Sign in to follow this  
DTrain

Glenn Geffner knocks one out of the park

I'm sorry but I find this rant to be asinine. Blaming fans for not coming out to watch a last place team is ridiculous. Us diehard fans understand that the pipeline is finally starting to come together and they've been playing a lot better.. but its going to take more than a 35 game stretch to put trust back into casual Marlins fans. THEY need to rebuild the system. THEY need to put a consistent product on the field. THEY need to build-up the trust of the fans. What they're doing is a good start.... but the fans have been getting shit on for years and it will take more than a 35 game stretch of a last place team to start putting butts in the seats. Keep building, keep producing and put a worthy product on the field and the people to come.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I'm sorry but I find this rant to be asinine. Blaming fans for not coming out to watch a last place team is ridiculous. Us diehard fans understand that the pipeline is finally starting to come together and they've been playing a lot better.. but its going to take more than a 35 game stretch to put trust back into casual Marlins fans. THEY need to rebuild the system. THEY need to put a consistent product on the field. THEY need to build-up the trust of the fans. What they're doing is a good start.... but the fans have been getting shit on for years and it will take more than a 35 game stretch of a last place team to start putting butts in the seats. Keep building, keep producing and put a worthy product on the field and the people to come.

To be serious, I can say that I keep renewing, not to show support to the marlins  for the way they do things, but for my own selfish reasons.  I grew up down here and a diehard baseball fan.  Walking in the stadium that first game in 1993 was magical, I stopped and just said "oh my, a regular season game and our own team".  Sure, the "experience" and "experiences" over the years challenges anyone to keep supporting this business, but to a baseball fan, it goes beyond a business.  I differ from the example if the food is really bad at a restaurant,  you won't keep going unless they improved it.  You can choose a different restaurant, but there will not be another team to go watch.  

I started taking my daughters to games and my older one and I watch almost every game together, either in person or on TV.  You can't beat that except I have now taken my 4 yr old granddaughter to games and she is getting it and asking a million questions.  Last Friday night, we were babysitting and it was bedtime and she said "grandpa, can we watch a little baseball before I go to sleep".  Her favorite is Brian Anderson.  Then she says "I want you to teach me baseball".  So, yea, I view this from a different perspective and it is not rare or unusual.  The fan base in other cities were built from the same relationships with the kids and the generational growth.  This is what we are striving for.  And I do not want to lose this team no matter how bad they can be and for this I always say thanks that Loria got it done, regardless of the methods.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, Iowa said:

THEY need to rebuild the system. THEY need to put a consistent product on the field. THEY need to build-up the trust of the fans. What they're doing is a good start.... but the fans have been getting shit on for years and it will take more than a 35 game stretch of a last place team to start putting butts in the seats. Keep building, keep producing and put a worthy product on the field and the people to come.

THEY have been doing that and all Glenn is saying is that maybe it's time for more fans to stop with their tired excuses. Also he specifically said he's not asking for people to suddenly go to every game but if people just go to even five more games a year it will start to make a difference. All he's saying is the Marlins have shown that they're doing their part maybe it's time for the fanbase to do the same. The way you are looking at "prove it first" makes it sound like the fanbase should wait until game 7 of the Marlins' next world series to start showing up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The way you are looking at "prove it first" makes it sound like the fanbase should wait until game 7 of the Marlins' next world series to start showing up. 

Thats not really what Iowa said.  

6 minutes ago, DTrain said:

Thats not really what Iowa said.  

So what did he say... that fans still shouldn't show up even though the organization is doing what they said they would and that at least the team is showing signs of hope? 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

So what did he say... that fans still shouldn't show up even though the organization is doing what they said they would and that at least the team is showing signs of hope? 

It's a young franchise.... it's also one that has been getting dicked around for 27 years. Fans just aren't going to show up because they're showing signs of hope. They'll show up when they field a team that consistently fields a good product. This isn't something that is going to happen in year 2 of Jeter. This is something that will happen in year 7 in a best case scenario. I understand what Geffner was saying but we can't put this at the feet of the fans when they haven't made the playoffs in 15 years, are continuously in last place and trade away their best players. 

I absolutely love the current direction of the team. If I lived in Miami, I would go quite often.  (But I don't.. I try to go to Milwaukee, Chicago or St. Louis once or twice a year for a series). But you want to attract the casual fan.. and that's not going to happen until they are consistently competitive. 

I love Geffner's passion but he needs to cool it with expectations. That isn't happening overnight.. but at least we have the makings of a FO that is competent and a bunch of good young pitchers.. is nice a start 

4 hours ago, DTrain said:

As much as I still hate the Yelich trade, it’s sooooooooooooo incredibly short sighted to hate Jeter and stop attending games at Marlins Park because of the Yelich trade.  

Don’t underestimate, though, the amount of tri-county residents that feel exactly like that guy who says he will go back when Jeter is gone because Jeter traded Yelich for a bag of peanuts.  There are WAY more of those people than there are people who understand that it’s a process. 

I was wearing a Marlins hat yesterday at my friends' condo's pool and he started talking about the Marlins because of my hat - his opening words were "I'm done with the Marlins"...."and Jeter" - he mentioned the trades of Stanton/Yelich, and how fans have been treated over the years (brought up Cabrera, etc).  So it's definitely a feeling/ something that's out there.

That said, I'm guessing if things go according to plan, and the team is competitive year in and year out, that he/they'll return.

1 hour ago, Iowa said:

That isn't happening overnight.. but at least we have the makings of a FO that is competent and a bunch of good young pitchers.. is nice a start 

I think Glenn is just asking for the start of some support the other way as well, I don't think he was blaming everyone and expecting the fans to forget everything and become season ticket holders today. He pretty much just said "the team is playing well and a 6 game homestand is about to start, maybe those who haven't gone yet should drop the shallow excuses and start considering going a bit more." Not too much to ask.

47 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So it's definitely a feeling/ something that's out there.

Yes but the feeling is driven by narratives too. If the media had, hypothetically, universally praised Jeter's early moves and the big trades then more people would have dropped the shallow excuses by now. I know in my gut that the vast majority of the people complaining about the Yelich trade didn't know who Yelich was when he was a Marlin. They know him after the fact because of all the rah rah BS that came out at that time and since then. 

This is not directed at any individual, If you still don't feel like supporting the Marlins yet because of all the teardowns and mistrust, then fine, you can still go to their games to watch the future HOFers on other teams play; if you are a fan of baseball, then watch a baseball game (who cares in all seriousness who is playing)... When I could travel, I would go to Phillies games often, (even if the Marlins weren't in town), not to support the Phillies but to watch the other teams; for example I went years ago to watch the Reds because Griffey Jr was coming to town...

• Like 1