Sign in to follow this  
rmc523

WTF? MLB approves Rays to explore playing in BOTH Tampa and Montreal?

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Huh? So what if the 2 city deal doesnt happen then what? This seems like posturing but it's weird for him to say there is no other option. 

That's what I thought as I watched it.  How do you say your plan is to do everything you can to keep the team in the Tampa area and then turn around and basically say, this harebrained plan is all or nothing?  If this doesn't work, he says he doesn't see a way the team can stay.

I did notice the comments about how it's not up to only one person when it comes to where baseball is played, but it's ultimately  up to a large group.  I interpreted that as "when I move the team, I can blame it on the local gov, MLB, MLBPA, etc." so he's "not the bad guy."

23 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Huh? So what if the 2 city deal doesnt happen then what? This seems like posturing but it's weird for him to say there is no other option. 

Yeah, it was odd.  He was asked by several reporters the same question point blank, "so if this split deal doesn't work, will you revert to the full 81 games here in TB?" And he repeatedly said, "that's not our focus right now, after all we've been through and learned, it's highly unlikely".  Asked if there was anything Tampa could do to keep the team the full season - "I don't see it, given what I know"

In his prepared statement, he said how it'd be about "baseball thriving in both places like it could not - would not - were all 81 games in one place."

Granted, their lease runs through 2027, so theoretically they'll be there until then unless some other agreement is made.  But that said, I also didn't understand his timeline.  He was saying ideally this would be set up for 2024, but then they have the lease through 2027 at the Trop, and hey said they're committed to that too, which would mean either they're paying to not play in the Trop, or it's just a 2027 lease for St. Pete the city, not the Trop specifically?

So their backup plan is just nothing?

The idea that this ISN'T a negotiating tactic ("build us a park or else") is crazy.  Not to mention, the league/owners would miss out on an expansion team fee in a "new" city.

This is all kinds of weird.

Borderline worse than Loria in the sense that Loria always took the stance of really wanting to help the Marlins stay here while today this guy is flat out saying he can't see the Rays surviving in Tampa full time. 

39 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

This is all kinds of weird.

Borderline worse than Loria in the sense that Loria always took the stance of really wanting to help the Marlins stay here while today this guy is flat out saying he can't see the Rays surviving in Tampa full time. 

I agree completely and think it’s worse than Loria, Loria made boneheaded moves at times but in the end he always genuinely wanted the best for the team and the best for South Florida. He signed a 13 Year, $300 Million contract for Stanton. That takes commitment.

On Opening Day of 2018, the Rays owner complained during an in-game interview about how the new $3 coffee they were promoting was ”too cheap”.

Just think if you’re a Rays fan, why would I spend money to support a team when I may not be able to attend any postseason games.

Finally, if they ever win a World Series (They Haven’t Yet) where are they going to have their parade!

I have an idea, they can meet each other in SOUTH HILL, VA!  

So grateful to be a fan of Florida’s only MLB team, the Miami Marlins!!!

On 6/22/2019 at 9:04 PM, SonOfJack said:

Wouldn’t be so easy to go back to Florida. 

The Marlins successfully got back to Florida from Philadelphia after the last road trip. Why would they have any problems returning home?

• Like 1

I'm aware the pot is calling the kettle black here but, would anyone notice if Rays fans boycotted? 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I knew we were going to grow into a much larger fan base if the Rays left. Having exclusive TV rights to the state of Florida will help us have a much larger payroll.