Marlins New City Connect Jersey: 👍 or 👎?

Don't even ask me! Lol 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

I was one of the few to not be thrilled with the City Connect jerseys but it's because I immediately saw three things I would change that I think would really elevate the entire set.

I think these jerseys started as Sugar Kings tributes but then they went just a few steps too far away from the concept and just missed the mark. Sharpen these things up and you'd have great uniforms that still pay homage to the Sugar Kings. As it is now it's too loose of a connection to the Kings for my liking. 

First off is definitely the pinstripes. They need to go. Pinstripes look ridiculous on a colored jersey. 

The jerseys are based on these:

Havana-Sugar-Kings-1959-Home-Front_600x.jpg.d28d320058ba5d7e16dd42f778e9e987.jpg

But they would be better if they were based on these:

sugarkings.jpg.6f6fc89d35d6b900e2c864365c30575f.jpg

Remove the pinstripes and instead use that thick head spoon piping and that nice double stripe sleeve piping in the light blue color and you would have a winner.

And then the wordmark on the CC jersey is just way too big. It's cartoonishly oversized. And when you look at the Sugar Kings wordmark you can see a clear difference between the upper and lowercase letters. I'd decrease the height of the wordmark just a bit and definitely make the lowercase letters smaller. Right now all the letters are about the same size. It's almost like a Space Jam style cartoonish uniform. 

Lastly I'd just make the cap all blue. I think a two tone cap doesn't look good when both colors are so bright. Two tone caps look best with at least one darker color and with the crown in the darker color, like Atlanta and Oakland's caps. If you're gonna go bright it would be best to just use one color. Plus the uniform already has enough red that the bill of the cap doesn't need to be red. I could see the two tone cap as a fashion option but for the on field look an all blue cap would look better.

Just what we need in sports. Another red jersey. That kinda sums up my thoughts. My wife is at least on the same page as she walked into the office this morning and literally said, "Did you see the shit show yet?" And held up a pic of the alt uni. Red, white, and blue jersey set? Yeah not a fan.

9 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

After taking some time, I don’t hate it but don’t love it. Like that it is semi still our own colors and not like Boston’s. Not necessarily a fan of the pinstripes. 

I kinda like the pinstripes, but I respect your opinion. I think at the very least they are certainly outside the box. To me It’s not some cookie cutter jersey, it’s something unique. Silver Bullet made great points though that the Marlins could have designed it in a way where it paid more tribute to the Sugar Kings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

To me It’s not some cookie cutter jersey, it’s something unique.

I think this is the big takeaway here. It's not that the uniforms are perfect, it's that people like how bold and unique it is and it shows that people are craving that for the Marlins. For now this is is just a cash grab promotional uniform but if they use elements of this to upgrade the regular uniform rotation they could really have a hit on the way.

• Like 1

Also, and this is coming from a Cuban, Miami isn’t Cuba and has a shit load of other nationalities that make it up. I don’t enjoy the pandering to “the community” like Nike understands it. For gods sake the marlins don’t even have a single Cuban player on the team, how does a Cuban team from the 50’s represent this city? NO ONE that isn’t a huge baseball fan even understands the reference or even cares. Might not be a popular opinion but I’m just annoyed already with the perspective of Miami being Cuban sandwiches and beaches. They’d have been better off basing the uniforms on stray cats, traffic, and Food stamps. It would have been a more accurate “connection”...

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

They gotta stop letting these kids in the marketing department design uniforms. Between this one, the Red Sox one, and the horrendous multi-color players week jerseys it’s getting to be a joke. This is a baseball uniform, not a Wynwood wall.

In all fairness to the multi color players jersey, I would rather have them than the completely solid white or black ones they did. Seemed like a backhanded thing considering they looks like chess pieces which is all Manfred thinks about the players

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I think this is the big takeaway here. It's not that the uniforms are perfect, it's that people like how bold and unique it is and it shows that people are craving that for the Marlins. For now this is is just a cash grab promotional uniform but if they use elements of this to upgrade the regular uniform rotation they could really have a hit on the way.

We did big and bold in 2012 and it was pretty much hated. Didn’t help that they relegated the best part of it, the Orange hat and white jerseys to two or three appearances during the entire life time and it wasn’t very good in the first place

I know your on the Creamer boards a lot. Those jackass don’t know what they want. I haven’t read the reactions yet on this but normally I’d You do something bold they throw out it’s too wild. You do something more traditional, it’s too boring or your trying to steal traditional teams looks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AeroFishOne said:

We did big and bold in 2012 and it was pretty much hated. Didn’t help that they relegated the best part of it, the Orange hat and white jerseys to two or three appearances during the entire life time and it wasn’t very good in the first place

I know your on the Creamer boards a lot. Those jackass don’t know what they want. I haven’t read the reactions yet on this but normally I’d You do something bold they throw out it’s too wild. You do something more traditional, it’s too boring or your trying to steal traditional teams looks.

Yep you and I are on the same page with this one.

On Creamers they're loving these because "this is what a Miami team is supposed to look like" so they like that it's loud and bold. 

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yep you and I are on the same page with this one.

On Creamers they're loving these because "this is what a Miami team is supposed to look like" so they like that it's loud and bold. 

What is Creamers, is that a coffee related forum? And if it is, I wonder if @SonOfJack is there as well, because I thought he just drinks his coffee with milk and no sugar or cream.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

What is Creamers, is that a coffee related forum? And if it is, I wonder if @SonOfJack is there as well, because I thought he just drinks his coffee with milk and no sugar or cream.

lol, a forum that discusses sports uniforms and logos. As an artist, I'm fascinated by the discussion of these things but that forum is a bit notorious for having some really stubborn members.