The Fire Don Mattingly Thread

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Those aren't the only things but have you seen the way we lose games by a run because our offense sucks? How about all the times we've gone with bullpen games? Those two problems right there are likely helped immensely by one bat and one starting pitcher. But the point is that Jeter and Ng don't even try to improve.

Consistently running out there with 2 or 3 bullpen games a week, 2 or 3 short bench games a week, 2 or 3 blown saves a week, and multiple games where the offense likely just needed one key hit to lock down a win... and doing NOTHING about it???? That's unacceptable. 

They aren't even trying. That's the point. Get a bat and an arm and at least show me some effort and urgency and then I'll be ok. 

Sanchez was just the precursor to what will may see with Cabrera.  That’s how it feels anyway and why not, when they withheld Sanchez just for Dickerson.

Honestly, if I was Ng I wouldn’t give Don another bat until he shows he can manage the ones he has.  They don’t take walks, the K rates are high, no consistency,  poor base running, etc etc

I said this before the end of April, that Don lost his players and it’s a managerial problem. 

24 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Sanchez was just the precursor to what will may see with Cabrera.  That’s how it feels anyway and why not, when they withheld Sanchez just for Dickerson.

Honestly, if I was Ng I wouldn’t give Don another bat until he shows he can manage the ones he has.  They don’t take walks, the K rates are high, no consistency,  poor base running, etc etc

I said this before the end of April, that Don lost his players and it’s a managerial problem. 

This may be completely accurate ...

Good points. They may be doing that.

Hell, Don said there'd start to be consequences for being picked off and what has that consequence been? He hasn't benched anyone for it. Seems the consequence was more playing time. 💁‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Michael said:

This may be completely accurate ...

Good points. They may be doing that.

Hell, Don said there'd start to be consequences for being picked off and what has that consequence been? He hasn't benched anyone for it. Seems the consequence was more playing time. 💁‍♂️

Maybe Don was referring to Isan.  I know he was PO the following game of being sent down.  That’s a good start considering it was done even with a Devers injury.  The lineups construction has been way better, but players aren’t responding.  

Edited by FishFry

I don’t think I’ve ever been more frustrated at this team. I was listening to Mishs last podcast and while they question the decisions of the FO and Donny, they also seemed to give them a break on it. It’s so fucking obvious at this point that this season was sabotaged from inside. They didn’t want to start service time for young players when injuries hit, they don’t want to pay Marte so going out of contention makes it easier to explain to fans why he was traded. They are sacrificing long term by not trying for a winning season when we had a chance even if we didn’t make playoffs to save in the short term

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

Cabrera is also on rehab building up his arm right now.

Kind of an unfair comparison tbh. 

1 minute ago, Das Texan said:

Yeah,  I wasn’t implying he was ready, rather when he is, will it be reminiscent of a Sanchez type hold. 

I’m no expert on conditioning, but if he doesn’t have any set backs in his next outing, why not.   It’s not like he has to pitch 8-9 innings. 

13 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

7 minutes ago, FishFry said:

Yeah,  I wasn’t implying he was ready, rather when he is, will it be reminiscent of a Sanchez type hold. 

I’m no expert on conditioning, but if he doesn’t have any set backs in his next outing, why not.   It’s not like he has to pitch 8-9 innings. 

Actually I think this is just Cabrera's scheduled path. He never debuted in MLB so I don't think he's still doing "rehab" stints. He's just assigned in AA, full stop.

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Actually I think this is just Cabrera's scheduled path. He never debuted in MLB so I don't think he's still doing "rehab" stints. He's just assigned in AA, full stop.

Yeah, that was the plan going into the season.  

20 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I was at the game Tuesday (I vowed to not go back until they got better but it was a father son day and my boy really wanted to go so I gave in for the father son time) and I was so disgusted realizing that this team is built on "great pitching and then just cross your fingers and pray for a run or two", with the extreme lack of trying to get better when it probably wouldn't even take much to get better.

It's like being on empty and driving past multiple gas stations refusing to stop for gas, I have no sympathy if you run out of gas before reaching your destination. The lack of effort and urgency kills me. 

The additional problem there too is that you are also dependent on your pitching being just about perfect every time they go out with no wiggle room.  And any time the pitching isn't superb like it's been a lot of the time, you may as well just write an L in the books right away aside from their random occasional outbursts of 10 runs.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, Erick said:

It’s inexcusable to be 11 games under .500 with a +15 run differential. Not sure I’ve ever seen that before.

What if I told you the “rebuilt” pen blew 9 of those games? And it’s not happened the last month and a half...

Edited by ZfromCIS

2 hours ago, FishFry said:

The manager is a problem but there are issues with this roster that have nothing to do with the manager and they haven't addressed them. The short bench, not calling up reinforcements when they were obviously in need, allowing so many bullpen days, none of that is on Donnie. The GM should build the roster the best way they can no matter what the manager is doing. "Don sucks" isn't an excuse for Ng to have such poor roster construction. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The additional problem there too is that you are also dependent on your pitching being just about perfect every time they go out with no wiggle room.  And any time the pitching isn't superb like it's been a lot of the time, you may as well just write an L in the books right away aside from their random occasional outbursts of 10 runs.

Yep, feels like the moment the opponent scores a 2nd run the Marlins have already lost. I hate that feeling but it's been that way for quite a bit now. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

The manager is a problem but there are issues with this roster that have nothing to do with the manager and they haven't addressed them. The short bench, not calling up reinforcements when they were obviously in need, allowing so many bullpen days, none of that is on Donnie. The GM should build the roster the best way they can no matter what the manager is doing. "Don sucks" isn't an excuse for Ng to have such poor roster construction. 

Both parties are responsible, there’s no denying that, but a good manager can get more out of a team and cover up a lot of the mistakes our GM has done.  What Donnie does is expose the GM for every nook and cranny by not managing properly even with a short bench (still pitch hitting pitchers first) and a shaky bullpen (not proper bullpen order) along with resting your best players all on the same day.  That exposes a GM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishFry said:

Both parties are responsible, there’s no denying that, but a good manager can get more out of a team and cover up a lot of the mistakes our GM has done.  What Donnie does is expose the GM for every nook and cranny by not managing properly even with a short bench (still pitch hitting pitchers first) and a shaky bullpen (not proper bullpen order) along with resting your best players all on the same day.  That exposes a GM.

Not disagreeing but how many managers are dealing with the roster issues Donnie is dealing with on a day to day basis? Ng isn't giving Donnie the same number of weapons that other GMs are giving their managers. Her moves and lack of moves are putting Donnie behind the 8 ball before the first pitch is even thrown. It's like they're playing cards and Donnie's deck doesn't have the same number of cards as the opposing manager. 

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

How many of those were caused by managing the bullpen wrong though? 

Mismanagement or not, he’s the one that’s pitching these guys in certain situations. Pen cost us 2 v. The Pirates. That can’t happen especially they’re one of the teams that hit worse than us. They blew the game twice in the BJs series. 2 losses there. Blew 2 vs. the Cards. We’re at 6 now. We blew a game last time we played the Phillies. 7 now. Blew one last time we played the Mets. 8. And we blew one vs the brewers. 9.

8 games where the “rebuilt” pen gave up the lead with the 9th game being Mattingly playing the AAA lineup vs. the Cards and Sandy gave 1 up in the 9th after pitching a goose egg. 

49 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Mismanagement or not, he’s the one that’s pitching these guys in certain situations. Pen cost us 2 v. The Pirates. That can’t happen especially they’re one of the teams that hit worse than us. They blew the game twice in the BJs series. 2 losses there. Blew 2 vs. the Cards. We’re at 6 now. We blew a game last time we played the Phillies. 7 now. Blew one last time we played the Mets. 8. And we blew one vs the brewers. 9.

8 games where the “rebuilt” pen gave up the lead with the 9th game being Mattingly playing the AAA lineup vs. the Cards and Sandy gave 1 up in the 9th after pitching a goose egg. 

I mean......sounds like things were going right then if they were blowing games in the BJ series.

• Like 1
  • Banana 2

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Not disagreeing but how many managers are dealing with the roster issues Donnie is dealing with on a day to day basis? Ng isn't giving Donnie the same number of weapons that other GMs are giving their managers. Her moves and lack of moves are putting Donnie behind the 8 ball before the first pitch is even thrown. It's like they're playing cards and Donnie's deck doesn't have the same number of cards as the opposing manager. 

Be it as it may, Donnie probably leads the league in 1 or 2 run losses this year.  That could have been spelled with a good coach my friend.   I agree with you, but the players are a reflection of their manager and it’s a free for all, how do I look clown fest most of the time. 

The A’s manager would be a good example to getting the most out of his team.  I agree with you, but you won’t find any sympathy from me towards Don as a bad manager