Sign in to follow this  
jsprt14

Marlins Park atmosphere is worse than ever

I’ve noticed a change in the ticket prices in the online secondary market this year.  In the past it was very easy to get big discounts on tickets through seat Greek and stub hub the week before a game.  this year it is very different. Inventory is very low on those online markets and whatever tickets are there really aren’t discounted much at all.  

Anyone have any theories as to why that would be?  I was thinking perhaps older sponsorship deals from the Loris/Samson era included big ticket packages for those sponsors which were then handed out to employees or clients by that sponsor.  This in turn gives people a free ticket to sling online thus saturating the market further.  Of course these tickets were all included in the attendance count using the old method.  Perhaps these deals expired and the new corporate sponsorship deals negotiated by chip bowers and Jeter did not include ticket packages that were as generous 

if you want to be super conspiracy about it, the marlins buy up all discounted tickets to force people into buying direct from the team.  But I don’t believe that to be so. 

I went to some games on st Pete in the past and the rays online secondary ticket market wasn’t very fruitful.  So I’m thinking they didn’t saturate the market with ticket giveaways either.  Makes me think my theoRy has somethjng to it. 

6 hours ago, Marlino said:

Went last night. The ac was set low again.  Uncomfortable. Also, sat in the first row in my section with a bunch of empty seats next to me. In the third inning two families came down and took the seats (no, they did not have those seats). Why did I pay extra? On the positive side, the game was good. The stadium is well kept. The fireworks were phenomenal. Much better than I expected. All in all, a good time but they should monitor seating, also its expensive , beer $14, parking $25.

They do have the "ophie" (I think) concession where you get the $5 rolling rock draft and $3 hot dog and the $5 pork tacos..  Beer is a good deal for me, I never want 16 oz of beer.  Funny about the AC.  Our seats for the past few years were in Sec 11 but towards the low number seats.  The A/c was blowing so hard, your hair would be flying and it was freezing.  I don't think they fixed it yet but we did have our seats moved all the way to the left and it is perfect, or much better.  My wife and daughter were cold in July in Dolphin stadium, so they don't count.

7 hours ago, Marlino said:

Went last night. The ac was set low again.  Uncomfortable. Also, sat in the first row in my section with a bunch of empty seats next to me. In the third inning two families came down and took the seats (no, they did not have those seats). Why did I pay extra? On the positive side, the game was good. The stadium is well kept. The fireworks were phenomenal. Much better than I expected. All in all, a good time but they should monitor seating, also its expensive , beer $14, parking $25.

It’s always hot as hell in the lower level. They really need to crank the AC. Imagine if the stadium was full

Just now, legacyofCangelosi said:

It’s always hot as hell in the lower level. They really need to crank the AC. Imagine if the stadium was full

There are a few rows that are freezing and then others that are like a sauna. 

I went to both the Friday and Saturday games (I have a 20 game season ticket package).  Attendance on Friday was bad, the game was never competitive, and there was absolutely no energy in the park.   On Saturday, the attendance was a bit better, the game was very competitive and fun to watch, and there was a lot more cheering and enthusiasm from the crowd. Much better atmosphere.  So, for all we want to talk about "experience", it really does depend most on the quality of the game.

I haven't experienced the A/C problems, unless you are talking about the wind tunnel effect in the top few rows of the promenade sections.  Beyond that, I haven't experienced any temperature issues.

Finally, concessions are overpriced but not terrible.  As someone said, there are two "value priced" concession stands.  And, anecdotally, the refillable, souvenir sized soda is $8 but is $12 or $13 at Dolphins games.

I don't really see what Jeter and Company can do to improve the experience other than put a better team on the field.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 8:51 AM, Marlino said:

You could easily buy the $10 SRO ticket and then go find a seat and sit in.  I did it after I got tired of standing.  That said, I don't go overboard like those people did and go sit in the very good seats, but I know I'm different than others in that regard.

Definitely agree about the fireworks, they were great!  Was not expecting that finale being that good.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, SonOfJack said:

This is where I think Jeter and company is failing big time. They are giving people more reasons to not come or come back. I understand those prices are pretty normal in MLB these days, but the Marlins should not be charging normal prices. He needs to make concessions and parking cheap. People may be more inclined to buy a ticket if they know they won't need to take out a mortgage for the add-ons. 

I agree.  I know they have the 3o5 menu now, which does give some low priced options, but everything else is $13-15 for just the food not including a drink.  I will say the food is better than previous years, meaning you're getting better stuff for that $13-15, but it adds up QUICKLY.  We got 5 sandwiches (the Pan con bistec at the Goya La Cocina, which actually was pretty tasty), and it was like $70-something!  For just the sandwiches.  They really need to take the Atlanta Falcons route and drop prices.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, THRILLHO said:

I’ve noticed a change in the ticket prices in the online secondary market this year.  In the past it was very easy to get big discounts on tickets through seat Greek and stub hub the week before a game.  this year it is very different. Inventory is very low on those online markets and whatever tickets are there really aren’t discounted much at all.  

Anyone have any theories as to why that would be?  I was thinking perhaps older sponsorship deals from the Loris/Samson era included big ticket packages for those sponsors which were then handed out to employees or clients by that sponsor.  This in turn gives people a free ticket to sling online thus saturating the market further.  Of course these tickets were all included in the attendance count using the old method.  Perhaps these deals expired and the new corporate sponsorship deals negotiated by chip bowers and Jeter did not include ticket packages that were as generous 

if you want to be super conspiracy about it, the marlins buy up all discounted tickets to force people into buying direct from the team.  But I don’t believe that to be so. 

I went to some games on st Pete in the past and the rays online secondary ticket market wasn’t very fruitful.  So I’m thinking they didn’t saturate the market with ticket giveaways either.  Makes me think my theoRy has somethjng to it. 

I actually noticed this as well the two times I've looked into it and gone to the game.  In previous years, it was 9 times out of 10 I was getting them on Stubhub - basically unless there was some sort of promotion or team discount, I was going through Stubhub, as you could get great seats for greatly reduced prices.  This year, when I've looked on Stubhub, the prices haven't been drastically different than the Marlins' pricing online, and I wound up getting the tickets to both games on the Marlins site instead (actually Saturday's game, I was going to use Stubhub, but as I was inputting my info to purchase them, they were taken, so I had to go through the team).

I think you're probably right - we know Loria & co. would "buy" tickets for $1 to pad attendance numbers, so these likely just got thrown on the secondary market for whatever they could make.

11 minutes ago, LHPMarlin said:

I went to both the Friday and Saturday games (I have a 20 game season ticket package).  Attendance on Friday was bad, the game was never competitive, and there was absolutely no energy in the park.   On Saturday, the attendance was a bit better, the game was very competitive and fun to watch, and there was a lot more cheering and enthusiasm from the crowd. Much better atmosphere.  So, for all we want to talk about "experience", it really does depend most on the quality of the game.

I haven't experienced the A/C problems, unless you are talking about the wind tunnel effect in the top few rows of the promenade sections.  Beyond that, I haven't experienced any temperature issues.

Finally, concessions are overpriced but not terrible.  As someone said, there are two "value priced" concession stands.  And, anecdotally, the refillable, souvenir sized soda is $8 but is $12 or $13 at Dolphins games.

I don't really see what Jeter and Company can do to improve the experience other than put a better team on the field.

Saturday's game was fun.  It seemed to fly by though.  We did get there late, but we went to get food and by the time we got back to the seat, it was already the 7th inning!  Granted, our group was like herding cats, but still.  Had to wait a while while they cooked our food as well, which took longer than it should've.

The A/C "experience" is VERY dependent on where you're sitting.  If you're anywhere in the lower bowl under or right in front of the second deck, you'll be freezing as you're sitting right under the air vents.  If you sit further down in the bowl (not under cover) or out in the corners, it's kind of hot, as you're far from the air vents, and there's a lot of air in the park to cool.

The fireworks are always phenomenal. I've seen cheap low key fireworks shows and these are not that. They really are amazing. The Marlins market it as Miami's best fireworks show and I don't know what else to compare it too but they might be right. 

1 hour ago, LHPMarlin said:

Attendance on Friday was bad, the game was never competitive, and there was absolutely no energy in the park.   On Saturday, the attendance was a bit better, the game was very competitive and fun to watch, and there was a lot more cheering and enthusiasm from the crowd. Much better atmosphere.  So, for all we want to talk about "experience", it really does depend most on the quality of the game.

Exactly my point. Experience has so much to do with the quality and competiveness of the game.

They can monitor people sitting where they paid if they wanted too but I don't think they care. But yes its frustrating if you paid for good seats and people come and take the empty ones for free. With that said, I do it, within reason, because they "let you" do it. I wouldn't be mad if they stopped me or anyone. 

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

They can monitor people sitting where they paid if they wanted too but I don't think they care. But yes its frustrating if you paid for good seats and people come and take the empty ones for free. With that said, I do it, within reason, because they "let you" do it. I wouldn't be mad if they stopped me or anyone. 

I have done it a few times too but I hate doing it cause I am paranoid the whole time waiting for the ticket holder to show up and cause an awkward situation. All the empty seats, I just assume the seats they'll have will be where I went.