Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Did #16 ever officially get retired?

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Executing that would be odd though... what if the later players fuck it up and end up ruining the legacy of that number?

And I think you're saying give the number to a player once they've established themselves but the problem there is wouldn't the player by then have established themselves with a different number? For example let's keep with the Marlins and say they decided to give Stanton #16 after he won the 2017 MVP. At that point it would be silly because Stanton would already have made his name as #27 so a number change at that point to a number already belonging to an important player would be really weird.

With your idea someone would have to be given the legacy number before they made their mark but what if they Brinson it? Or Hermida it? 

It’s not perfect. I’m not even saying this should be a thing. It’s just a system that appeals to me more.  It’s commonplace in college football and in soccer leagues in Europe.  With the pros you see guys change numbers once they elevate their games.  You see guys with a high sense of self worth grab a number right away.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Ultimately the numbers legacy is only colored by the quality players.  But there’s a fun narrative behind each number.  

46 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

With the pros you see guys change numbers once they elevate their games.  You see guys with a high sense of self worth grab a number right away.

Yea I get ya, just saying I don't think it would work because the two things I quoted above have faults...

Like Yelich is now a hot commodity with the Brewers and those fans have probably bought a ton of merchandise recognizing him as #22, it would be odd for him to suddenly change his number to another Brewers legend's number. 

And then a highly touted rookie getting a legendary number is asking for trouble if the rookie becomes a bust like VVM. 

4 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

It’s commonplace in college football and in soccer leagues in Europe.

I believe it is also a common thing in Japan, where the staff ace typically wears No. 18 (the number of Japan's Cy Young, Tsuneo Horiuchi), and No. 4 hitters typically wear Sadahuro Oh's old number -- though I could be mistaken. I think that's kind of cool.

Yeah, you'll get a few Jeremy Hermida's wearing that jersey, though I think in Japan it's a thing that really has to be earned, not just given based on hitting No. 4 a few games. Moreover, I'm sure fans will love having the No. Whatever version of their favorite player -- it would kind of work like an All-Star badge.

8 hours ago, Erick said:

If we anybody wears 16 again, we riot.

i'm down for streaking but not for a riot

Still waiting on the Marlins to re-retire #5, the curse of Carl has hit the team as the team hasn't posted a winning season since unretiring it

8 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

ice cube milk GIF

Can it be called spilled milk if the bowl is where the guy wanted the milk to go?

Just now, FishFan95 said:

Can it be called spilled milk if the bowl is where the guy wanted the milk to go?

It is not a spilled milk image. I only use those when appropriate.