Atlantic League Rule Change Experiments (DH, Mound)

Michael

21 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

Guys, I dont know if this has been discussed before here so I didn't want to make a thread on it. What happens if a pitcher is having a perfect game and goes to extras? 🤔🤔🤔 How are you going to throw a Perfect Game having a runner on base for the 10th?????? 🤯

Interesting question, I hadn't thought of that before, I guess because perfect games are so rare, and probably even more rare are perfect games where the pitcher's team is also being shut out for all 9 innings to make it go to extra innings. But of course, that scenario is always a possibility.

I did a little research to see if I could find any information on what would happen in that situation, I wasn't able to find much on it. I did find this information on Wikipedia:

image.png.3d6158d2d152c1116d041baad6bd73dc.png

I guess in theory it makes sense, but I haven't found any offical MLB information on what would happen in that scenario.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

Interesting question, I hadn't thought of that before, I guess because perfect games are so rare, and probably even more rare are perfect games where the pitcher's team is also being shut out for all 9 innings to make it go to extra innings. But of course, that scenario is always a possibility.

I did a little research to see if I could find any information on what would happen in that situation, I wasn't able to find much on it. I did find this information on Wikipedia:

I guess in theory it makes sense, but I haven't found any offical MLB information on what would happen in that scenario.

Thanks for the info! Wow.... that's very sad and weak.... to penalize a pitcher throwing a PG into the 10th bc of the stupid rule... incredible! Manfred has ruin the game for real. And of course I know the odds are really low of that scenario happening but still how are you gonna ruin history bc of a stupid rule??? 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ema2R said:

Guys, I dont know if this has been discussed before here so I didn't want to make a thread on it. What happens if a pitcher is having a perfect game and goes to extras? 🤔🤔🤔 How are you going to throw a Perfect Game having a runner on base for the 10th?????? 🤯

Yep, can now pitch a perfect game and lose.

3 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

Also crossed my mind today... Can ppl throw a perfect game on a 7 inning game now??? 🤔

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Major League Baseball’s official statistician, neither a team nor an individual pitcher will be credited with a no-no in a scheduled seven-inning game of a doubleheader -- unless that game goes to extras. If the contest extends to at least nine innings and that pitcher (or a team’s group of pitchers) has still not allowed a hit, then it goes down in the history books as a no-no.

https://www.mlb.com/news/seven-inning-doubleheaders-no-hitter-rules

On 4/17/2021 at 2:40 PM, SirFishFan said:

On 4/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, Ema2R said:

Thanks for the info! Wow.... that's very sad and weak.... to penalize a pitcher throwing a PG into the 10th bc of the stupid rule... incredible! Manfred has ruin the game for real. And of course I know the odds are really low of that scenario happening but still how are you gonna ruin history bc of a stupid rule??? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I came across this today and there's a mistake in that wikipedia article... a pitcher can still have a perfect game with the runner on in the 10th because a perfect game means no BATTER has reached base, the automatic runner did not bat to get on base so they are not a batter on base. They count as a base runner but not as a batter. The pitcher didn't do anything wrong for that runner to get on base and that runner didn't have to have an at bat to earn that base.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I came across this today and there's a mistake in that wikipedia article... a pitcher can still have a perfect game with the runner on in the 10th because a perfect game means no BATTER has reached base, the automatic runner did not bat to get on base so they are not a batter on base. They count as a base runner but not as a batter. The pitcher didn't do anything wrong for that runner to get on base and that runner didn't have to have an at bat to earn that base.

Ok but what if the runner scores without a hit,error,walk.... he losses the Perfect Game thanks to Manfred the Genius!!! 

Edited by Ema2R

2 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

Ok but what if the runner scores without a hit,error,walk.... he losses the Perfect Game thanks to Manfred the Genius!!! 

Correct. But a perfect game is still possible, that wikipedia thing said it was impossible and that the perfect game ends with the runner on base. If the pitcher strands that runner the perfect game is still possible. Now I'm thinking that if that runner scores without a hit or a walk being given up (let's say 2 consective sac flys?) I wonder if the pitcher can lose the game but still be credited with a perfect game and/or no hitter?

• Sad 1