5/11 Postgame Thread

rmc523

I turned it off after we went down by 3, but it felt like we lost after going down 1 with that homer.

Offense needs to get going yesterday.  It's ridiculous.  They don't need 8 runs a night, just 3-4 while the game is still competitive not at the end when you're already out of it.

It's already not the issue of players and manager, it's the issue of the front office. The front office takes the responsibility for the roster, just don't tell me this season doesn't matter, it's just the excuse of the loser. 

6 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

It's already not the issue of players and manager, it's the issue of the front office. The front office takes the responsibility for the roster, just don't tell me this season doesn't matter, it's just the excuse of the loser. 

I normally disagree with your doom and gloom but I'm agreeing with this one in the sense that it feels like this team could be so much better with just a few smart moves here and there yet they're just sitting on their hands waiting for Marte, Jazz, Sixto, and Elieser to be ready. With the way the rest of the division is playing it feels like now would be the time to take advantage and steal a few wins even before those guys get back.

• Like 3

More proof on the stupidity of using run differential as a be all end all. We're in last place and are the only team in the division with a positive run differential while last year we made the playoffs with a negative run differential. It's like if this is now happening solely to prove how silly everyone was when complaining about run differential last year.

Love to watch the team claw back into a game only to have Donnie leave the team's worst reliever out as sacrifice the very next inning while the game gets thoroughly out of hand. Granted, that's partly the FO's fault for forcing two bullpen games every turn of the rotation. Tanner Roark and Anibal Sanchez aren't good. But they're good enough to eat innings and make a few starts until Elieser and Sixto come back. There's no reason they shouldn't be Marlins right now (unless they just straight up didn't want to be).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I normally disagree with your doom and gloom but I'm agreeing with this one in the sense that it feels like this team could be so much better with just a few smart moves here and there yet they're just sitting on their hands waiting for Marte, Jazz, Sixto, and Elieser to be ready. With the way the rest of the division is playing it feels like now would be the time to take advantage and steal a few wins even before those guys get back.

Also, you have to take into account they're wasting valuable cheap years from the young pitchers that are playing well and have honestly kept us afloat. I understand the value of prospects as much as anyone but waiting and waiting for them to get a call up or to meet their potential only hurts the ones who are performing. Im still irked to not have gotten JT back considering what he signed for unless he absolutely refused to come here. Same with not having at least one back end rotation vet. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

I really dont understand the bullpen game idea. I find it ridiculous unless you are in a real bind. 

Yeah, it's just ridiculous that they don't trust in any internal SP options but also not willing to explore the external SP options (cheap Sherman ?) and just taking risks to wear out the pen.

Edited by taiwanmarlin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree and you had me thinking that competition is a big problem.  The players here seem very supportive of each other with a family bond, which is great, but they aren’t getting pushed with serious competition.  The scoring pattern is so dimensionally inconsistent  that it feels like a mindset issue that relies on the other person first, before individual itself.  That in turn causes inconsistency and laziness.  Maybe this team understands that they won’t get pushed until later making them less assertive, IDK but they need a good kick in the pants.

Flipping  the lineup order isn’t going to put a fire under them.  Some of them need to be made an example of.  Cooper can be sent down, I don’t care who replaces him, just send a message.  

21 minutes ago, FishFry said:

I agree and you had me thinking that competition is a big problem.  The players here seem very supportive of each other with a family bond, which is great, but they aren’t getting pushed with serious competition.  The scoring pattern is so dimensionally inconsistent  that it feels like a mindset issue that relies on the other person first, before individual itself.  That in turn causes inconsistency and laziness.  Maybe this team understands that they won’t get pushed until later making them less assertive, IDK but they need a good kick in the pants.

Flipping  the lineup order isn’t going to put a fire under them.  Some of them need to be made an example of.  Cooper can be sent down, I don’t care who replaces him, just send a message.  

Pretty much agreed on all points.

I can B&M all day about the lineup construction but the whole offense is slumping right now and it sucks.

Like you said, no competition among the bats. They all, for some reason, feel very safe about their role on the team. The pitchers? Competing. That's why we're at least IN every game. Need something on the offensive side and soon. I'm glad some of the boys in AAA are lighting it up early. Put some pressure on the guys up here.

Anderson is way inside his own head right now and he's going to boil over soon. You can see it after his strikeouts, getting more and more visibly angry.

• Like 1

i honestly wouldn't be against BA being sent down for a week or so to just chill and try to right things where his stats don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.  Do I think he'd take it well? OH HELL NO.  I'd hope he'd be a pro though and not make some idiotic "mad monte" post.  I know, some of you still think his peripheral stats show he's just had awful luck this season but he is clearly beyond frustrated and although he's always been a streaky hitter - him and Cooper both are so far inside their own heads at this point their ab's look just awful. 

Cooper 100% needs to be sent down for now.  I doubt his replacement will fare much worse and will likely provide a boost defensively. 

Sending BA down though would put a serious message out to the team though that they're not effing around.  I believe someone said we still have all of BA's options left too, right?

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Sending BA down though would put a serious message out to the team though that they're not effing around.  I believe someone said we still have all of BA's options left too, right?

Yep, three options left.

43 minutes ago, Michael said:

image.png.47686ae720968c59ea8c2c737838d953.png

Thoughts, friends?

"That Kid" = Madero, of course.

Kinda true that Madero was Yamoed.  Not trying to sound negative but this organization is taking two steps back with every forward step.  They are trying to fix one problem (rotation) just to brake another (bullpen).  It’s incredibly frustrating that all the pressure falls on the pitching staff while the lineup is getting the free pass.  Psychologically, that problem is going to filter too the pitchers and the bottom could completely drop out. 

The chain of command should be in question based on their methods.  Not going with a 4th or 5th day starter to absorb INNINGS, while protecting the bullpen for open starts, only exposes the bullpen further with limited options based on matchups. 

Its becoming a circus, not trying to be negative but this team has talent that is underperforming on one side of the ball.     @hovertical is right, they need to send a message.  Maybe bring in some replacements outside of the farm. But whatever you do you do it to make a point.  Right now the players have all the leverage IMO  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.