Sign in to follow this  
97marlin

What do we do at the deadline

3 hours ago, 97marlin said:

we should use more pitchers fewer starters and more guys out of the pen. Let them pitch once through the order. Elieser and Richards are great, but not twice through, they each have 1 dominant pitch. If the marlins ever decided to be great, they could shorten starts and immidiatley be effective. It would improve an already good starting rotation.

All games be the bullpen game !?

4 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

All games be the bullpen game !?

That's one way to put it? It's really just modern baseball, and use known tendencies to inform how the team approaches an already obvious problem.

2 hours ago, 97marlin said:

That's one way to put it? It's really just modern baseball, and use known tendencies to inform how the team approaches an already obvious problem.

I completely agree with you, but there's NO way Mattingly could handle something like that. He already struggles so much with a "regular" bullpen. 

17 hours ago, Rydawg said:

Unless someone is going to overpay, which I doubt, we should hold into him.

This is exactly it regarding Rojas. Keep him unless a team overpays, perfectly fine choice.

47 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I completely agree with you, but there's NO way Mattingly could handle something like that. He already struggles so much with a "regular" bullpen. 

You really think this FO would leave that idea in the hands of Mattingly? I'm sure @97marlin is saying to do it starting next year with the new manager. Leave it alone for now.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, cyoung said:

Richards doesn't have any value.  Unfortunately he's too inconsistent.  When he's on, he's untouchable, but he can't be that consistently.  

I thing he ultimately ends up being a nice mid-inning arm out of the pen for us.  Somebody that can run through the order once, and get us to the late innings.

5 more years of club control and that enticing changeup has no value? I agree with your other statement though, I think he's a mid 4 ERA guy. Would prob start Hernandez over him tbh.

On 7/7/2019 at 6:03 PM, SongInTheAir said:

Oh honey, wait until you see Alcantara when the regression monster hits him. 

I think Alcantara has a way higher ceiling and growth potential than Richards. I think he only gets better from here tbh. He has something that Richards doesn't, and that's pedigree and a power arm. Ureña and Richards are both expendable in my eyes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vic D said:

5 more years of club control and that enticing changeup has no value? I agree with your other statement though, I think he's a mid 4 ERA guy. Would prob start Hernandez over him tbh.

Somebody will certainly trade for him, but will anybody make an offer that is worth us letting him go?  I think the answer is no. He has a ton of upside, but too little value.  He's a very low risk, high reward guy.

We can't jump the gun & trade these guys (unless somebody blows us away with an offer), and have them hit their potential elsewhere.  We have to develop them first.  If a trade happens later, it's for prospects, not warm bodies.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Somebody will certainly trade for him, but will anybody make an offer that is worth us letting him go?  I think the answer is no. He has a ton of upside, but too little value.  He's a very low risk, high reward guy.

We can't jump the gun & trade these guys (unless somebody blows us away with an offer), and have them hit their potential elsewhere.  We have to develop them first.  If a trade happens later, it's for prospects, not warm bodies.

Complete curiosity here, but what would you consider a “blow away offer”? Obviously it needs to be realistic. 

If someone is willing to offer a low end top 100 type guy, and an intriguing piece to go with it, would you take it?

1 hour ago, marlins_09 said:

Complete curiosity here, but what would you consider a “blow away offer”? Obviously it needs to be realistic. 

If someone is willing to offer a low end top 100 type guy, and an intriguing piece to go with it, would you take it?

For me this all goes back to how the organization views starting rotations. If the organization is going to scrap the 5 man rotation for the deep bullpen starts, Richards is super valuable. He has a plus plus pitch, with an unconventional repertoire. If they are insistent that starters go 5+ innings, and the bullpen is used for the tail end of the game in 1 inning spurts, his value would be limited. 

2 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, I'd be content with the low end top 100 guy. Especially if it was a bat. Ureña and Richards are the first two voted off of my island once Cabrera, Garrett, Rodgers, Holloway, Sixto etc are ready. I could be jumping the gun on Richards and cheating his development, but I feel he's pretty topped out. His place in the rotation is written in sand.