6/1 Post Game Thread

Just now, FishFry said:

That’s about the same time I called Don out of him losing the team with that double switch.   I also compiled a list of Don’s treatment toward Jazz in that time but that was dismissed as reading to much into nothing.  

I will also add the Harrison ordeal into the mix of a possible occurrence that could have caused friction within.  

I know it was just spring training, but the team seemed to preform more to their potential, yet now, it’s anything but that. Last year too, they got more from less but this team on paper is better. 

I mean, extremely small sample sized and I am an incredibly biased observer, but when I was at Dodger Stadium I kept an eye on Isan Diaz and saw him make no effort to play hard whatsoever when playing the field. He couldn't get to a ball that maybe would have taken a nice play but not some extremely excellent one, and didn't seem to make any extra effort. MiggyRo went over to talk to him after the play and didn't seem particularly pleased. Kind of gave him a "come on man, let's go, let's go" talking to. I imagine seeing a guy like that just keep getting starts makes the other players, who are constantly forced to take days off, not feel great about their manager. Another thing, which I have mentioned to @Michaelbefore and maybe on the board as well: Don gives up on close games when the team is down, which must make the offense feel like he has no faith in them. If the team is down 2 or 3 runs, he'll start pulling guys from the lineup or putting in the mop up relievers as if there was no chance we could come back. I know if I were playing my hardest and my manager constantly gave up on close games just because we were behind by a bit, I would feel discouraged and probably eventually start giving up on him as well. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I mean, extremely small sample sized and I am an incredibly biased observer, but when I was at Dodger Stadium I kept an eye on Isan Diaz and saw him make no effort to play hard whatsoever when playing the field. He couldn't get to a ball that maybe would have taken a nice play but not some extremely excellent one, and didn't seem to make any extra effort. MiggyRo went over to talk to him after the play and didn't seem particularly pleased. Kind of gave him a "come on man, let's go, let's go" talking to. I imagine seeing a guy like that just keep getting starts makes the other players, who are constantly forced to take days off, not feel great about their manager. Another thing, which I have mentioned to @Michaelbefore and maybe on the board as well: Don gives up on close games when the team is down, which must make the offense feel like he has no faith in them. If the team is down 2 or 3 runs, he'll start pulling guys from the lineup or putting in the mop up relievers as if there was no chance we could come back. I know if I were playing my hardest and my manager constantly gave up on close games just because we were behind by a bit, I would feel discouraged and probably eventually start giving up on him as well. 

Have you noticed any lack on how the players approach their preparation when on-deck?  Do you feel the players are more fundamentally lackadaisical? 

23 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Have you noticed any lack on how the players approach their preparation when on-deck?  Do you feel the players are more fundamentally lackadaisical? 

I honestly haven't noticed anything about on deck batters. Would be interesting to keep an eye on though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

100% agree with this - he often seems to pull the plug on the close games that are still winnable with his bizarre switches and pitching choices.

Then it seems like the opposite happens when they're down by a lot.

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This isn't 2018 or 2019, this shouldn't be about next year anymore. There are realistic improvements that could be made to this team literally tomorrow. That's why this is so frustrating right now. The Marlins right now are not trotting out their best roster even with injuries being accounted for.

That’s what’s frustrating me. If the vast majority of the lineup was healthy and they weren’t calling up prospects to replace known commodities, I would understand it. They are being spoon fed a way to insert prospects into the lineup up to see how they have advanced and they aren’t budging. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

That’s what’s frustrating me. If the vast majority of the lineup was healthy and they weren’t calling up prospects to replace known commodities, I would understand it. They are being spoon fed a way to insert prospects into the lineup up to see how they have advanced and they aren’t budging. 

Look, here's the real problem.  Outside of Sanchez, possibly, we don't have anyone in AAA or AA that is ready for the show.  Their one opportunity to bring Sanchez up was when Marte was injured.   Now, we have Marte, Dickerson and Duvall all healthy.  Dickerson and Duvall aren't great but this is the FO that signed them.  Also, Cooper has to play somewhere.

This FO still gets a lot of shit for not signing a veteran SP this off-season.   Imagine how much shit it would get for not signing an OF bat? Just think about this for a minute.  All of those on here mocking anyone against the rebuild with "just two pitchers away" are now saying that we are just 1 hitter away?  I hope not. 

I want to see Sanchez as much as anyone and I do believe they are manipulating his service clock.   However, Sanchez alone isn't going  to turn this offense around.  I don't blame then for holding him back.  

We have built a lot of depth in the lower minors and hopefully by next season we'll start to see the fruits of that labor.   Right now, all of the young talent in the upper minors has fizzled.  Harrison, Brinson, Diaz and even Lewin are stinking up the place.  Only Jazz has been able to breakout and he K's a ton.  Devers is only 21 so he has plenty of time and he honestly should be either in AAA or starting everyday up here.  Wasting his time as a reserve.  He needs the AB's.  

Let's just take a chill, relax and realize that we are just in the first quarter of the 3rd season of the rebuild.  We have the pitching side down.  Just have to develop those hitters. We are on the right track.

1 hour ago, Rydawg said:

Look, here's the real problem.  Outside of Sanchez, possibly, we don't have anyone in AAA or AA that is ready for the show.  Their one opportunity to bring Sanchez up was when Marte was injured.   Now, we have Marte, Dickerson and Duvall all healthy.  Dickerson and Duvall aren't great but this is the FO that signed them.  Also, Cooper has to play somewhere.

This FO still gets a lot of shit for not signing a veteran SP this off-season.   Imagine how much shit it would get for not signing an OF bat? Just think about this for a minute.  All of those on here mocking anyone against the rebuild with "just two pitchers away" are now saying that we are just 1 hitter away?  I hope not. 

I want to see Sanchez as much as anyone and I do believe they are manipulating his service clock.   However, Sanchez alone isn't going  to turn this offense around.  I don't blame then for holding him back.  

We have built a lot of depth in the lower minors and hopefully by next season we'll start to see the fruits of that labor.   Right now, all of the young talent in the upper minors has fizzled.  Harrison, Brinson, Diaz and even Lewin are stinking up the place.  Only Jazz has been able to breakout and he K's a ton.  Devers is only 21 so he has plenty of time and he honestly should be either in AAA or starting everyday up here.  Wasting his time as a reserve.  He needs the AB's.  

Let's just take a chill, relax and realize that we are just in the first quarter of the 3rd season of the rebuild.  We have the pitching side down.  Just have to develop those hitters. We are on the right track.

I’m more concerned about our in field depth. We went so heavy on our field prospects that a few injuries have completely decimated the infield 

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This is more about roster construction than about Don right now I think.

Don is Don and has always been Don.

He did wonders with a patchwork team like ten months ago, I wouldn't think he's lost his touch already. 

They rank near the bottom in strike outs, walks, HRs, and runs scored.   You could scramble the line-ups of any other team and they wouldn’t just disappear like this team does.  

Last year should prove that something is wrong besides a line-up construction.   If a manager, day in and day out refuses to put his players in the best position to win, in time the players are going to do the same.  They know who should be out there and how the gm should be  managed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FishFry said:

If a manager, day in and day out refuses to put his players in the best position to win, in time the players are going to do the same.  They know who should be out there and how the gm should be  managed. 

So the players have given up because they think Donnie doesn't care to win? If that's what you're saying I disagree. The players just aren't that good and the ones who are any good aren't doing very good right now. I don't see this as them not trying.

25 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So the players have given up because they think Donnie doesn't care to win? If that's what you're saying I disagree. The players just aren't that good and the ones who are any good aren't doing very good right now. I don't see this as them not trying.

I think every team generally wants to win each game. But when the players see a daily dosage of bad coaching like (days off, line-up construction, in gm coaching, pitchers PH for pitchers, everyone plays, sitting a hot bat, etc) it takes it’s toll mentally.  Im not excusing the players, everyone should be accountable. 

Edited by FishFry

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

some of his moves have been bizarre for sure this season but I still put most of the blame on the FO for failing to upgrade this team in the offseason and largely ignoring their needs in-season.  I mean, if you really want to  take it that far and blame Don as well then that too falls on the FO for not removing him.