Increase in No-Hitters

FishFan95

Last night Wade Miley threw the 4th No-Hitter this season and the 2nd this week. If you include the Mad Bum 7 inning no hitter, then that makes 5. There seems to be an increase in no-no's. Why do you guys think that is?

The launch angle revolution?

Disregard for strikeouts?

Over shifting?

Tell me what you guys think.

19 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Last night Wade Miley threw the 4th No-Hitter this season and the 2nd this week. If you include the Mad Bum 7 inning no hitter, then that makes 5. There seems to be an increase in no-no's. Why do you guys think that is?

The launch angle revolution?

Disregard for strikeouts?

Over shifting?

Tell me what you guys think.

All of the above? Look up and down the lineups too. Just a truck ton of dudes who are hitting around the Mendoza line thanks to the focus on hitting the 3 run HR as opposed to just hitting where it aint

2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

All of the above? Look up and down the lineups too. Just a truck ton of dudes who are hitting around the Mendoza line thanks to the focus on hitting the 3 run HR as opposed to just hitting where it aint

I'm starting to think that the launch angle and three true outcome revolutions are like the prisoner's dilemma. You are increasing the productivity of your own at bats at the expense of your teammates. Once everyone does it, your own increased productivity will be negated by the reduction you get from everyone else doing it and you are back to square one with a less exciting and dynamic product for fans.

5 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Also, I think the only reason why shifting even works is that hitters ignore them. It seems as though there is no real game plan. Like hitters have the same mindset regardless of the situation. Being too predictable makes you easy to exploit.

Just now, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Eno is great. He alone is worth an Athletic sub.

Literally the reason I jumped over there. Soon as he left Fangraphs and said he was writing for The Athletic, I said "alright $60 a year, leggo." lol

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 1:22 PM, FishFan95 said:

Also, I think the only reason why shifting even works is that hitters ignore them. It seems as though there is no real game plan. Like hitters have the same mindset regardless of the situation. Being too predictable makes you easy to exploit.

with some of the extreme shifts, you really wonder what a player from the 80's and earlier would think if he saw an entire defensive lineup shifted to nearly the second base bag over leaving literally nobody but the left fielder out there.  THAT drives me insane because players also no longer know how to bunt.  That should be a no-brainer at that point as to what to do.  Some of the shifts are just so extreme it's mind boggling that the guys on the receiving end of those shifts don't work on some basic skills like bunting to take advantage and force the other team to adjust.

i really enjoy watching guys work their way around the bases by beating out an infield hit and swiping a bag to get into scoring position.  Those days of JP and Luis at the top of the lineup were fun to watch man. the station to station stuff is boring. I'm sure at some point the current tactic of waiting for the big dong will end too and hopefully it reverts back a bit to more of a hybrid offense, which in my opinion, was a bit more entertaining - and can we PLEASE get rid of the runner at 2nd in extras rule already?!  (or at least postpone doing that until the game reaches the 12th or something)

38 minutes ago, hovertical said:

with some of the extreme shifts, you really wonder what a player from the 80's and earlier would think if he saw an entire defensive lineup shifted to nearly the second base bag over leaving literally nobody but the left fielder out there.  THAT drives me insane because players also no longer know how to bunt.  That should be a no-brainer at that point as to what to do.  Some of the shifts are just so extreme it's mind boggling that the guys on the receiving end of those shifts don't work on some basic skills like bunting to take advantage and force the other team to adjust.

i really enjoy watching guys work their way around the bases by beating out an infield hit and swiping a bag to get into scoring position.  Those days of JP and Luis at the top of the lineup were fun to watch man. the station to station stuff is boring. I'm sure at some point the current tactic of waiting for the big dong will end too and hopefully it reverts back a bit to more of a hybrid offense, which in my opinion, was a bit more entertaining - and can we PLEASE get rid of the runner at 2nd in extras rule already?!  (or at least postpone doing that until the game reaches the 12th or something)

Postpone extra runner til 13th (not 12th) would be a good idea, give the batters all one more shot at winning it regularly.

If batters adjusted and went against the shifts, we'd have no odd shifts anymore. And that'd probably be OK!

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I get what you're saying, and I agree with much of it, but I think it gets some things in the wrong direction. Take for instance beer league softball or high school baseball -- why aren't they shifting there? Why are infield hits and (in HS baseball) stolen bases a bigger deal? I think it's two things: 1) lower velocities / fewer breaking balls and 2) worse defenders.

In slow pitch softball, shifting is useless because guys can easily take the ball the other way. Same was true in the 1980s when starters were averaging 88 mph on their heaters. And in high school, the pitchers aren't throwing 98 with a 60% curveball rate. It's hard as hell to bunt a breaking ball, but MLB pitchers are throwing them more than ever.

Plus amateur shortstops and catchers don't have the hands or arms to make the hardest 10% to 20% of plays that MLB players do, thus more SB and more infield hits.

It's hard to bunt just like it's hard to hit and keep hitting, and if teaching, say, Freddie Freeman to bunt reduces his ability to hit dingers and take walks, well then learning to bunt will have actually made him a more well-rounded but worse player.

I guess what I'm saying is that the problem isn't the hitters. They're still playing catch-up to the pitching revolution of the last two decades. Aw shucks, did I just convince myself they need to move back the mound? Someone please put me down.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Postpone extra runner til 13th (not 12th) would be a good idea, give the batters all one more shot at winning it regularly.

If batters adjusted and went against the shifts, we'd have no odd shifts anymore. And that'd probably be OK!

lol why the 13th instead of the 12th?  i'm guessing it's just to give a full turn through the lineup? is that all that was or are you just superstitious? 

42 minutes ago, hovertical said:

lol why the 13th instead of the 12th?  i'm guessing it's just to give a full turn through the lineup? is that all that was or are you just superstitious? 

That's all it was - guaranteed full turn through the lineups.

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.