Marcell Ozuna Arrested on Assault, Battery Charges

rmc523

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/marcell-ozuna-arrested-on-assault-battery-charges.html

Marcell Ozuna was arrested today in Sandy Springs, Georgia on charges of aggravated assault strangulation and misdemeanor battery – family violence, according to WSBT’s Miles Garrett and ESPN.com’s Jeff Passan (Twitter links).  Ozuna is expected to be investigated by the league under the provisions of the MLB/MLBPA’s joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy.

Under the provisions of the joint policy, the league has the authority to issue discipline regardless of the outcome of the criminal charges leveled against Ozuna, though Ozuna could challenge any discipline to an arbitration panel.  Since the policy was instituted in 2015, suspensions have ranged from anywhere from 15 games to a full season, as per the discretion of the Commissioner’s Office.

Ozuna was placed on the 10-day injured list yesterday due to two dislocated fingers on his left hand, and he was expected to miss at least six weeks.  Should Ozuna be suspended, he would forfeit any salary owed to him during the missed games.  Ozuna re-signed with the Braves on a four-year, $65MM deal this past offseason, and he has roughly $8.12MM remaining on his $12MM salary for the 2021 season.

The Braves released a statement: “We learned of Marcell Ozuna’s arrest earlier this evening and immediately informed the Commissioner’s Office.  The Braves fully support Major League Baseball’s policy on domestic violence which stresses to the fullest that our society cannot and will not tolerate domestic violence in any form.  Until the investigation is completed, we will have no further comment and all inquiries into the matter should be referred to the Office of the Commissioner.”

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

wow, he admitted to shoving her to the ground already and supposedly the cops witnessed him choking her.  This will indeed likely be the end of his career. Good riddance. 

Yeah with that admission, MLB and Braves really don’t need to take long with the “investigation” they were doing. 

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Yeah this is probably a career ender, and honestly it should be.

It's horrible and he should face any legal consequences, but I'm against a person losing his livelihood over something like this.   

3 hours ago, Rydawg said:

It's horrible and he should face any legal consequences, but I'm against a person losing his livelihood over something like this.   

"Something like this" is really, really bad and would be a terrible stain letting him continue.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

"Something like this" is really, really bad and would be a terrible stain letting him continue.

So, let's say that he had never done something like that before.  Should his whole career end because of his worst moment?  Is that how he should be judged?  I don't think that's fair either. 

Let the legal process play out.  If you want to suspend him after the investigation, that's fine too.  There should be consequences, but to banish him from the game is too far in my opinion.  Now, if he's a multiple offender, that's a different story.

5 hours ago, Rydawg said:

So, let's say that he had never done something like that before.  Should his whole career end because of his worst moment?  Is that how he should be judged?  I don't think that's fair either. 

Let the legal process play out.  If you want to suspend him after the investigation, that's fine too.  There should be consequences, but to banish him from the game is too far in my opinion.  Now, if he's a multiple offender, that's a different story.

I completely agree. Obviously domestic violence is wrong and a man should never do that. But I do think MLB should let legal process play out. Don’t be like NFL and judge too early. If all this is true, however, and Marcell was indeed instigator, I feel 80 game suspension is appropriate. Not a career ending thing, but a stiff enough penalty to possibly deter it from happening again. Different example, but judging Ozuna for his one bad action would be like judging Jose for his one bad action the night he passed. Is that a fair comparison or is it 🍎 and 🍊

Just now, Italian Marlins Fan said:

I completely agree. Obviously domestic violence is wrong and a man should never do that. But I do think MLB should let legal process play out. Don’t be like NFL and judge too early. If all this is true, however, and Marcell was indeed instigator, I feel 80 game suspension is appropriate. Not a career ending thing, but a stiff enough penalty to possibly deter it from happening again. Different example, but judging Ozuna for his one bad action would be like judging Jose for his one bad action the night he passed. Is that a fair comparison or is it 🍎 and 🍊

That's a tough one and I would have to say closer to apples and oranges. Jose's actions cost more than just his own life. Although, and perhaps exaggeration, but without interference, Marcell's could have as well.

Perhaps you're right, though. It may have been a moment of rage and passion in Marcell's case. I think suspension should be longer than 80, though. 162 game minimum needs to become the standard. And it should begin AFTER a completion of a rehabilitation program of sorts. Hell, void his contract, too. It won't end his career outright but it'll make it hard for him to get back, and I think that'll be fair.

PEDs are one thing. You're injecting yourself with stuff, and it affects your own body more than anyone else. DV is definitely not just your own body.

And these two looked so happy on social media from what I always saw. So sad.

And nobody wants to go this route but I'll go there... what he did was absolutely wrong and he needs to be punished for it... but what did she do to get him to snap like this?

To fall over the edge, you have to already be standing close to to the edge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

And nobody wants to go this route but I'll go there... what he did was absolutely wrong and he needs to be punished for it... but what did she do to get him to snap like this?

Seems like someone was having extra marital affairs. Not the first them they've had physical violence towards each other.

I'm confused about the two phone deal, is that common? 

And MLB is weird, Chapman, Odubel Herrera, Domingo German are still playing, Addison Russell and Roberto Osuna aren't. Talent ultimately will dictate whether a player plays again or not. 

I don't think punishment really deters anyone who does this in the heat of the moment. If you want him gone to deter others, you'll fall at that. Unless they're truly pieces of shit, this stuff isn't done while thinking logically. If you want him gone because he did something terrible, then that's one thing. Maybe this was his worst moment or maybe he's done it before. I don't know... but you can't definitively call him a horrible person because he did one horrible thing in the heat of the moment. 

I wouldn't ban him from the game. I'd suspend him without pay and maybe set his wife up with whatever pay he doesn't receive so she can feel enabled to leave him if necessary. 

On the other hand, he's made enough money that removing his livelihood shouldn't leave him in squalor to the detriment of society... So regardless, Marcell will be ok. There should be mechanisms in place to ensure his wife is ok, though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CoastieMike said:

Seems like someone was having extra marital affairs. Not the first them they've had physical violence towards each other.

I'm confused about the two phone deal, is that common? 

And MLB is weird, Chapman, Odubel Herrera, Domingo German are still playing, Addison Russell and Roberto Osuna aren't. Talent ultimately will dictate whether a player plays again or not. 

tbh, russell wouldnt be in MLB today even if he had never had the domestic violence issues.

Osuna, if he hadnt been stubborn and had TJ surgery probably would be on a roster this year as well.  I assume the rest and rehab route hasnt been good for his stuff and he still looks hurt, with as bad as relief pitching has been, if he looked remotely competent he would have a MLB job right now. 

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Thank you!

you know how many men in this country got slapped/punched by their wives today? Or how many of them were berated and belittled? Yet no one gives a shit about that...if domestic violence is such an unspeakable horror then it needs to go both ways.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Thank you!

you know how many men in this country got slapped/punched by their wives today? Or how many of them were berated and belittled? Yet no one gives a shit about that...if domestic violence is such an unspeakable horror then it needs to go both ways.

A man can't hit a woman and women know that "good" men won't do such a thing because they were raised right and because it's wrong and because there are serious consequences. 

There are too many women who take advantage of the above and do not treat their men fairly because the woman thinks they can get away with things because "he can't/won't hurt me." 

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Surprised to know a former Marlins fan lover to do something like that, of course his bad performance of this season couldn't be the excuse for that. 

The timing tells me he was probably extra frustrated because of his recent injury so that couldn't have helped.

from mlbtr:

Ozuna has been released on a $20,000 bond for the time being and is under court order to avoid contact with his wife, according to the Associated Press. The couple was in the process of divorcing at the time of Ozuna’s arrest, per the AP. Ken Rosenthal and David O’Brien of The Athletic lay out the reasons that it’s unlikely the Braves will be able to simply void Ozuna’s contract.

20 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

A man can't hit a woman and women know that "good" men won't do such a thing because they were raised right and because it's wrong and because there are serious consequences. 

There are too many women who take advantage of the above and do not treat their men fairly because the woman thinks they can get away with things because "he can't/won't hurt me." 

To add to your point:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/05/marcell-ozuna-injured-after-wife-hit-him-with-soap-dish-report/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8392753/Wife-Braves-Marcell-Ozuna-arrested-domestic-battery-hitting-soap-dish.html

She's also a domestic violence abuser. Yet, she gets no jail time, and even the order to stay away was amended...oh, and the laceration Ozuna got "wasn't serious", but hand bruising is? Double standards. They're both shitty people for doing that to each other but I can't stand when some are treated differently than others when it comes to the law.

• Like 2