Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Marlins Instagram strikes again

13 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I am sure there have been questionable All-Stars in the past due to the rule, it is funny how it now becomes controversial due to it being the Marlins.

I like the rule. It is an exhibition game. Every team should be represented. 

In 2010 Derek Jeter was an all star with a first half wRC+ under 100. Granted this was due to his being elected by the fans to start which is another problem entirely.  But it does highlight the bigger idea that this is an exhibition for fans.  Certainly players are honored and all that but I think we are at a point where we all understand what being an all star means and doesn’t mean.  We can save the gnashing of teeth over gold glove/silver slugger awards etc

14 hours ago, DTrain said:

Lol Win/Loss record c’mon, Erick.  You’re better than that. 

Three teams have a worse Run Differential than the Marlins (two of them substantially worse).  We deserved a representative.  They chose the wrong one in my opinion but every team should have one player (at least).  

Fair enough, I think it should’ve been Caleb Smith. Win/loss record aside, nothing about Sandy’s numbers stand out as being an All-Star. And I like Sandy, but just saying. 3.82 ERA, 1.4 WHIP, poor K/BB rate, etc.

Also, 2 teams being worse than us has nothing to do with it.

The Orioles absolutely stink, but John Means was a worthy selection. 

The Marlins didn’t really have an individual player with numbers that stood out. 

I don't think there's anyone who has a real baseball reason why Sandy should have been our All Star especially over Caleb. 

13 hours ago, Michael said:

Remember in 2012 when we technically had no representatives because Stanton got hurt and they replaced him with Harper? Nobody seemed to care about that.

I honestly think that's when I stopped watching the All Star game (I watched the home run derby in '16 and '17 with Stanton but not since)

I remember Prado had a better stat line that year (at that point) too, and could've easily been our representative so we had someone there.  But Harper was the big story so they put him in.

14 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I honestly think that's when I stopped watching the All Star game (I watched the home run derby in '16 and '17 with Stanton but not since)

I remember Prado had a better stat line that year (at that point) too, and could've easily been our representative so we had someone there.  But Harper was the big story so they put him in.

Would have been really hard for Prado to be our representative in 2012 considering he was on the Braves that season. 

Regarding Stanton 2012 I don't think an injured All Star needs to be replaced by someone from the same team. That would be silly and would take away from someone more deserving.

Remember that most injured All Stars still appear at the game in the introductions. 

In 2012 it's not that we didn't have a representative that year, Stanton was still an All Star it's just that he had knee surgery so he wasn't able to travel to the game so we weren't physically represented but we did have an All Star in 2012.

That year I was bugged that we had a new ballpark and new uniforms yet in the ASG it's like the Marlins were nonexistent but looking back it was a simple foreshadowing for our time as the Miami Marlins under Loria... nonexistent and irrelevant. 

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Would have been really hard for Prado to be our representative in 2012 considering he was on the Braves that season. 

He may have meant Infante.