Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Did #16 ever officially get retired?

I wanna say the answer is no, the number is just temporarily not in use, but Cooperstown lists 16 as a retired number for the Marlins. You can see it in the pic below...

I don't think prince fielder # is retired either , those are just game used items at Cooperstown

1 hour ago, el_gmac said:

I don't think prince fielder # is retired either , those are just game used items at Cooperstown

Look closely at the sign at the bottom of the Marlins locker, it states that #16 and #42 are retired but 16 never was officially retired by the team. 

There was never an official ceremony or announcement. Loria's regime made it known that nobody would wear it again but it seemed to just be taken out of circulation.

Cooperstown either has it wrong or the Marlins retired it quietly.

It'll be interesting to see who and when the number comes back to the Marlins. While this ownership has shied away from unnecessarily spotlighting Jose I don't believe 16 being out of circulation is an accident. They likely have it locked away so to speak on purpose. 

I know number retirement is a big part of our sporting culture but I feel like a bigger honor would not be retirement but to give historic numbers to special players.   Let the number live on and honor multiple players with it. 

I think it's "retired" - not actually/officially retired, but they're staying away from it.

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I think it's "retired" - not actually/officially retired, but they're staying away from it.

Like Darryl Kile. His number wasn't issued again, but wasn't actually retired as far as I know.

Just like the Angels probably won't issue Skaggs' number again.

37 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

I know number retirement is a big part of our sporting culture but I feel like a bigger honor would not be retirement but to give historic numbers to special players.   Let the number live on and honor multiple players with it. 

Executing that would be odd though... what if the later players fuck it up and end up ruining the legacy of that number?

And I think you're saying give the number to a player once they've established themselves but the problem there is wouldn't the player by then have established themselves with a different number? For example let's keep with the Marlins and say they decided to give Stanton #16 after he won the 2017 MVP. At that point it would be silly because Stanton would already have made his name as #27 so a number change at that point to a number already belonging to an important player would be really weird.

With your idea someone would have to be given the legacy number before they made their mark but what if they Brinson it? Or Hermida it?