Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Sandy Alcantara Named Marlins All-Star Rep

33 minutes ago, Vic D said:

Yeah I was very tough on him, I'm way too reactionary sometimes for sure! I just know he can be great, and we're starting to see that I believe. Very comfy with him and Smith going into next season as our top 2 arms. But I think I'm even more excited to see who the last 3 will be to round out the rotation. Yams, Pablo, Dugger, Hernandez along with all the minor league guys šŸ˜

I have my worries about Caleb, especially when it comes to giving up the longball, but if they're mainly solo shots that's fine.

Next couple years will be fun!

Last night's loss got me thinking, is there a way to see what our record would be if we averaged like 2 more runs per game this year? Is that something that can be calculated?

Because obviously what I'm thinking is that since our pitching is ahead of our hitting then maybe with the right additions of bats we could be a significantly better team.Ā 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Last night's loss got me thinking, is there a way to see what our record would be if we averaged like 2 more runs per game this year? Is that something that can be calculated?

Well, the Marlins have lost 6 extra inning games andĀ 20 1-run games in regulation. They also have 8 9-inning loses by 2 runs. So assuming they scored exactly 2 more runs each game, they would have the chance to win 26Ā more games. The 2-run games would still be lost since they would eventually lose in extras since they can't score a 3rd run. As for the others it is possible that they score 1 extra run in regulation and score the 2nd in extras, after giving up like 8 runs. Similar scenarios could be envisioned in the extra inning loses.

So the Marlins would at this point in time be somewhere between 51 andĀ 77 loses. My guess it that it would be somewhere closer to the upper portion.

As for run differential it would also be complicated since 2 extra runs in the alternate history would lead to extra inning runs happening or not happening. For the sake of simplicity, I will assume they would still give up the 729 but score an extra 294 for the 2 runs per game. That would give them 840 runs for a run differential of +111. They would probably be holding the 1st or 2nd wold card in the NL this year.

For the record, I think that the pitching will definitely improve so they don't even need 2 more runs per game.

46 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Well, the Marlins have lost 6 extra inning games andĀ 20 1-run games in regulation. They also have 8 9-inning loses by 2 runs. So assuming they scored exactly 2 more runs each game, they would have the chance to win 26Ā more games. The 2-run games would still be lost since they would eventually lose in extras since they can't score a 3rd run. As for the others it is possible that they score 1 extra run in regulation and score the 2nd in extras, after giving up like 8 runs. Similar scenarios could be envisioned in the extra inning loses.

So the Marlins would at this point in time be somewhere between 51 andĀ 77 loses. My guess it that it would be somewhere closer to the upper portion.

As for run differential it would also be complicated since 2 extra runs in the alternate history would lead to extra inning runs happening or not happening. For the sake of simplicity, I will assume they would still give up the 729 but score an extra 294 for the 2 runs per game. That would give them 840 runs for a run differential of +111. They would probably be holding the 1st or 2nd wold card in the NL this year.

For the record, I think that the pitching will definitely improve so they don't even need 2 more runs per game.

Thanks. Yeah I know it's not as simple as I made it sound but was just thinking in general that being even just a little better offensively makes this team so much better.Ā 

3 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

I think it's important to keep in perspective how big 2 runs per game is. That's the gulf between the Marlins (3.73 runs per game, last in MLB) and the Nationals (5.36 runs per game, 6th best in baseball). Consider where those runs come from -- Soto, Rendon, Eaton, Turner, Kendrick. That's a lot of hitters in the lineup who can produce, and two of those guys (Soto and Rendon) are in a different universe.

The Marlins could in theory sign Rendon (though I struggle to see how Rendon turns down offers, even for less money, to play on more competitive teams; he's just going to be an enormously hot ticket), but they'd also need a few of their high-ceiling hittersĀ (Brinson, Alfaro, Diaz, Sanchez, Jazz) to click and click early in order to get the season R/Game up 1 run, much less 2. (Park factors also play a role in this too, but it sounds like the Marlins are going to do something about that this offseason, but since that moves the RA/Game as much as it moves the R/Game number, it's moot in this conversation.)

So I think a 1-run improvement is reasonable to expect (swap Rendon with a lesser, butĀ decent FA slugger and assume one of the 5 high-ceiling guys clicks), but as you note, a 1-run improvement might be enough given the current state of pitching depth. Things are looking a bit more exciting in 2020.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

maybe with the right additions of bats we could be a significantly better team.Ā 

The concept of "two batters away from winning" ?

• Laugh 2

29 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Haha yeah I guess so, but the two batters seem like something we are able to get as opposed to the two top pitchers we needed back then.Ā 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

2 batters away... only if the farm also pans out.

When they were "2 pitchers away," they had no farm so it was more like 6 pitchers away.

• Like 2

Letā€™s also not forget how weā€™ve had some shitty pitching out of the bullpen for some stretches this season (Chen and stanek for example). So a one run a game improvement and a slightly better pen would make us a middle of the pack team.Ā 

• Like 3