Jump to content

Raspberry Pi Projects?


hovertical
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pi, not pie.

Anyone else do any of the zillion and one projects out there with a Raspberry Pi?

Some of them are pretty nifty and low cost overall.  Built a tidy little NAS to house files and whatnot and provide remote access to friends if they wanted to share a large video file, etc. 

Even better, if any of you are interested, is the Pi Hole - it blocks ads on your PC (unlike ad-blocking software which only block the ads from displaying but still allow them to suck your bandwidth).  The Pi Hole also only uses the Pi Zero and you can knock the entire project out for less than $50. It removes all advertising on this site = )

Just curious if there are any other Pi fans on here who have done some of the more exotic projects available.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I built one for a RetroPie system. All the old video games I could ever want to play in one place.

Nifty. I've considered the same. They have a pretty sweet Gameboy kit to make it portable out there on Amazon too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

man raspberry seems to have the graphical knowledge I grew up with and all.  

I dig this.

I'm ordering one  (or a couple) and setting up a retro gaming system.

We will see what other fun i can find with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Das Texan said:

man raspberry seems to have the graphical knowledge I grew up with and all.  

I dig this.

I'm ordering one  (or a couple) and setting up a retro gaming system.

We will see what other fun i can find with this.

Take a look at the retroflag nes pi cases and kits too if you really want to go the distance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

That's the kit I bought for my retropie setup

Not sure which one you have but some even use a separate game cartridge that houses the ssd that you literally plug into the case like you would a cartridge. Delicious stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Not sure which one you have but some even use a separate game cartridge that houses the ssd that you literally plug into the case like you would a cartridge. Delicious stuff.

I don’t have that one but sounds awesome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

A few days ago my wife brought home a blueberry pie. I literally can't remember the last time I had a blueberry pie, to the point that I'm seriously doubting if I've ever even had one ever in my life. Later that day I anxiously cut a hearty slice from that blueberry pie only to shockingly realize that it was not a blueberry pie. It was a guava pie with a blueberry pie label mistakenly put on the packaging. The guava was nice but I have yet to recover from this trauma. My mind still craves the blueberry pie, I will let you know if I ever find this holy grail. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Setting up a pi-hole today, liking what I see already.

 

fair warning on this. it does take some getting used to and occasionally you will have issues with certain common streaming services. We were unable to access Hulu and even Prime at one point until I sat on the query tab and tried logging into see which requests i needed to add to the whitelist.  You will also sometimes find that you're unable to order food from apps if your phone is set to connect to wifi (you can bypass it real quick by dropping the wifi on your phone and using your data though).  Ours has been pretty solid but it did have some random rough sledding on and off the first month (zero issues with the streaming services since then though).

 

Some of the food apps that wouldn't work were chick-fil-a, Sonic, and Crumbl. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

A few days ago my wife brought home a blueberry pie. I literally can't remember the last time I had a blueberry pie, to the point that I'm seriously doubting if I've ever even had one ever in my life. Later that day I anxiously cut a hearty slice from that blueberry pie only to shockingly realize that it was not a blueberry pie. It was a guava pie with a blueberry pie label mistakenly put on the packaging. The guava was nice but I have yet to recover from this trauma. My mind still craves the blueberry pie, I will let you know if I ever find this holy grail. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. 

I've had blueberry pie on a few occasions and i find it's usually pretty bland overall - probably because a lot of blueberries are bland by the time you buy them in stores or canned as a ready made filling.  on the RARE occasion though - the stars will align and you'll find a delectable blueberry pie.  On a side note, if you're into blueberries - try some blueberry honey from Maine.  The bees pollinate blueberry bushes primarily and so the honey picks up blueberry notes to go along with it.  Good stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I've had blueberry pie on a few occasions and i find it's usually pretty bland overall - probably because a lot of blueberries are bland by the time you buy them in stores or canned as a ready made filling.

Yea I agree with this 100%. It's hard to find blueberries that actually have a real strong blueberry taste, or maybe better said that they actually taste like what you expect a blueberry to taste like. 

You'll get more blueberry taste in something blueberry flavored like a yogurt than in actual blueberries.

My anticipation for that pie was more of a hope that it would that taste and I never got to find out. But I'm not even joking about how my mind was flipped because I was preparing myself for one food and never got it. Seriously gonna make my wife get a real blueberry pie on the next grocery store run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea I agree with this 100%. It's hard to find blueberries that actually have a real strong blueberry taste, or maybe better said that they actually taste like what you expect a blueberry to taste like. 

You'll get more blueberry taste in something blueberry flavored like a yogurt than in actual blueberries.

My anticipation for that pie was more of a hope that it would that taste and I never got to find out. But I'm not even joking about how my mind was flipped because I was preparing myself for one food and never got it. Seriously gonna make my wife get a real blueberry pie on the next grocery store run.

Btw, Guava, to me, tastes very similar to the classic strawberry-rhubarb flavor combo. I mean that in a very good way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...