Sign in to follow this  
cyoung

Experimental Rule Change - Stealing First Base

This is almost already a thing and virtually no one ever actually makes it to first so this would just actually lead to more outs if anyone actually tried it anyways, and now that I think about it who would ever really try it? 

If you're thrown out at first, do you forfeit your plate appearance?

Is it a force out at first?

It's illogical to even try this if you're not the fastest guy and if the ball doesn't literally bounce 100 feet away... because if u don't run the pitch would be a ball and you'd just get another chance for an actual hit so why would anyone give up the chance for a base hit just to most likely get thrown out on the way to first? You'd probably even just get fans and even teammates and coaches mad at you for even trying it. It's a lose lose situation all around. 

47 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

It's illogical to even try this if you're not the fastest guy and if the ball doesn't literally bounce 100 feet away... because if u don't run the pitch would be a ball and you'd just get another chance for an actual hit so why would anyone give up the chance for a base hit just to most likely get thrown out on the way to first? You'd probably even just get fans and even teammates and coaches mad at you for even trying it. It's a lose lose situation all around. 

This should help. lol

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

It's not unreasonable to thing that anybody could steal first on a 57' breaking ball, which usually winds up a the backstop.This isn't something that is going to happen on your standard ball in the dirt.

As a former catcher, I don't like it because when there's not a runner on base, that's when you relax a little bit.  You have a completely different stance when a runner is on, or if there's two strikes, than you do when there isn't.  It will be much more physically demanding, for what is already considered one of the most physically demanding positions in sports.

Another thing - every change we've seen so far has geared toward pace of play.  I fail to see how this speeds up the game.  If anything, it slows it down.  I'd much rather make the pitcher the 4 pitches on and IBB (rather than "save time"), and leave the current pass ball rules as they are.  You're subtracting time from one, but adding to the other.  There doesn't seem to be a method to the madness - the just continue to attempt to fix something that isn't broken.

I don't like change for the sake of change.

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This is almost already a thing and virtually no one ever actually makes it to first so this would just actually lead to more outs if anyone actually tried it anyways, and now that I think about it who would ever really try it? 

There's a difference between a dropped third strike, and a wild pitch.  Every ball to the backstop could essentially put an additional runner on base, rather than just allowing current runners to advance.

If the #'s are right, we currently have 43 wild pitches on the season.  That doesn't include E2's, though that's a broad stat.