The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

He made weird moves last year, and I realize some of the players (especially bullpen) are different, but I feel like this season the weird moves have been above and beyond how many happened last year.

This is exactly what I'm saying. He has a large enough body of work to know he's not THIS awful. There's some string pulling going on BTS. What a travesty. 

45 minutes ago, hovertical said:

This is exactly what I'm saying. He has a large enough body of work to know he's not THIS awful. There's some string pulling going on BTS. What a travesty. 

He had a pretty good managerial year last year, but he also got away with things a lot more. This year, it seems like the bad decisions are having immediate consequences, whereas last year baseball things happened and just made his dumb things seem less dumb. I live in LA, and the FIRST thing any Dodgers fan says to me when they see me in a Marlins hat is something about how awful it must be to have Mattingly as my team's manager. He's been making terrible decisions for years now, sometimes though, because it's baseball, those terrible decisions work out. I mean, prime example recently: Jorge Alfaro hit a home run on the day he was batting cleanup. Does that mean putting Jorge Alfaro in one of the most important spots in the batting order was a good move? Absolutely not. Empirically a horrific lineup decision, but it worked! 

The question with Ng is how much of this is on her and how much of this is her being handcuffed by those above her. We can say she's inexperienced but we've already gone through how much front office experience she has so she definitely has experience. Just because she started as the GM doesn't mean she's starting from square one. I also can't believe she's as clueless as the last month has made her seem.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

The question with Ng is how much of this is on her and how much of this is her being handcuffed by those above her. We can say she's inexperienced but we've already gone through how much front office experience she has so she definitely has experience. Just because she started as the GM doesn't mean she's starting from square one. I also can't believe she's as clueless as the last month has made her seem.

Alas, we will never know. It really is a shame if they are really restricting what she can/can't do as it was such a watershed moment in sports - but if you're just going to limit her in a lot of ways then that's really pointless to do something "bold" (by male-dominated sports standards anyway). 

but yeah, we'll never know

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

At this point, Jeter needs to separate the coach and the GM and let them do their jobs.  No more collective group decision making.  Give Don the players and let him manage the way he sees fit. At least we would know who’s more to blame.  (Still think Don should be fired). 

Same for Jeter. If he is handcuffing Ng, he needs to separate himself as well.  Let them do their job so he can identify the problem.  (I think both Jeter & Ng are to raw right now). 

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree, but my name isn't Alas. Not sure where you got that from.

better than hey A$shole?  ❤️

= )

i mean, i understand that's your real birthname and all but i would hate other posters to get confused and think i was talking to them

• Banana 1

31 minutes ago, Michael said:

We also didn't get Benintendi because we didn't want to include Berti in the trade.

Yes. That is real.

Christ. We could have just forced Isan into the Berti role.

Hell at this point with the way they don't want to rid themselves of the Brinson albatross...might as well gave him the bench/util guy. At least it might have raised his value.

Edited by Major-Minor

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I think with Ng is that I never expected her to really make many moves until the midway point of this season as she gets her handle on what exactly is in this organization.  I mean could she make a move?  Sure.  Will it be good or bad?  Maybe.  Will it truly be an informed decision?  Probably not.

Is that what fans want? A GM to come in and make wild decisions without actually having a firm grasp on what the fuck she has in her system?  Was she supposed to trust as gospel truth what the last administration said? 

Its one thing to see reports, and read reports, but until you can actually get a handle on what you have, its tough to make real informed decisions.

There being no minor league season last year is a big part of it as well.

Though some of the roster moves (really the only bad one is not calling up Sanchez, which I wonder how much is actually her call), is out of her control.   Her hands are largely tied on roster issues in regard to infielders and pitching especially.  Only so many options you have.  The OF situation I'm sure is one of, well who is Sanchez replacing?  And does anyone trust Mattingly to use Sanchez properly?

There is a 40 man roster issue and there are injuries all over the fucking sport and a lot of it is due to last year.  Remember we are already past the total number of games played last year.

I expect the second half of the season to maybe be even worse injury wise.

I fully expect Mattingly to be gone at the end of season.  Maybe before if they feel he has totally lost the club.

Kim Ng will want to bring in her own hire.  Its what a GM almost always does as it is.  Why would she be any different.

Don Mattingly is exactly the manager today he was in year 1 with the Dodgers.

There is a reason why the Dodgers werent exactly upset that he moved on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Group decisions. From a Herald article today.

Screenshot_20210608-153637_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is also the biggest reason why the disaster you are seeing continues to happen.

Jeter has no idea of how to fucking run a team and has no fucking business being involved in the day to day operations.  

I hope Berti is a Denbo guy.  Fuck Denbo.  

The Marlins need to wake up and figure out who the fuck makes the final decision.  A collaborative  approach sounds all warm and fuzzy in theory until it comes down to making a decision and being the one in charge.   

Its what I've said all along.  Jeter is massively underqualified and has no business making any real decisions on day to day operations.  You can surround yourself with whatever you want, but if you still insist on being part of the decisions then what the fuck is the point in the end.

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

All the people calling out Ng, tell me what you would have done instead. It is easy to complain about underperformance when you don't have to provide alternatives yourselves.

A lot of ideas/suggestions have been put forth, both in the offseason and during the season, including calling up guys (the easiest one to do) - they instead did nothing and/or called up the wrong guys for no reason.

• Like 2