Starling Back; Rojas IL; Lewin Optioned

Michael

Obviously they're not trying to not win but they're definitely being too cautious with their fear of not screwing up their longterm plan. They're probably so scared to do a "Paddack for Rodney" type of trade but come on there's plenty of ways to improve the team without sabotaging the entire organization. It's like if they think the moves have to be all or nothing moves and they don't. This is especially frustrating when we can all see a couple simple moves they can make like now.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Obviously they're not trying to not win but they're definitely being too cautious with their fear of not screwing up their longterm plan. They're probably so scared to do a "Paddack for Rodney" type of trade but come on there's plenty of ways to improve the team without sabotaging the entire organization. It's like if they think the moves have to be all or nothing moves and they don't. This is especially frustrating when we can all see a couple simple moves they can make like now.

Sad thing is they may not even need to make a "Paddack for Rodney" move - or a move at all, aside from promoting within.  Yeah, that'll accelerate service times, but if you wind up winning, isn't that the ultimate goal anyway?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Jesus Sanchez, Starling Marte, Adam Duvall left to right please.

nah nah, i give you Alfaro, Marte, and Cooper.

odds are very long that Jesus Sanchez will become some superstar or even an occasional all-star (just based on reality) . it's not like he's sitting near the top of baseball's top prospects (and he kinda stunk in his brief callup last season) so the fact that they seem to be keeping him down for service time is utterly asinine (but what other reason is there?!?!) and if in fact that is why they're doing it then they are absolutely cheap af and we should all be incredibly concerned going forward with Sherman and Jeter as owners.

4 hours ago, hovertical said:

odds are very long that Jesus Sanchez will become some superstar or even an occasional all-star (just based on reality) . it's not like he's sitting near the top of baseball's top prospects (and he kinda stunk in his brief callup last season) so the fact that they seem to be keeping him down for service time is utterly asinine (but what other reason is there?!?!) and if in fact that is why they're doing it then they are absolutely cheap af and we should all be incredibly concerned going forward with Sherman and Jeter as owners.

I was thinking the same thing. It’s not like it’s Stanton or Yelich or Wander in Triple A. Try to capture lightning in a bottle and having the potential plus side of having another grade a prospect you have to pay is a good thing. If your trying to grow your own team that’s let of the price to play.

15 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Sad thing is they may not even need to make a "Paddack for Rodney" move - or a move at all, aside from promoting within. 

This is exactly my point. It's like they're trying not to make that type of move when they clearly don't have to make that type of move. They're being overly cautious for no reason.

On 5/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, hovertical said:

He stunk in his call up, but he was 22. He’s been a top 100 prospect for a few years, and was leading all minor leaguers in OPS for most of the season so far. The strikeout numbers are better than before, as well.0

Maybe he won’t be an occasional all star or superstar, but that’s a high bar. I think he could bring some pop and excitement. The lineups lately have been so flat. Cooper has struggled mightily, and I’d much rather see Sanchez learn on the fly against big league pitching.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On 5/30/2021 at 9:44 PM, mystikol87 said:

He stunk in his call up, but he was 22. He’s been a top 100 prospect for a few years, and was leading all minor leaguers in OPS for most of the season so far. The strikeout numbers are better than before, as well.0

Maybe he won’t be an occasional all star or superstar, but that’s a high bar. I think he could bring some pop and excitement. The lineups lately have been so flat. Cooper has struggled mightily, and I’d much rather see Sanchez learn on the fly against big league pitching.

But I agree with you that keeping him down is asinine. It’s not like they have any payroll committed down the line.

Edited by mystikol87

23 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

That's what I'm saying though. There's no point in delaying service time as the odds are long for any prospect to turn into a Megastar. They aren't saving much money

• Like 1

Within the rules currently in place I get the service time manipulation and money concerns if the MLB team is healthy and/or not even close to contending... aka the call up wouldn't make a difference or the call up has no realistic spot on the roster.

The problem with us that we are capable contenders and are currently full of injuries so in our situation there is no excuse Sanchez shouldn't be up. There is a clear NEED to bring him up. 

• Like 1

Admin
This post was recognized by Admin!

"Nobody has gotten this badge yet and this post deserved something"

hovertical was awarded the badge 'Superstar'

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Within the rules currently in place I get the service time manipulation and money concerns if the MLB team is healthy and/or not even close to contending... aka the call up wouldn't make a difference or the call up has no realistic spot on the roster.

The problem with us that we are capable contenders and are currently full of injuries so in our situation there is no excuse Sanchez shouldn't be up. There is a clear NEED to bring him up. 

"Our rebuild plan didn't have us competing this year so we'll continue to ignore the MLB team until it coincides with our plan we made several years ago" 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, hovertical said:

"Our rebuild plan didn't have us competing this year so we'll continue to ignore the MLB team until it coincides with our plan we made several years ago" 

Pretty much this. 

Though Ng didn't make the plan of years ago so I wonder how much she's wanting to do more than she's done this season. Like maybe Ng wants to push forward and Jeter isn't giving her enough free reign yet? 

Admin
This post was recognized by Admin!

Rydawg was awarded the badge 'Great Content'

I totally disagree with this assessment.   JT Realmuto barely squeeked into that top 100 list. How did that turn out?  You know who wasn't a top 100 prospect?  Trevor Rogers, and to me, he has a brighter future, and higher ceiling than all of our prospects outside of Sixto.  Being in the top 100 is nice, but it's not the end all be all when predicting a prospects future.

Also, as pointed out already, Sanchez was in the top 100 for a couple of seasons.  That changed when he came here from TB.  So, was he destined to be a superstar then but not now? Did he have superstar and All Star ability 2 years ago as a 20 year old but not today as a 22 year old?  

Grading and predicting prospects is still a crap shoot.  That's why there are always so many busts.  Sanchez has the tools to be really good and maybe even great.  As long as he cuts down on the K's.  He could also be a bust.  Let's hope for the Superstar.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rydawg said:

I totally disagree with this assessment.   JT Realmuto barely squeeked into that top 100 list. How did that turn out?  You know who wasn't a top 100 prospect?  Trevor Rogers, and to me, he has a brighter future, and higher ceiling than all of our prospects outside of Sixto.  Being in the top 100 is nice, but it's not the end all be all when predicting a prospects future.

Also, as pointed out already, Sanchez was in the top 100 for a couple of seasons.  That changed when he came here from TB.  So, was he destined to be a superstar then but not now? Did he have superstar and All Star ability 2 years ago as a 20 year old but not today as a 22 year old?  

Grading and predicting prospects is still a crap shoot.  That's why there are always so many busts.  Sanchez has the tools to be really good and maybe even great.  As long as he cuts down on the K's.  He could also be a bust.  Let's hope for the Superstar.  

i think you're still misunderstanding this.  You give a list of a couple people.  I'm simply saying just by general results,  the bulk of ALL MLB PROSPECTS will never be megastars.  I'm just stating that most prospects simply do not turn into megastars - hell, we have a team full of them right now as does every single MLB team out there.  Odds are just very long that ANY prospect in general will become a megastar - in particular ones that are not really even on the radar.  You're listing the exceptions to the rule.  I'm not. I'm actually making a case to bring Jesus up now - the logic you're using is that the Marlins are doing the right thing by manipulating his service time because he's gonna be some superstar and cost a fortune. 

Don't get hung up on the particular player.  In general the vast majority of prospects do not turn into super expensive stars.  That's ALL i'm saying. 

Edited by hovertical

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.