Sign in to follow this  
97marlin

What do we do at the deadline

6 hours ago, Vic D said:

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, I'd be content with the low end top 100 guy. Especially if it was a bat. Ureña and Richards are the first two voted off of my island once Cabrera, Garrett, Rodgers, Holloway, Sixto etc are ready. I could be jumping the gun on Richards and cheating his development, but I feel he's pretty topped out. His place in the rotation is written in sand.

I agree with all of that (except Holloway). Richards will be better served as a bullpen arm where he can use his mix of CH & FB to get 3-6 outs an outing. If someone offers a top 100 or similar bat that is within a year or so of making it to the league, I’m jumping all over that personally. 

Richards is 26 and has an above-average (albeit slightly) ERA. He's sitting at 4.18. National League average for starters is 4.30, MLB average for starters is 4.46. He was also in the average range last year.

Average would be a #3/#4 starter on an average team, right? This is definitely the kind of player you hang on to. He's striking out nearly a batter an inning across his first 2 seasons/225 innings. Patience, y'all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Richards is 26 and has an above-average (albeit slightly) ERA. He's sitting at 4.18. National League average for starters is 4.30, MLB average for starters is 4.46. He was also in the average range last year.

Average would be a #3/#4 starter on an average team, right? This is definitely the kind of player you hang on to. He's striking out nearly a batter an inning across his first 2 seasons/225 innings. Patience, y'all.

Really excited to see what this second half brings for all of our starters, lots of sampling for evaluation left. You're ultimately right, patience is key.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

I agree with all of that (except Holloway). Richards will be better served as a bullpen arm where he can use his mix of CH & FB to get 3-6 outs an outing. If someone offers a top 100 or similar bat that is within a year or so of making it to the league, I’m jumping all over that personally. 

You don't like Holloway? If we could somehow eventually have Ureña Richards and Hernandez coming out of our pen that'd be dope lol

27 minutes ago, Vic D said:

You don't like Holloway? If we could somehow eventually have Ureña Richards and Hernandez coming out of our pen that'd be dope lol

but that means Chen and Conley would lose playing time....f that

• Laugh 2

8 hours ago, Vic D said:

Not a fan of Holloway myself, walking too many for my liking and not striking out enough to offset that.

I have no idea what stuff he has, so if he can turn it around, I'm all for it, of course.

9 hours ago, Vic D said:

He’s 23 in A+ with a 7.1 BB/9. The stuff is there, but I don’t see him improving enough from a command standpoint to make it to the big leagues as a starter. He would need to make a monumental jump. 

It’s time to move him to the pen and see if that can mask his severe control issues in shorter outings. I think there’s a lot of Brian Ellington with this kid. 

Guzman & Holloway should be the first two Milb starters moved into Bullpen roles 

On 7/8/2019 at 2:30 AM, SongInTheAir said:

Just realistic, honestly. Alcantara doesn't miss bats, and his run prevention is not sustainable if he keeps walking almost as many guys as he strikes out. I understand that on-field performance is the most important metric, but there's plenty of value in advanced stats like SIERA and FIP, both of which show Alcantara is (right now) a well below average pitcher. I think he can still develop into a solid starter as he's shown plenty of signs of putting things together, but there remains the chance that his career follows the path of Jarred Cosart (eerily similar numbers at this point)

It was no coincidence he gave up two really hard hit ground balls in his All Star outing.  0 earned runs but as you mentioned, disaster is looming. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 4:31 PM, marlins_09 said:

I read this as "get 3-6 outs an inning" and was about to say the catcher either needs to stop dropping so many 3rd strikes or Richards needs to become the highest paid pitcher in history

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

20 hours ago, DTrain said:

It was no coincidence he gave up two really hard hit ground balls in his All Star outing.  0 earned runs but as you mentioned, disaster is looming. 

Disaster seems a bit of a stretch. I’m pretty low on Sandy myself, but there’s no reason he can’t be a serviceable 3-4, or a high leverage reliever. Let’s not act like this is Justin Nicolino territory where he’s going to get shelled back to AAA