New Era unveils "Local Market Hats"; immediately pulls them amid backlash

29 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

So apparently Atlanta is known for UFOs and having more area codes than division titles.

Yeah, what’s the deal with those ATL and Chicago area codes. Chances are whoever designed those were probably from ATL and Chicago and wanted to put every single area code in a 100 mile radius of Truist and Wrigley field.

And the Marlins only got 2 area codes, they should have put the 954 on the Marlins hat as I would estimate that at least 40% of Marlins fan are from Broward county.

I mean that seriously, at least 40 out of the 100 fans that Marlins have are from Broward. Or to be more specific, at least 6.4 out of the 16 Marlins fans are from the 954.

31 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

And the Marlins only got 2 area codes, they should have put the 954 on the Marlins hat as I would estimate that at least 40% of Marlins fan are from Broward county.

I mean that seriously, at least 40 out of the 100 fans that Marlins have are from Broward. Or to be more specific, at least 6.4 out of the 16 Marlins fans are from the 954.

Hate to defend the hats but they represent the region that the team represents, not where their fans are from... so for the Marlins it's Dade county, not Broward. If we're gonna go by where their fans are located then the Yankees hat is gonna have every major area code in the country.

31 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Hate to defend the hats but they represent the region that the team represents, not where their fans are from... so for the Marlins it's Dade county, not Broward. If we're gonna go by where their fans are located then the Yankees hat is gonna have every major area code in the country.

I understand where you are coming from, and I understand your point of view, and I mean this with all respect but for the purposes of what I said, you are wrong.

Case in point:

Atlanta hat

image.png.a3db6e0e86e49f2a6459d5a142fef1d1.png

Georgia Area Codes:

image.thumb.png.5da1326149b8064b82361b8e32036276.png

They literally put every single area code in the State of Georgia on the Braves hat. According to your logic, they should have just put the metro Atlanta area codes on the hat.

You cannot say that Braves fans in Savannah, GA, 260 miles away from Truist park can have the 912 Area Code on the Braves hat but a Marlins fan in Hollywood, FL 20 miles away from Marlins park shouldn’t have 954 on the hat.

And I understand that there are two teams in Florida so of course they cannot put all the area codes in Florida on the hat. But even going by your reasoning of the hats representing the regions the team represents, I could make the argument that South Florida itself is a region if the Braves hat includes every single Area Code in the whole State of Georgia, the Marlins hat should include Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and even Palm Beach area codes.

Let the arguments/discussions begin!

😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

I understand where you are coming from, and I understand your point of view, and I mean this with all respect but for the purposes of what I said, you are wrong.

Case in point:

Atlanta hat

image.png.a3db6e0e86e49f2a6459d5a142fef1d1.png

Georgia Area Codes:

image.thumb.png.5da1326149b8064b82361b8e32036276.png

They literally put every single area code in the State of Georgia on the Braves hat. According to your logic, they should have just put the metro Atlanta area codes on the hat.

You cannot say that Braves fans in Savannah, GA, 260 miles away from Truist park can have the 912 Area Code on the Braves hat but a Marlins fan in Hollywood, FL 20 miles away from Marlins park shouldn’t have 954 on the hat.

And I understand that there are two teams in Florida so of course they cannot put all the area codes in Florida on the hat. But even going by your reasoning of the hats representing the regions the team represents, I could make the argument that South Florida itself is a region if the Braves hat includes every single Area Code in the whole State of Georgia, the Marlins hat should include Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and even Palm Beach area codes.

Let the arguments/discussions begin!

😂

I get ya... I'm not married to this debate so I have no problem being wrong. My thought was since they're now specifically the Miami Marlins they wouldn't include 954 but I guess the Atlanta argument proves me wrong there..

I've seen in the past maps that show each team's supposed territory, maybe that comes into play here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I get ya... I'm not married to this debate so I have no problem being wrong. My thought was since they're now specifically the Miami Marlins they wouldn't include 954 but I guess the Atlanta argument proves me wrong there..

I've seen in the past maps that show each team's supposed territory, maybe that comes into play here.

😂

Keep in mind my post was written pretty tongue in cheek like most of my posts on here. I actually was playing up a bit my arguing with you, kind of like a mini joke, since there was a previous argument about Houston and Florida on here. I was just playing along with the debate ambiance in this thread.

And since these hats won’t be released none of this discussion really matters anyway. 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

you don't consider Broward part of the "region" the team represents?

The Marlins are South Florida's team (despite the team's ATL - All Things Latin approach to advertising)- if anything, they should've included Dade, Broward, AND Palm Beach.

Edited by rmc523

42 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

you don't consider Broward part of the "region" the team represents?

The Marlins are South Florida's team (despite the team's ATL - All Things Latin approach to advertising)- if anything, they should've included Dade, Broward, AND Palm Beach.

Yes I know that, but when they became the Miami Marlins in 2012, didn't that basically downgrade how much coverage they had? I know this is all BS but if we're going this route, Broward isn't part of Miami is it? Neither is Palm Beach. That's what I as going with. Miami = 305 and 786, not 954.

18 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yes I know that, but when they became the Miami Marlins in 2012, didn't that basically downgrade how much coverage they had? I know this is all BS but if we're going this route, Broward isn't part of Miami is it? Neither is Palm Beach. That's what I as going with. Miami = 305 and 786, not 954.

The name may have changed, but no.  It's not like Broward people just don't watch/support anymore (though I'd agree they're less likely to go because of the distance, especially Palm Beachers).

And revert to the earlier thing "Atlanta" isn't all of Georgia.

Either way, they're stupid hats that don't make much sense, so it doesn't really matter lol.

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Either way, they're stupid hats that don't make much sense, so it doesn't really matter lol.

Agree but we're doing this so...

Obviously the fans outside of Miami are still watching the team but in the eyes of New Era designing this they're gonna go with what equals Miami and Broward and Palm Beach aren't Miami.

For the Braves they're the only team in Georgia so they'll get more coverage in their region beyond just Atlanta.

If we're trying to be really accurate for the Marlins region yes we include Miami, Broward, and Palm Beach... but for what these hats were supposed to be I can see why it's Miami only.