Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Marlins open to trading from pitching depth

I really want to see Ureña traded, even if the return is just spare parts/organizational depth/cash considerations. His value plummeted with the 60 day IL stint, but there should still be a team or two looking for a low-upside 7th starter. 

• Like 1

if they trade someone like Caleb ( i wouldn't be opposed to moving him) i'd just really hope it's not for a prospect described at "toolsy" - since they haven't exactly had a ton of success with those types.

Why not instead of trading the pitching depth, we have an inning shortened rotation. Let guys go twice through the order and then replace the pitcher with another young and electric arm. Let them go through the order once through, and get to a fireballing reliever.

9 hours ago, 97marlin said:

Why not instead of trading the pitching depth, we have an inning shortened rotation. Let guys go twice through the order and then replace the pitcher with another young and electric arm. Let them go through the order once through, and get to a fireballing reliever.

This ... isn't the worst idea. Have eight or nine pitchers who are able to start games [realistically] and then it's anywhere three to five one inning guys depending on 12 or 13 man bullpen ... I'm not against it.

Alternatively, The Opener.

15 hours ago, Michael said:

This ... isn't the worst idea. Have eight or nine pitchers who are able to start games [realistically] and then it's anywhere three to five one inning guys depending on 12 or 13 man bullpen ... I'm not against it.

Alternatively, The Opener.

I mean if we are being serious, there is a lot to say about optimizing pitcher use. Let Gallen, and Smith pitch deep. Everyone else shortened starts. Richards, Hernandez, and Yamamoto out of the pen. I think we'd be better off for it.

10 hours ago, 97marlin said:

I mean if we are being serious, there is a lot to say about optimizing pitcher use. Let Gallen, and Smith pitch deep. Everyone else shortened starts. Richards, Hernandez, and Yamamoto out of the pen. I think we'd be better off for it.

Again not the worst idea. I've tinkered in MLB the Show with having smaller pitching staffs using this kind of idea and having a much deeper / platoonable bench.

I've also tinkered with having literally just a bullpen, 13 relievers and having them max out at 30 pitches or three innings, whichever I feel more comfortable with and based on recent use. Usually used each pitcher every third or fourth day and it was always high level of effectiveness. I got bored after I swept April on Hall of Fame difficulty. lol

12 hours ago, Michael said:

Again not the worst idea. I've tinkered in MLB the Show with having smaller pitching staffs using this kind of idea and having a much deeper / platoonable bench.

I've also tinkered with having literally just a bullpen, 13 relievers and having them max out at 30 pitches or three innings, whichever I feel more comfortable with and based on recent use. Usually used each pitcher every third or fourth day and it was always high level of effectiveness. I got bored after I swept April on Hall of Fame difficulty. lol

the downside of it is many or most people won't understand what is going on. so they'll be upset if it doesn't work immediately.

28 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

the downside of it is many or most people won't understand what is going on. so they'll be upset if it doesn't work immediately.

This actually sums up the entire rebuild. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

This actually sums up the entire rebuild. 

Yelich trade automatic loss because Yelich broke out in a way that would have been impossible here and Brinson didn't win rookie of the year and finish second in MVP voting. Forget the other three we got back in that trade, automatic busts.