5/21 Post Game Thread

Just now, Das Texan said:

they should have pushed harder for Contreras.  Probably will be available and is available still, tbh. 

Keeping Sanchez in AAA, not going for a catcher, and probably more things I am forgetting. Someone is asleep at the wheel and has been for awhile. Is it Jeter? Is it Ng? Is it someone else? 

59 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Keeping Sanchez in AAA, not going for a catcher, and probably more things I am forgetting. Someone is asleep at the wheel and has been for awhile. Is it Jeter? Is it Ng? Is it someone else? 

Yeah some of the moves - or should I say lack of moves - for "easy" upgrades are baffling.

In most cases, from business & in sports, I believe it all starts from the top.  They are responsible for the tone and identity of the product that they represent.  With them, complacency  should be in question, from the continuous green light that is given to Mattingly.  For the record, I’m not saying management has turned a blind eye or they don’t care.  Perhaps more than anything, they where beguiled (rightfully so) last year’s success. 

Here are some symptoms that bare the marks of a manager who has no grasp in the situation he is under right now.

• Random steal attempts from the most unlikely. (no identity)

• Swinging on 3-0 counts that aren’t even strikes. (no identity)

• Alarming strike outs rates. (Individualism)

• Poor management in key situations time and time again. (extra innings)

= No identity, no consistency. 

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

All of the above? I don't think Jeter is stupid (well in baseball anyway). If he and Sherman wanted Ang to go after someone via FA or trade they would just say "hey, go get JT or Contreras, etc". I know we joke about cheap Jeter but I think this past off-season may have shined a brighter light on the fact that yes, they are cheap too and won't spend money on FA's either. It's not like we had a stud catching prospect and neither Alfaro or Wallach has shown much so not going hard after JT or Contreras reeks of frugality (also wonder what the Sox had wanted for Yermin since that was also a rumor). They literally have zero excuse for completely ignoring that in the offseason - in particular because they been blowing their vuvuzela over how great their young staff is and a catcher helps with that too! I think they were blindsided by their unexpected success last season and may have gotten caught with their pants down this past off-season with not being able to use the rebuilding excuse as easily. This team is close again to competing but it's up to the owners to actually get it there by not just resting on their laurels.

Team showed a lot of heart last night, even if the offense never came through in the tough spots. It felt like just at the times when we least needed a strikeout it's when they happened and would collapse the chances in the late innings. 

Loved hearing Tommy back in the booth. Absolute treasure that man.

Fuck the Mets and their fans filling the park, so annoying. I thank them for spending their money in this park though.