4/27 Post Game Thread

26 minutes ago, Ema2R said:

I get what he's trying to say, but what a stunningly stupid choice of words by Mattingly here. Especially after the way Jazz looked in that fourth inning when he was double switched out, I hope he doesn't take this the wrong way. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

I get what he's trying to say, but what a stunningly stupid choice of words by Mattingly here. Especially after the way Jazz looked in that fourth inning when he was double switched out, I hope he doesn't take this the wrong way. 

Donnie’s words and reaction tells me what I already knew, that Don didn’t even want to put Jazz into the full time lead-off spot and he’s still sore because that decision was dictated by the front office.  

He’s either:  #1. Trolling, #2. Stupid or #3. Sore.   I’m going to go with #3.  

Edited by FishFry

Don was asked, if Jazz were to be sidelined, how does that effect you offensively, defensively because he has been that spark plug?  Mattingly “We just replace him (laughing) and move on”.   

Replace him with who?  Devers or Isan?  We can’t even pitch hit for a pitcher right now.  One more injury and we are completely depleted.  Jazz also stayed in there to score in that run and this is Don’s answer?  What an ingrate. 

The true leaders on this team who keep it together is Miggy & Aguilar.   

31 minutes ago, EricWiener1970 said:

And print this quotes terribly but when you see it was more of a "whatever, we can't" sort of reaction

I was thinking the same, very easy to misinterpret what he said.

Though he probably could have used the moment to give Isan some motivational words. One of those "we have Isan Diaz and we know he's more than capable of the job and we're excited to see him out there", etc.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, fish53 said:

If Donnie said about Isan "..we're excited to see him out there", no one left would take him seriously again.

Oh come on. It's managerial speak and it's the right thing to do in that scenario and everyone knows that even if you don't like Isan.

Remember last year in Atlanta when Monte was thrown out with a questionable aggressive baserunning mistake and Donnie totally backed him up even if it was a dumb move? Give me that managerial mindset any day of the week as opposed to guys like Jayce Tingler and Gabe Kapler who doubt and question their players to the media.

• Like 3

Here's the video of the quote... the point is you can't dwell on the injury, you bring in the next guy and you still "expect a winning team" no matter who is there. This organization has been preaching the importance of building depth and the "next man up" mentality and the idea that they can withstand injuries and still compete when the injuries come. It's not a knock on Jazz.

9 hours ago, FishFry said:

Don was asked, if Jazz were to be sidelined, how does that effect you offensively, defensively because he has been that spark plug?  Mattingly “We just replace him (laughing) and move on”.   

Replace him with who?  Devers or Isan?  We can’t even pitch hit for a pitcher right now.  One more injury and we are completely depleted.  Jazz also stayed in there to score in that run and this is Don’s answer?  What an ingrate. 

The true leaders on this team who keep it together is Miggy & Aguilar.   

Well we currently have 1/3 of the lineup that's automatic outs.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Here's the video of the quote... the point is you can't dwell on the injury, you bring in the next guy and you still "expect a winning team" no matter who is there. This organization has been preaching the importance of building depth and the "next man up" mentality and the idea that they can withstand injuries and still compete when the injuries come. It's not a knock on Jazz.

Yeah, the actual video is completely different than the "static" quote in the tweet.

His quote is "we replace him and move on" with a laugh because he knows you can't really replace him.  As you point out, he's pointing out that you obviously don't want anyone hurt/out, but you have to roll with the punches, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

As you point out, he's pointing out that you obviously don't want anyone hurt/out

I'd just like to point out that I want to thank you for pointing out that I pointed out what he was pointing out.