Sign in to follow this  
DTrain

Marlins Park lease agreement

Trying to settle a debate with some friends.....

Does anyone have a link to the part of the Marlins Park lease agreement that says the team CAN’T be relocated before a certain date?  I believe it’s 30 years or close to that. 

I spent a while on Google but I didn’t find anything definitive. 

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help. 

I've heard this countless times but have never seen anything definitive either. I don't doubt it's true though. 

4. Non-Relocation Agreement - The Team shall enter into a Non-Relocation Agreement that will unconditionally require the Team to maintain its Major League Baseball franchise in the City of Miami for the term of the Management Agreement. The Non-Relocation Agreement shall require the Team to operate and maintain a Major League Baseball franchise with the Baseball Stadium as its home stadium and to play all of its regular season and post-season home games at the Baseball Stadium.

22. Management Agreement – The County, Stadium Manager, and, if necessary, the City, shall enter into a Management Agreement which shall set forth the terms for the exclusive right, authority, and responsibility for operation, management and use of the Baseball Stadium by the Stadium Manager. The term of the Management Agreement shall be 35 years with two five-year renewal periods.

http://www.miamidade.gov/govaction/matter.asp?matter=080474&file=true&fileAnalysis=false&yearFolder=Y2008

• Like 1

Thanks, fellas!

That last sentence, though, “two 5 year renewal period”.  What does that mean exactly?  

Just now, DTrain said:

That last sentence, though, “two 5 year renewal period”.  What does that mean exactly?  

I could be wrong, but I think that means both sides can agree to renew the deal for up to 10 years. Each renewal would be for 5 years. This coming after the initial 35 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DTrain said:

Thanks, fellas!

Probably means the exact terms can be renewed twice at five year intervals.  The rest of the lease likely says which party (probably both) are responsible for exercising the option.  Otherwise it has to be renegotiated 

• Like 1