Marcus Stroman Tweet

rmc523

6 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hi. It's racist. He basically said Tom Seaver wouldn't wear a du rag because he was a gentleman, and Stroman wearing one was ungentlemanly. Things don't need to be super obvious and outright to be seeded in racism. Brenly could call Stroman a thug and some of you would say that isn't racist because "they say it to each other" right?

Not being a gentleman can be an insult that has nothing to do with race. I think Stroman looks like an idiot wearing that as part of his uniform but that has nothing to do with his skin color. Stroman wants it to be taken as racist so he's making it racist but there's zero evidence that Brenly meant it due to race even if it was an insult. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Do you think Brenly would have said anything if Freddie Freeman had a du rag on?

He probably should because it would look just as stupid, but again that's on how I think a du rag looks as part of a uniform and nothing to do with skin color. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Hi. It's racist. He basically said Tom Seaver wouldn't wear a du rag because he was a gentleman, and Stroman wearing one was ungentlemanly. Things don't need to be super obvious and outright to be seeded in racism. Brenly could call Stroman a thug and some of you would say that isn't racist because "they say it to each other" right?

Someone needs to tell Bob that players dont wear suits on the road anymore as well...

23 hours ago, Michael said:

Additionally.

We need to define what true racism is in this country or the simplest offenses will be accepted as hate and become a systematic ideology by association to build or destroy another race. 

I find it unbelievably hard to accept that Brenly didn’t criticize any white players lol.  I know Castro had character issues as a cubbie and Soto had maybe three decent years there.  Did they play, did they fly on the same plane, was any of their rights taken away?  Nah, they had it much worse, criticizing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, Michael said:

So, it's not just a one time thing. Perhaps Stroman has some credence here.

So is Blake Snell offended to? He's worn du rags on his gaming channel a few times. 

Edited by CoastieMike

1 hour ago, CoastieMike said:

So is Blake Snell offended to? He's worn du rags on his gaming channel a few times. 

Blake Snell was offended that MLB the Show didn't have him as a diamond. He's now a silver. He's much more of a snowflake!

• Haha 1

Anyways, my point of the Aramis Ramirez additional tweets was to simply say Brenly maybe isn't a "first time offender" here. Whether you feel what he said was wrong or not, if it seems he has some bias against certain individuals or feels that his comments are "necessary" because of things some people do or wear and it's a little more pointed at a particular group than others, then Stroman gets a little more validation here that, MAYBE, there could be some derision underneath Brenly's words. That is all. If it was a one-off thing, it is possible it meant nothing and was truly supposed to be harmless. These don't appear to be one-offs.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Anyways, my point of the Aramis Ramirez additional tweets was to simply say Brenly maybe isn't a "first time offender" here. Whether you feel what he said was wrong or not, if it seems he has some bias against certain individuals or feels that his comments are "necessary" because of things some people do or wear and it's a little more pointed at a particular group than others, then Stroman gets a little more validation here that, MAYBE, there could be some derision underneath Brenly's words. That is all. If it was a one-off thing, it is possible it meant nothing and was truly supposed to be harmless. These don't appear to be one-offs.

Just playing devils advocate here, but how do we know that Aramis wasn’t a complete diva that thought he was the shit and personally rubbed Brenly the wrong way?  Maybe Brenly disagreed with the front office acquiring him over someone else they had been targeting that Brenly proffered and so he was invested in Aramis doing poorly in order to feel vindicated. Point is we don’t know the details, and as I’ve pointed out before, we need to worry about ourselves. Cause when it comes to passing judgement on someone’s character in a time where one tweet can ruin a career, people should Refrain from it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Just playing devils advocate here, but how do we know that Aramis wasn’t a complete diva that thought he was the shit and personally rubbed Brenly the wrong way?  Maybe Brenly disagreed with the front office acquiring him over someone else they had been targeting that Brenly proffered and so he was invested in Aramis doing poorly in order to feel vindicated. Point is we don’t know the details, and as I’ve pointed out before, we need to worry about ourselves. Cause when it comes to passing judgement on someone’s character in a time where one tweet can ruin a career, people should Refrain from it.

Fair points. Aramis also pointed out remarks regarding Castro and Soto, but as you (or someone else) pointed out, perhaps it's selective memory. Maybe he is/was critical of everyone. Possibly he just has less of a filter than others.

I don't have a place in this fight, it is not something I've experienced. So in that, I agree with SITA, I can't determine what is or is not considered offensive in that context. I do also agree with you, though, in that we should worry more about ourselves than trying to place every comment under a microscope.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:58 PM, SongInTheAir said:

That's not the point though, *if* Freddie Freeman, Brian Anderson, Chad Wallach, or Don Mattingly were to wear something other than a hat to cover their hair, would Brenly have had anything to say about it?

This is the only way we give Mattingly an extension. He's gotta wear it if he wants one. 

10 hours ago, Michael said:

Fair points. Aramis also pointed out remarks regarding Castro and Soto, but as you (or someone else) pointed out, perhaps it's selective memory. Maybe he is/was critical of everyone. Possibly he just has less of a filter than others.

I don't have a place in this fight, it is not something I've experienced. So in that, I agree with SITA, I can't determine what is or is not considered offensive in that context. I do also agree with you, though, in that we should worry more about ourselves than trying to place every comment under a microscope.

Something you never experienced?  You never had criticism or have had an altercation, or been judged wrongly and treated with cruelty?  How do you know it wasn’t because of your race?  Everyone else who cries racism seems to know for sure so conveniently. 

4 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Something you never experienced?  You never had criticism or have had an altercation, or been judged wrongly and treated with cruelty?  How do you know it wasn’t because of your race?  Everyone else who cries racism seems to know for sure so conveniently. 

Judged wrongly, sure.

Treated with cruelty, certainly.

Racism? Eh, it's possible, but not to my knowledge! Not directed at me, anyways.

That's why I said, I don't know. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

Judged wrongly, sure.

Treated with cruelty, certainly.

Racism? Eh, it's possible, but not to my knowledge! Not directed at me, anyways.

That's why I said, I don't know. 🙂

But those who call it racism have no more truth then you or I, yet they do.  

Based on how you answered that checklist, it gives you empowerment to know what is truth and what isn’t. I’m glad you separated your feelings from those occurrences rather than the using the race card like it’s being used today  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FishFry said:

How do you know it wasn’t because of your race?  Everyone else who cries racism seems to know for sure so conveniently. 

Exactly this. Skin color seems to define the interpretation of what is and isn't racist. If the exact same criticism happens to a white guy and to a black guy apparently it's racist to the black guy but not to the white guy. If Brenly had said the same comment about wearing a du rag to Blake Snell apparently that's not racist even though it's the exact same comment/criticism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Exactly this. Skin color seems to define the interpretation of what is and isn't racist. If the exact same criticism happens to a white guy and to a black guy apparently it's racist to the black guy but not to the white guy. If Brenly had said the same comment about wearing a du rag to Blake Snell apparently that's not racist even though it's the exact same comment/criticism.

You’re 100% right and the irony is that is racist in and of itself. “Black excellence” should be just as offensive as “white power” but apparently one group of people can be proud while the other cant. and I’m not part of either of those groups so I could care less. I just enjoy calling out the hypocrisy when I see it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

You’re 100% right and the irony is that is racist in and of itself. “Black excellence” should be just as offensive as “white power” but apparently one group of people can be proud while the other cant. and I’m not part of either of those groups so I could care less. I just enjoy calling out the hypocrisy when I see it.

The great people who first attempted to fight racism on a grand scale said that we shouldn't look at skin color but the people who claim to fight racism now look at skin color first. It's the opposite of what people like Dr King were trying to do.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.