Marcus Stroman Tweet

rmc523

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31551690/new-york-mets-marcus-stroman-refers-racist-undertones-crack-analyst-bob-brenly

Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman referred to "racist undertones" in a tweet late Tuesday night after television analyst Bob Brenly made comments about the right-hander's head covering during New York's game against the Diamondbacks.

Brenly, the former World Series-winning manager who now calls Diamondbacks games for Bally Sports Arizona, made a crack about Stroman's attire during the fourth inning Tuesday.

"Pretty sure that's the same durag that Tom Seaver used to wear when he pitched for the Mets," Brenly said during the telecast.

After the game, Stroman tweeted, "Onward and upward...through all adversity and racist undertones. The climb continues through all!"

This article popped up on my phone this morning and wanted to get the board’s thoughts on it as I truly try to understand it.

I didn’t hear the broadcast nor get the whole context of what else was being said around the particular comment, but do y’all think Brenley’s comments truly cause “adversity” and have “racist undertones?”  Based on reading the comment, It sounds to me like an attempt at a bad joke of some sort.

Again, I’m just trying to understand, not trying to cause any sort of issue.

Hi. It's racist. He basically said Tom Seaver wouldn't wear a du rag because he was a gentleman, and Stroman wearing one was ungentlemanly. Things don't need to be super obvious and outright to be seeded in racism. Brenly could call Stroman a thug and some of you would say that isn't racist because "they say it to each other" right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

(most importantly, please remember that we are not allowed to decide what is and is not racist. believe victims.) 

Disagree. People can also say stupid shit without it being racist every time. Calling him a thug (something you completely fictionalized to try and prove your point) is different than pointing out he knows what a dorag is. I guess I take the term racist far more seriously than you do. It may have been an ignorant/dumb comment but I don't believe there was even the tiniest bit of malice behind it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Disagree. People can also say stupid shit without it being racist every time. Calling him a thug (something you completely fictionalized to try and prove your point) is different than pointing out he knows what a dorag is. I guess I take the term racist far more seriously than you do. It may have been an ignorant/dumb comment but I don't believe there was even the tiniest bit of malice behind it

Do you think Brenly would have said anything if Freddie Freeman had a du rag on?

if anything it sounds a lot more like micro-aggression than racism unless you truly want to believe that Bob Brenly believes black people are inferior and he was being malicious at the time he said that. 

go take a look the definitions of racism and also that of micro-aggression (which can be entirely unintentional) and come back and see if you still agree he was being racist.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hovertical said:

of course not because Freeman doesn't wear one...soooo?

That's not the point though, *if* Freddie Freeman, Brian Anderson, Chad Wallach, or Don Mattingly were to wear something other than a hat to cover their hair, would Brenly have had anything to say about it?

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

if anything it sounds a lot more like micro-aggression than racism unless you truly want to believe that Bob Brenly believes black people are inferior and he was being malicious at the time he said that. 

go take a look the definitions of racism and also that of micro-aggression (which can be entirely unintentional) and come back and see if you still agree he was being racist.

To clarify here, there's a difference between being racist and making a racist comment. I do believe he made a racist comment, I don't know if he's a racist. 

2 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

That's not the point though, *if* Freddie Freeman, Brian Anderson, Chad Wallach, or Don Mattingly were to wear something other than a hat to cover their hair, would Brenly have had anything to say about it?

i'm pretty sure this defense wouldn't work in a court.  you can't judge and or assume something regarding someone based on a hypothetical scenario that didn't happen.  Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.  You are now judging someones character  based on something that never happened - not on facts.

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hi. It's racist. He basically said Tom Seaver wouldn't wear a du rag because he was a gentleman, and Stroman wearing one was ungentlemanly. Things don't need to be super obvious and outright to be seeded in racism. Brenly could call Stroman a thug and some of you would say that isn't racist because "they say it to each other" right?

First, it's not racist.  More of an age thing.  Players back then dressed and acted differently than players do today.  Society in general acts much different.   If he would have used Bib Gibson as an example instead of Tom Seaver, would it still be racist?  

Second, there are thugs in all races and they come in all colors.  Why does using the word thug automatically mean that it's referring to a black person? What makes the word racist?  The fact that someone used the word thug, or the fact a person heard the word and automatically associated it with a black person?

Not taking a shot at you SITA, I know you were using it as an example.  Just trying to get a point across.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

As a TV analyst, probably, yes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hovertical said:

i'm pretty sure this defense wouldn't work in a court.  you can't judge and or assume something regarding someone based on a hypothetical scenario that didn't happen.  Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.  You are now judging someones character  based on something that never happened - not on facts.

Welcome to 2021. Where your intentions are not yours to have but rather dictated and established by a population of people (read children) that believe "racism" is destroying our society, when in reality it's the unfounded mob belief that our society is destroyed in the first place that is truly dividing and destroying it. The division itself is what's dividing the country...how is that not obvious?

My source? I'm a "POC" minority myself that owns my own business, feeds over 50 families directly (not counting the hundreds I feed indirectly through the course of my daily work) and doesn't give 3 flying fucks what anyone in this world thinks or says. I go about my daily life like anyone else cause I was taught that way by my refugee mother. I was never taught to believe myself to be a "victim" of anyone or anything. And I've lived outside of South Florida for fucking years so it's not cause I live around a bunch of minorities. To call what Brendly did racist and to call a multi-millionaire athlete with a shoe company a "victim" is a fucking slap in the face to the black people who came before him that faced REAL fucking racism. Cause in my book, racism is segregation, telling your daughter she can't marry someone who isn't part of your race, telling me to go back to my country even though I was born here (which has happened to me so many times in my life that I literally wouldn't care to count)....what Brenly did is just a dumb joke that someone with their balls set firmly on their body wouldn't allow themselves to be affected by because they'd understand that they're 100% above someone else's words/opinions. Huge difference between something "racial" and something "racist". Everyone needs to grow the fuck up and worry about themselves. Once they do, they'll realize it's their own bullshit mentality that kept them back, not anyone or anything else. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Just wondering if this "counts" as racism since, you know, Stroman is rich:

https://twitter.com/STR0/status/1400122616107593737?s=19

Obviously, and you know it is.

That doesn’t change the fact that he should laugh that shit off. If you have to “persevere” past a DM you have a weak composition. Not because he’s rich, but because that’s what a strong person does.

I hate anecdotal evidence cause I understand it means jack shit in any true debate, but I literally couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve heard someone say something like “great, more fucking spics” when they overhear me speaking Spanish to my grandmother or something. And you know what I do? I laugh in their face and say “yup, fuck em all right?” And I move the fuck on. which is my point, instead of everyone worrying about telling people what they should or shouldn’t say, parents should revert back to the old “sticks and stones” adage and raise some well-adjusted adults. 

• Like 2

People should be allowed to form their opinion about any race so as long as they don’t discriminate anyone’s well-being.  The hypocrisy in it all is that the so called victim (Stroman) is actually the victimizer by stirring the race pot narrative into something it’s not.

If we had laws that targeted against loose accusations of racism, then we would know what true racism really is. 

You’d think people who truly care about racism wouldn’t support this wideness of “everything is racists” jargon, because it only discriminates those who are actual victims of true hate. 

Edited by FishFry
  • Like 2