Sign in to follow this  
taiwanmarlin

Should this team to sign big bats ?

I think it is a bit early. Honestly, I think they should start giving Harold some reps at first. He's a terrible OF and there are a ton of great OF in the minors.

If you want to sign a big 1B. I have my eyes on Rizzo in a few years. Him along with Lindor would signal to the whole league that we are ready. This off season, I would rather see them go for a few relievers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I think it is a bit early. Honestly, I think they should start giving Harold some reps at first. He's a terrible OF and there are a ton of great OF in the minors.

If you want to sign a big 1B. I have my eyes on Rizzo in a few years. Him along with Lindor would signal to the whole league that we are ready. This off season, I would rather see them go for a few relievers.

Harold's not THAT bad. He rates best in left field, so should probably leave him over there. Can't just move him to first base, either, he's only 5'10 and his speed would be wasted there. Cooper is fine at first.

Lindor I wouldn't mind signing, or Rendon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Harold's not THAT bad. He rates best in left field, so should probably leave him over there. Can't just move him to first base, either, he's only 5'10 and his speed would be wasted there. Cooper is fine at first.

Lindor I wouldn't mind signing, or Rendon.

The eye test may have decieved me, but when Monte Harrison and others get up, there will be a stark contrast in the defensive prowess vs Harold Ramirez. Would rather see him in the lineup if he continues to hit. Improving his versatility could help keep him in the lineup every day.

I think Rendon is a bit early. The Farm has made great strides, but I think we need at least one more good draft and Rendon would cost a pick.

It wouldn't be an over the hill guy like Encarnacion but it is interesting to think if they might sign a bat if they do continue to show improvement throughout the year as they've been doing lately. 

20 of 35 lately right? A couple more stretches like this might be enough to move to the next stage of the rebuild even if they still finish in last place. 

Also remember they made a push for DJ Lemahieu last offseason... this ownership might not be as far from free agency as we think. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

20 of 35 lately right? A couple more stretches like this might be enough to move to the next stage of the rebuild even if they still finish in last place. 

Absolutely. This kind of play should expedite the plans. We are getting a clearer picture of the team's specific needs. It is no longer "everything".

• Like 5

DiDi Gregorious and/or Rizzo make a ton of sense IMO. Both lefty bats that our future core lineup needs, and help fill the holes we have at SS/1B. Rizzo is less likely to make it to FA which is ok because we could gamble on Cooper and maybe find a less prominent L 1B to pair with him. 

16 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

The eye test may have decieved me, but when Monte Harrison and others get up, there will be a stark contrast in the defensive prowess vs Harold Ramirez. Would rather see him in the lineup if he continues to hit. Improving his versatility could help keep him in the lineup every day.

I think Rendon is a bit early. The Farm has made great strides, but I think we need at least one more good draft and Rendon would cost a pick.

Rendon may be "early" but if you can sign him, you do, as he'll be here in whatever competitive window you create (you're not signing him for a year or two) - he could be that Werth type signing where you get a guy maybe before you're ready to be truly competitive, but he'll be there, and show everyone you're serious.

We'd presumably have a protected first pick, though, right?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

We'd presumably have a protected first pick, though, right?

I think we'd lose a 3rd rounder, if I remember right? Not a first rounder. I haven't seen the rulebook on draft picks regarding free agent signings, but I think the first 10 picks are protected, pretty sure.

On 6/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, SonOfJack said:

I already did this one.

so sue me 

ler's just wait and see what happens. Right now we have a bunch of 18-22 year olds in the minors who can play pretty much every position. A lot of them have real upside. Let's just wait and see. Our pitching has come around in a minute, lets see if our hitting does the same thing.

• Like 1