Alfaro

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/injury-notes-kim-alfaro-andujar-schmidt-reds.html

"Manager Don Mattingly told SportsGrid’s Craig Mish and other reporters the Marlins may decide tomorrow whether or not an IL stint is required.  Counting today, Alfaro will have been sidelined for four straight games, and Miami doesn’t have another off-day until April 19.  Should Alfaro hit the injured list, Sandy Leon is the only catcher in the Marlins’ farm system with any big league experience, so the team could select his minor league deal and install Leon as Chad Wallach‘s backup."

It's a great news to this team because even Leon won't hitting worse than Alfaro, it's also so sad Alfaro still playing suck after given another chance. 

29 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I'd love to see the Marlin's draft Matt Nelson from FSU, and we can hopefully put this catcher nonsense behind us in a few years.

unless we get someone good at trade deadline for our veterans when we bring the kids up

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I'd love to see the Marlin's draft Matt Nelson from FSU, and we can hopefully put this catcher nonsense behind us in a few years.

Feel like we need to trade for a veteran catcher with a couple years left and also draft a catcher or two.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yeah but is anyone selling a productive catcher currently?

There's the problem!

I'm sure we could get one, but we'd have to sell the farm to do it.  It would have to be an offer they couldn't refuse, on something that's not necessarily for sale at the moment - it wouldn't be a good situation for us.

7 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Is it possible to trade for one now ? this team just can't wait till the deadline …

You’re going to have to be patient on this one. Best case is we rummage through the guys DFA’d (Lucroy) to try and find a stop gap

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Y'all are giving up on Alfaro after just 4 games? And 4 games in which Statcast ranked him the 10th best pitch framer in baseball?!

SMDH.

I'm pretty sure some are factoring in last season as well which saw him benched in favor for Wallach for the postseason.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion but if we weren't trying to contend I'd like Alfaro to get another full season of actual opportunities to prove himself. I mean everyone knows this season just started but are we forgetting that last season was shortened plus he was out with covid? People are referring to his 2020 season as if it was a normal year for him.

Edit: Actually let me clarify, I wish Alfaro could have the benefit of one more full season of chances but I know that's not possible so I'm not against finding a replacement for him now. Didn't want this to sound like I didn't want an upgrade at the position.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Michael said:

Mish and Jackson at the Herald mentioned we tried to get Yermin Mercedes in the offseason as a catching option.

Pretty sure his fielding is a 20 so that would have actually been really bad. Lol

I guess Marlins couldn’t afford Mercedes, so it looks like we’re keeping the old Chevy, Chad Wallach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Mish and Jackson at the Herald mentioned we tried to get Yermin Mercedes in the offseason as a catching option.

Pretty sure his fielding is a 20 so that would have actually been really bad. Lol

I don't even know who that is.

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't even know who that is.

He is the current MLB leader in batting average, hitting .500 at the moment.

He set a record earlier this year becoming the first player to start a season 8 for 8.

Last week he won the AL player of the week.

And he's still a rookie, only having played one MLB game before this season.

Of course, the Marlins had no way of knowing really how good he would have performed, but that would have been a great move for the Fish, probably could have locked down the Catcher position for awhile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

*White Sox designated hitter

Yup, that's why they carry 3 catchers.  Wouldn't mind taking a stab at Collins if they make him avialable.  Former Cane and 1st round pick. Not sure if he was ever considered good defensively though.   I know he was a bat 1st prospect.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.