moving

cyoung

2 hours ago, Entendu said:

The Democrats assassinate you by promising idiots and parasites free shit in exchange for your head. 🙃

The Republicans attempt to assassinate you, but are so ineffective in meeting their goals that you walk out with a black eye and a sudden desire for free shit.

It’s funny, as someone with progressive views, I find the democrats more ineffective than republicans. Maybe it’s frustration due to not seeing my supposed allies pass what I think would be beneficial laws.

1. There’s no proof of widespread voter fraud in Georgia or anywhere else in the US

2. Voting is an important civic duty

If we agree on #1 and #2, then why wouldn’t we want to make it as easy as possible? Georgia’s new law most definitely makes voting less easy.

Remember that poor communities have fewer resources, and this sometimes translates to their voting precincts, as well.

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

It’s funny, as someone with progressive views, I find the democrats more ineffective than republicans. Maybe it’s frustration due to not seeing my supposed allies pass what I think would be beneficial laws.

they are both ineffective as shit because neither party really gives a fuck about the people.

its all lip service. 

FACT.

• Like 5

1. There’s no proof of widespread voter fraud in Georgia or anywhere else in the US

2. Voting is an important civic duty

If we agree on #1 and #2, then why wouldn’t we want to make it as easy as possible? Georgia’s new law most definitely makes voting less easy.

Remember that poor communities have fewer resources, and this sometimes translates to their voting precincts, as well.

Bingo.

Voting should be as EASY as possible.

Restricting voting under the guise of voter fraud is a sham and an attempt to have fewer people vote, which is the only card you have to play when increased number of people are voting for the other side.

Its gross.

Its sick.

Its Jim Crow 2021.  

What the fuck are you afraid of?  Get better ideas.  People would probably vote more for the Conservatives if they werent such fucking hypocritical pieces of shit.  

Its like I said, you know what kind of lunacy the Dems are going to promote.  

The Republicans try to hide behind morality and religion and fiscal responsibility to trick you.

For every loony AOC in the Dems there are 2-3 Matt Gaetz's in the GOP.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

they are both ineffective as shit because neither party really gives a fuck about the people.

its all lip service. 

FACT.

Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s just funny the difference in perspectives between @Entendu and myself considering I recall he leans libertarian/conservative, and I’m very much progressive.

47 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s just funny the difference in perspectives between @Entendu and myself considering I recall he leans libertarian/conservative, and I’m very much progressive.

I lean conservative/libertarian, and I 100% agree with that statement.

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Bingo.

Voting should be as EASY as possible.

I disagree with this.

Not everyone should vote. Everyone should have the right to (and they do) but it shouldn't be so easy that people who don't have well-formed views (of any political affiliation) can be either pushed to (through canvassing) or coaxed into doing so (through crap like vote or die or any social media campaign) from either side.

We've turned into a society that values getting as much participation as possible, instead of informed, deliberate participation. This is the primary reason why both parties aim to deliver messages in a way that third graders will agree with.

Making people wait in a line makes it so that only those who think it's worthwhile to wait in a line to cast their vote (without any extra incentives like food or an instagram story) decide how the country is run. It will lead to better elected leaders and a better country. If you want to talk about making election day a holiday, or allowing early voting, I'm on board.

If it were up to me, we'd make everyone sit in a room for 5 hours as a short of reflection period before casting their vote. Their children will be cared for that day, and their earnings provided for them if they must miss work. Voting should be a solemn act, not a party.

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Entendu said:

We've turned into a society that values getting as much participation as possible, instead of informed, deliberate participation.

Man I agree with this so much. I skipped 2 elections on purpose because I didn't follow them enough and I felt like I wasn't giving a fair vote either way. I wish more people would do this. But since every vote counts the same politicians don't care if it's an informed vote or not, they'll take every one that they can get and however they can get it. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I disagree with this.

Not everyone should vote. Everyone should have the right to (and they do) but it shouldn't be so easy that people who don't have well-formed views (of any political affiliation) can be either pushed to (through canvassing) or coaxed into doing so (through crap like vote or die or any social media campaign) from either side.

We've turned into a society that values getting as much participation as possible, instead of informed, deliberate participation. This is the primary reason why both parties aim to deliver messages in a way that third graders will agree with.

Making people wait in a line makes it so that only those who think it's worthwhile to wait in a line to cast their vote (without any extra incentives like food or an instagram story) decide how the country is run. It will lead to better elected leaders and a better country. If you want to talk about making election day a holiday, or allowing early voting, I'm on board.

If it were up to me, we'd make everyone sit in a room for 5 hours as a short of reflection period before casting their vote. Their children will be cared for that day, and their earnings provided for them if they must miss work. Voting should be a solemn act, not a party.

I wish we were more informed as an electorate because I think that in itself is a moral good.

I’m not certain that a more informed electorate leads to better policy outcomes, though. It could be irrelevant, ie because in many situations we are not actually certain whether a particular policy would be positive or not.

I wish we were more informed as an electorate because I think that in itself is a moral good.

I’m not certain that a more informed electorate leads to better policy outcomes, though. It could be irrelevant, ie because in many situations we are not actually certain whether a particular policy would be positive or not.

Maybe not better policy from your or my viewpoints, but it would be policy more reflective of the constituents, which is what it should be.

It should not be reflective of the loudest voice. 

44 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Maybe not better policy from your or my viewpoints, but it would be policy more reflective of the constituents, which is what it should be.

It should not be reflective of the loudest voice. 

Are you saying if we were better informed as an electorate, than the policies passed likely would be more reflective of the electorate’s preferences?

On 4/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, cyoung said:

Moving it to Miami isn't even a win, imo.

This just proves that media perception and crooked leadership still hold way too much influence, regarding how much they mislead everybody.

Unfortunately Manfred is going to get so wound up in divisive issues, it's going to be unwatchable, just like other sports are.

You are 100% correct.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Man I agree with this so much. I skipped 2 elections on purpose because I didn't follow them enough and I felt like I wasn't giving a fair vote either way. I wish more people would do this. But since every vote counts the same politicians don't care if it's an informed vote or not, they'll take every one that they can get and however they can get it. 

That’s why they want to change voter laws enabling voters who are 16 to vote.  

3 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

That’s why they want to change voter laws enabling voters who are 16 to vote.  

Ouch that sounds awful. I think they should raise the age. There are way too many uninformed "children" in their early 20s who have the power to vote. And their vote largely comes from influences so one bad vote from them could easily lead to 100 bad votes.

I also see this situation with the uninformed elderly too actually. Plenty of people take their elderly parents or grandparents to vote and the person votes just by what their child or grandkid tells them to vote for so once again a bad vote is multiplied.

I have an aunt who never votes but this year she voted because her son took her and she voted for everything her son told her to vote for. So basically my cousin was able to double his vote by dragging his elderly mother who was otherwise uniformed. You can't really stop this type of vote but it is pretty not cool if you think about it. These 2 went and voted for the person I did not vote for so basically they canceled out my vote and added one more to their side just by doing that and I remember feeling kinda uncomfortable about that. 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Ouch that sounds awful. I think they should raise the age. There are way too many uninformed "children" in their early 20s who have the power to vote. And their vote largely comes from influences so one bad vote from them could easily lead to 100 bad votes.

I also see this situation with the uninformed elderly too actually. Plenty of people take their elderly parents or grandparents to vote and the person votes just by what their child or grandkid tells them to vote for so once again a bad vote is multiplied.

I have an aunt who never votes but this year she voted because her son took her and she voted for everything her son told her to vote for. So basically my cousin was able to double his vote by dragging his elderly mother who was otherwise uniformed. You can't really stop this type of vote but it is pretty not cool if you think about it. These 2 went and voted for the person I did not vote for so basically they canceled out my vote and added one more to their side just by doing that and I remember feeling kinda uncomfortable about that. 

I remember before, voters who voted, took it very seriously and kept private to who they voted for even within the same party.  But now, with all the injustice and equality dogma (yeah right) it’s you’re duty to vote. This becomes a recruitment strategy and the elderly and the youth are the target becoming victims through self preservation to appease family and peers. 

• Like 3

By the way, for a laugh, I gotta let you guys know that I first heard this story when at my uncle's house and it came on the screen on CNN news and all I heard the reporter say was something like "MLB moves ASG due to the new voting laws in Georgia and concerns about not allowing everyone to vote equally, etc." But I literally first thought they were talking about voting for the ASG! I stared at the screen dumbfounded at this thought and wondering why Georgia lawmakers were passing laws for ASG voting. Had no clue this was about actual political elections. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Are you saying if we were better informed as an electorate, than the policies passed likely would be more reflective of the electorate’s preferences?

That is correct.

Not only would the policies better reflect the electorate, but the representatives would be held accountable for their votes.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Would you want to change the age of majority overall, ie for going to the military, using cigarettes, etc.? 

I think that’s fair. Not sure about the accountability part, as that’s complex.

I add the accountability because voters would be actually invested in their vote rather than a surface-level solicited vote.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

That is correct.

Not only would the policies better reflect the electorate, but the representatives would be held accountable for their votes.

The new policies in our country is identity politics.  They use it in sports, news, movies and social networks (FB Twitter, YTube).  Campaigning on policies are secondary.  Now it’s about catering to demographics and culture. 

• Like 2