What is your favorite moment while attending a Marlins game?

SirFishFan

4 hours ago, EricWiener1970 said:

I went to the Marlins game for my 26th birthday and Al Leiter pitched a no-hitter.

Or the day Chris Hammond hit my seat with a grand slam while I was getting a drink

And obviously game 7 in 1997. Right as the Marlins did their comeback to tie it I finished one of those enormous souvenir buckets of soda. And then wouldn't leave my seat even though I had to pee. I swear hitting the urinal was almost the satisfying as the win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, EricWiener1970 said:

And obviously game 7 in 1997. Right as the Marlins did their comeback to tie it I finished one of those enormous souvenir buckets of soda. And then wouldn't leave my seat even though I had to pee. I swear hitting the urinal was almost the satisfying as the win.

Surprised you didn't pee yourself celebrating the victory, to be honest. Respect on your bladder control.

• Haha 1
  • Banana 1

I don't know if I can pick one favorite moment because there's so many and each is uniquely special so I don't like to even try and pick a favorite but some of the most memorable off the top of my head...

I was at the game the day after Jose died, that was something else, too hard to put into words to be honest.

I was also at Game 1 of the 97 World Series and I have many vivid memories of that one.

And here's one that sticks out that nobody mentioned yet: the Cody Ross cowbell game, I remember yelling so much I got dizzy and nauseous from the excitement that I had to sit and regroup myself for a moment haha.

Also I was at one of the 03 NLDS games (though I can't for the life of me remember which one of the top of my head), Volquez's no hitter, Griffey's 600th homer, I saw a Bonds homer at a game once and man what a sight that was, there was a Lowell walk off homer in 04 that blew my mind, now that I think about it there's so many moments that I can't pinpoint a date to unless I look them up but it's like the moments exist independently in my mind. Oh in 95 my dad and I went to an extra inning game that was the longest Marlins game to date, pretty sure it ended at like 1am and I remember it because it was a school night and the next day I had to do a presentation that I was initially nervous about but I was so sleepy that I ended up just doing the presentation in zombie mode and being so tired is what got me through it because I was too tired to even stress it anymore lol, man that game was so worth it.

There's also countless Opening Days including 2005, 2009, 2012, and 2014 that stick out the most. Tbh there's some Opening Days that stick out for negative reasons as well but I won't go there.

There's also an either 1993 or 1994 game which was the only time I went to a game with my grandfather and I just remember that day so beautifully looking back and I still remember how he kept telling me that he knew Orestes Destrade's family back in Cuba. To this day I'm not sure how serious he was or if he was just giving me an exaggerated grandfather story but it was so cool to hear at the time.

Then there was the last home game of the 2006 season in which I desperately wanted to go but everyone and their mother bailed on me, including my dad lol, and I had no one to go with and I was so bothered that I couldn't go because nobody was able to join me and then a couple hours before the game I realized that I asked so many people that I didn't really care who I went with so it wasn't about the company it was about seeing the game so I realized I could easily just go alone, which I had never done before, so I drove my butt up to the stadium and it was the only game I ever attended alone and holy cow it was a blast, I enjoyed that game so much, that one stood out to me because it reminded me how I loved the team on my own, not because of whoever was with me. Just a weird but important day for me, it kinda made me rethink how much of a fan I am.

There's probably so many lesser but still great moments that I've forgotten over the years too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't know if I can pick one favorite moment because there's so many and each is uniquely special so I don't like to even try and pick a favorite but some of the most memorable off the top of my head...

I was at the game the day after Jose died, that was something else, too hard to put into words to be honest.

I was also at Game 1 of the 97 World Series and I have many vivid memories of that one.

And here's one that sticks out that nobody mentioned yet: the Cody Ross cowbell game, I remember yelling so much I got dizzy and nauseous from the excitement that I had to sit and regroup myself for a moment haha.

Also I was at one of the 03 NLDS games (though I can't for the life of me remember which one of the top of my head), Volquez's no hitter, Griffey's 600th homer, I saw a Bonds homer at a game once and man what a sight that was, there was a Lowell walk off homer in 04 that blew my mind, now that I think about it there's so many moments that I can't pinpoint a date to unless I look them up but it's like the moments exist independently in my mind. Oh in 95 my dad and I went to an extra inning game that was the longest Marlins game to date, pretty sure it ended at like 1am and I remember it because it was a school night and the next day I had to do a presentation that I was initially nervous about but I was so sleepy that I ended up just doing the presentation in zombie mode and being so tired is what got me through it because I was too tired to even stress it anymore lol, man that game was so worth it.

There's also countless Opening Days including 2005, 2009, 2012, and 2014 that stick out the most. Tbh there's some Opening Days that stick out for negative reasons as well but I won't go there.

There's also an either 1993 or 1994 game which was the only time I went to a game with my grandfather and I just remember that day so beautifully looking back and I still remember how he kept telling me that he knew Orestes Destrade's family back in Cuba. To this day I'm not sure how serious he was or if he was just giving me an exaggerated grandfather story but it was so cool to hear at the time.

Then there was the last home game of the 2006 season in which I desperately wanted to go but everyone and their mother bailed on me, including my dad lol, and I had no one to go with and I was so bothered that I couldn't go because nobody was able to join me and then a couple hours before the game I realized that I asked so many people that I didn't really care who I went with so it wasn't about the company it was about seeing the game so I realized I could easily just go alone, which I had never done before, so I drove my butt up to the stadium and it was the only game I ever attended alone and holy cow it was a blast, I enjoyed that game so much, that one stood out to me because it reminded me how I loved the team on my own, not because of whoever was with me. Just a weird but important day for me, it kinda made me rethink how much of a fan I am.

There's probably so many lesser but still great moments that I've forgotten over the years too.

Wish I had a love button for this post.

• Like 2

Great topic, thanks for it. Reading everyone's responses has more and more memories pop up. I'll start a some honorable mentions:

• 2003 World Series, Game 4. Alex Gonzalez hits a walk-off homer in extras. I don't remember seeing the swing, but I distinctly remember watching the ball fly over the left field wall. Man, oh man.
  • A September 2003 home game versus the Phillies. Probably THIS ONE. After the win, all the fans were chanting and screaming on our way out of the stadium. "LET'S GO, MARLINS!"
  • Roy Halladay's Perfect Game. I don't think I could bring myself to applaud for him, but it was incredible to watch. And JJ threw a gem as well.

I have to pick 2 all-time favorites:

• It's my birthday circa 1996. I forgot my lunch, and so I had to charge a ham and cheese sandwich at the cafeteria. I was embarrassed that I forgot my lunch, and I didn't really want the sandwich. Suddenly, the cafeteria doors burst open. It's my dad! He says, "I'm taking you to the Marlins Spring Training game for your birthday." 😭
  • Sometime between 1998-2001. I bring a Jesus Sanchez card over to the bullpen and ask for a signature. He thinks the card is so cool that he shows it to everyone in the bullpen, signs it, and gives it back to me. It's a Bowman International parallel with a map of his home country in the background. The card is also entirely in his native language, Spanish. I felt SO special that day.

EA4C8C3A-0D04-45CD-9B59-BFEF27AC4241.jpeg

Edited by mystikol87
Adding photo of card
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

here's also countless Opening Days including 2005, 2009, 2012, and 2014 that stick out the most. Tbh there's some Opening Days that stick out for negative reasons as well but I won't go there.

This reminded me of the Opening Day I was at a few years ago where they had the roof open and it rained and there was a rain delay at a park with a roof.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

This reminded me of the Opening Day I was at a few years ago where they had the roof open and it rained and there was a rain delay at a park with a roof.

Eyyy I was there too! 2015.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Eyyy I was there too! 2015.

I was sitting down the 1B line in those seats near the field toward the outfield/end of that lower section.

Crazy that it was 6 years ago already.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

I was sitting down the 1B line in those seats near the field toward the outfield/end of that lower section.

Crazy that it was 6 years ago already.

I was in the home run porch. Lol.

Henderson Alvarez had our first hit and scored our only run that day.

Shame 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Great stories! 

Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Great topic, thanks for it. Reading everyone's responses has more and more memories pop up. I'll start a some honorable mentions:

• 2003 World Series, Game 4. Alex Gonzalez hits a walk-off homer in extras. I don't remember seeing the swing, but I distinctly remember watching the ball fly over the left field wall. Man, oh man.
  • A September 2003 home game versus the Phillies. Probably THIS ONE. After the win, all the fans were chanting and screaming on our way out of the stadium. "LET'S GO, MARLINS!"
  • Roy Halladay's Perfect Game. I don't think I could bring myself to applaud for him, but it was incredible to watch. And JJ threw a gem as well.

I have to pick 2 all-time favorites:

• It's my birthday circa 1996. I forgot my lunch, and so I had to charge a ham and cheese sandwich at the cafeteria. I was embarrassed that I forgot my lunch, and I didn't really want the sandwich. Suddenly, the cafeteria doors burst open. It's my dad! He says, "I'm taking you to the Marlins Spring Training game for your birthday." 😭
  • Sometime between 1998-2001. I bring a Jesus Sanchez card over to the bullpen and ask for a signature. He thinks the card is so cool that he shows it to everyone in the bullpen, signs it, and gives it back to me. It's a Bowman International parallel with a map of his home country in the background. The card is also entirely in his native language, Spanish. I felt SO special that day.

EA4C8C3A-0D04-45CD-9B59-BFEF27AC4241.jpeg

Man, those are all great stories!

It must have felt pretty special getting to go to a surprise baseball game on your birthday,  especially when you forgot your lunch and were feeling disappointed that you had to eat a ham and cheese cafeteria sandwich!

That is one thing I love about a lot of the stories people are sharing here, usually our most special and favorite memories involves something simple and small details like spending the day at a game with someone from our family, having those shared memories, or meeting a player even just for 2-3 minutes, or even just having a shared moment with 30,000 strangers at a stadium, who after your team wins a big game or gets a big hit, for that one moment of the day, no matter who they are or where they’re from, that one moment, we’re all friends, sharing a special Marlins moment all together! 😂

I guess that’s my favorite thing about Baseball (well, sports in general, but Baseball is my favorite sport). 😂

Thanks for sharing all those great stories!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Yea this is one of the ones I was thinking about. I got tickets to that one like the day before and so I was literally at one of the last rows at the very top to the point where I was under a permanent part of the roof and so I didn't get wet, I didn't even realize it was raining at first as I was wondering why fans were fleeing their seats, took me a bit to realize what was happening. At least from my vantage point it was funny at the moment but what an embarrassing moment that one was.

21 hours ago, EricWiener1970 said:

I went to the Marlins game for my 26th birthday and Al Leiter pitched a no-hitter.

Or the day Chris Hammond hit my seat with a grand slam while I was getting a drink

I was supposed to be at that Leiter game but was sick. A group of my friends was there. The only no-hitter I've seen live was Halladay's against us

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

Man, those are all great stories!

It must have felt pretty special getting to go to a surprise baseball game on your birthday,  especially when you forgot your lunch and were feeling disappointed that you had to eat a ham and cheese cafeteria sandwich!

That is one thing I love about a lot of the stories people are sharing here, usually our most special and favorite memories involves something simple and small details like spending the day at a game with someone from our family, having those shared memories, or meeting a player even just for 2-3 minutes, or even just having a shared moment with 30,000 strangers at a stadium, who after your team wins a big game or gets a big hit, for that one moment of the day, no matter who they are or where they’re from, that one moment, we’re all friends, sharing a special Marlins moment all together! 😂

I guess that’s my favorite thing about Baseball (well, sports in general, but Baseball is my favorite sport). 😂

Thanks for sharing all those great stories!

My second favorite Marlins game was I've ever been to was Tuesday, September 20, 2016. The first-place Nationals were in town. Stanton hit a long home run, but it was all about the pitcher. It was probably the best game Jose Fernandez ever pitched: 8 IP, 3 H, no walks and 12 K. He probably wanted to finish the game, but he was up over 100 pitches, and Mattingly never really wanted Jose to overdo it. The Stanton HR was the only run scored that night.

Sure, we probably weren't going to make the playoffs, but the future was ridiculously bright. We had an All-Star outfield, an All-Star caliber catcher, our All-Star 2B had finished serving a half-year-long suspension, and we had Jose. And who knows: we were 4 games out of the playoffs with 11 to play, but I reasoned that we still had a another 2 starts from Jose left, and if we could win most of the remaining games, maybe we could sneak into the playoffs. The sky was the limit, and with the All-Star Game coming in 2017, it was going to be the Year of the Fish. I've never left a Marlins game with so much hope for the team's future - and we've won the World Series - twice!

Jose never pitched again. 

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea this is one of the ones I was thinking about. I got tickets to that one like the day before and so I was literally at one of the last rows at the very top to the point where I was under a permanent part of the roof and so I didn't get wet, I didn't even realize it was raining at first as I was wondering why fans were fleeing their seats, took me a bit to realize what was happening. At least from my vantage point it was funny at the moment but what an embarrassing moment that one was.

I think where we were sitting, it was just perfect to where we weren't getting wet but people nearby were.  Either we were under the retracted portion of the roof or the way the wind swirled kept us dry.

9 hours ago, bmg42 said:

My second favorite Marlins game was I've ever been to was Tuesday, September 20, 2016. The first-place Nationals were in town. Stanton hit a long home run, but it was all about the pitcher. It was probably the best game Jose Fernandez ever pitched: 8 IP, 3 H, no walks and 12 K. He probably wanted to finish the game, but he was up over 100 pitches, and Mattingly never really wanted Jose to overdo it. The Stanton HR was the only run scored that night.

Sure, we probably weren't going to make the playoffs, but the future was ridiculously bright. We had an All-Star outfield, an All-Star caliber catcher, our All-Star 2B had finished serving a half-year-long suspension, and we had Jose. And who knows: we were 4 games out of the playoffs with 11 to play, but I reasoned that we still had a another 2 starts from Jose left, and if we could win most of the remaining games, maybe we could sneak into the playoffs. The sky was the limit, and with the All-Star Game coming in 2017, it was going to be the Year of the Fish. I've never left a Marlins game with so much hope for the team's future - and we've won the World Series - twice!

Jose never pitched again. 

You know, I didn't remember that much about that game - I knew he pitched well, but didn't remember it being that well!

I was on a rooftop for the Cubs-Marlins in 2015 in Chicago. Marlins got smoked but it was a BLAST. It was a July 4th game and the first time Wrigley had fireworks in the stadium for like 100 years or something like that. On top of that, you had a 360 degree view of Chicago and the hundreds and hundreds of firework displays throughout the city. It was awesome 

Rooftop games are a blast if you are at the ones with a full view of the field. So drunk