Jump to content

Cooper and BA nicked up


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Whomever signs first (but Freeman due to age)

Damn I didnt realize they were both virtually the same age.

Good job Das.  REtract that part. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/no-extension-negotiations-between-braves-freddie-freeman.html

If the Braves showing no respect to him then it's possible he would chooses coming here to beat the Braves. 

Damn, I guess I don't keep up that much with what is going on around the league.

I had just assumed that the Freeman would automatically be an Atlanta Brave for his whole career much in the same way as Chipper Jones was.

I guess in 2021 baseball, things are quite different than even 20 years ago. It would be cool to see some current players stay their whole careers with one team in the same way that guys like Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Edgar Martinez and Cal Ripken Jr. used to.

I guess the most recent example of someone doing that is Dustin Pedroia, but with the way things are now days, I'm not sure I can think of many current players who will play their entire career for just one team with being traded or signing with another team in free agency, and especially any player from the Marlins who have basically been the AAAA team for the rest of the league most of their history. 😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you say you gave up your fandom but still follow a team daily including knowing about their minor league system you are still a fan you're just lying to yourself to make yourself sound like a hard ass.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Speaking of Brian Anderson.....

 

Weren't there a decent number of people clamoring to sign up Anderson long term for some ungodly reason last year and into this ST?

I never got it, make him play out his arbitration years and figure it out from there.

Only player on the active roster worth even discussing any pre free agency/buy out arbitration extension is Jazz and thats a year or two premature even.  The rest, who the fuck cares.  

Hopefully that can change but a lot of who cares type players right now.  

 

 

I don't think anyone here was advocating for a "sign BA at all costs" approach.

 

I think it's more that he's been a pretty consistent player at the end of the day, and that you offer him a team friendly deal that puts his costs into known territory.  And if he does figure it out and take it to another level, you'll either be 1) locked into an affordable deal for better performance, or 2) be kicking yourself that you didn't sign him to an extension.

 

Furthermore, it also shows players/the industry that the Marlins are willing to invest in longer term deals for players.

Edited by rmc523
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

 

I don't think anyone here was advocating for a "sign BA at all costs" approach.

 

I think it's more that he's been a pretty consistent player at the end of the day, and that you offer him a team friendly deal that puts his costs into known territory.  And if he does figure it out and take it to another level, you'll either be 1) locked into an affordable deal for better performance, or 2) be kicking yourself that you didn't sign him to an extension.

 

Furthermore, it also shows players/the industry that the Marlins are willing to invest in longer term deals for players.

BA gives this organization breathing room to develop other prospects and make other players affordable when it’s time to pursue extensions which may be his biggest asset to the team.  Like you said a team friendly deal that doesn’t lock us up would be ideal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Das Texan said:

The Cardinal fan base are littered with fucking idiotic morons (as are most fan bases fwiw).  Those beat their chests to bfib are the absolute worst.

Might be worst that your typical Red Sox fan. 

Red sox fans are just meatballs. Cardinal fans think they're God's gift to baseball. I've been around them my entire life. Somehow their social media fans are worse. The perception that they're the best fans in sports is the most asinine myth there is

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I was a Marlin fan from the day of the expansion draft and then slowly started to say fuck it after all the many firesales. 

The final Loria fire sale (was that the fourth one?  fifth one?  ) was when I finally officially said fuck it.  

Fool me 8 times and shame on me at that point.  

I get it. Im just too old and could never switch teams. Dont get me wrong, ive had many apathetic baseball years. Aka, me ghosting this site for years at a time. But I could never switch my loyalty. I fucking love the marlins

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iowa said:

I get it. Im just too old and could never switch teams. Dont get me wrong, ive had many apathetic baseball years. Aka, me ghosting this site for years at a time. But I could never switch my loyalty. I fucking love the marlins

Loyalty goes both ways.

If a team doesnt deserve my loyalty why the fuck should I give it?

Blind loyalty is stupid.  I've grown to learn and accept that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Loyalty goes both ways.

If a team doesnt deserve my loyalty why the fuck should I give it?

Blind loyalty is stupid.  I've grown to learn and accept that.  

What do you define as loyalty? Consistent winning? Because if that's what you're waiting for that makes you a bandwagon fan. 

  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

What do you define as loyalty? Consistent winning? Because if that's what you're waiting for that makes you a bandwagon fan. 

consistently fucking over your fanbase for one is something that doesnt really scream loyalty.

Basically saying you are going to do one thing and then doing the exact opposite 18 months later for one. 

multiple fire sales over a 15 year period doesnt exactly scream loyalty.

There is winning and there is 'trying to win' also fwiw.  Fans can be very understanding when it comes to not winning if management is actually semi honest with fans.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

consistently fucking over your fanbase for one is something that doesnt really scream loyalty.

Basically saying you are going to do one thing and then doing the exact opposite 18 months later for one. 

multiple fire sales over a 15 year period doesnt exactly scream loyalty.

There is winning and there is 'trying to win' also fwiw.  Fans can be very understanding when it comes to not winning if management is actually semi honest with fans.  

Good thing there's new management!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I'll never forgive the president and I refuse to vote in another election -- ever since the Whig Party refused to oppose slavery!

Exercise your right to exercise!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

consistently fucking over your fanbase for one is something that doesnt really scream loyalty.

Basically saying you are going to do one thing and then doing the exact opposite 18 months later for one. 

multiple fire sales over a 15 year period doesnt exactly scream loyalty.

There is winning and there is 'trying to win' also fwiw.  Fans can be very understanding when it comes to not winning if management is actually semi honest with fans.  

So you never answered my question, what do you see as being loyalty from them? You make it sound like you'd "return" if they proved loyalty to you, so what would that take?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Das Texan Why do you make following a sports team sound like such a major decision/commitment?

Are you becoming an investor in the team? Are you becoming a sponsor for them? Are you donating an extravagant amount of money to them?

Sports are a form of entertainment, whether you call yourself a fan or not is not that serious.

Does being a fan of the Marlins really ruin your life so much that you can't be bothered to call yourself a fan even if you're a disgruntled one? You know you aren't required to commit insane amounts of time and money to be a fan, right?

Why are you so protective of your "loyalty" to the Marlins? As if they care whether you call yourself a fan or not. Trust me they aren't losing anything if Mr. D. Texan isn't admitting that he's a Marlins fan.

Tbh, you say you're not a fan yet you give just as much to this team as many other people just by following them and watching some of their games so in the eyes of the organization you're doing what they need whether you admit it or not.

You withholding your admittance of fandom from them as if it's something so crucial to them is silly, it's your hipster way of trying to seem above them and above the rest of us, the latter part being a big reason why everyone here is so annoyed by you.

"I'm here following this team just like all of you guys but I'm better than all of you because I'm a Cardinals fan, not a Marlins fan!"

You follow the team, you post on a message board about them, you know quite a bit about their minor league system, the fact that you were even bothered by their past mistakes says a lot too.

You're the kid who says they hate school but they've got great attendance and great grades. Your words don't connect with your practice. 

You're a Marlins fan, whether you admit it or not is meaningless at this point.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cooper's best fit to the team would be the DH due to his vulnerable tendency, even though Mattingly wants to give Duvall, Aguilar and Cooper as many At-Bats as possible but it's not surprise to see Cooper has the least At-Bats among them. Duvall's great defense and Aguilar's fast start all decreasing Cooper's playing time and his slow start would only make it worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

@Das Texan Why do you make following a sports team sound like such a major decision/commitment?

Are you becoming an investor in the team? Are you becoming a sponsor for them? Are you donating an extravagant amount of money to them?

Sports are a form of entertainment, whether you call yourself a fan or not is not that serious.

Does being a fan of the Marlins really ruin your life so much that you can't be bothered to call yourself a fan even if you're a disgruntled one? You know you aren't required to commit insane amounts of time and money to be a fan, right?

Why are you so protective of your "loyalty" to the Marlins? As if they care whether you call yourself a fan or not. Trust me they aren't losing anything if Mr. D. Texan isn't admitting that he's a Marlins fan.

Tbh, you say you're not a fan yet you give just as much to this team as many other people just by following them and watching some of their games so in the eyes of the organization you're doing what they need whether you admit it or not.

You withholding your admittance of fandom from them as if it's something so crucial to them is silly, it's your hipster way of trying to seem above them and above the rest of us, the latter part being a big reason why everyone here is so annoyed by you.

"I'm here following this team just like all of you guys but I'm better than all of you because I'm a Cardinals fan, not a Marlins fan!"

You follow the team, you post on a message board about them, you know quite a bit about their minor league system, the fact that you were even bothered by their past mistakes says a lot too.

You're the kid who says they hate school but they've got great attendance and great grades. Your words don't connect with your practice. 

You're a Marlins fan, whether you admit it or not is meaningless at this point.

It's you people around here that seem to care tbh.

The Marlins dont care. 

Major League Baseball doesnt care.

Its a select group on this little blog that seem to actually care for some odd reason as if its strange to have someone who doesnt live and die Marlins actually know things about their franchise.

Heaven forbid!  I have a lot of roots in the Marlin organization.  I'll probably always at least 'pay attention' to what they are doing.

Doesnt mean I'm rushing out to go buy a Marlins hat or call myself some Marlin fan tomorrow.

I'm probably more critical of the Cardinals and their mismanagement so there's that.

At least the Marlins dont have any idiotically moronic giant contracts that are albatrosses around their necks right now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...